Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Today's Ref

Posted (edited)

James Linington the best we have seen this season, in my opinion.

Edited by First Wazzock
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Not so much the Assistant Referee who didn't flag for offside against Hardie when he was about a yard offside. Thankfully he missed the chance. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, First Wazzock said:

By "best" you mean kindest to us. If I was a Plymouth supporter I'd be fuming. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Why would you be fuming.?..there manager was blaming the Ref too.I felt he was fair and I was at the game too...!!!!

8 minutes ago, Petriix said:

You do know that rugby tackles aren't allowed in football?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Not so much the Assistant Referee who didn't flag for offside against Hardie when he was about a yard offside. Thankfully he missed the chance. 

The assistant was looking the other way half the time. I sit level with the line and watched him. Abysmal display by him.

Effectively sending off their CB for a corner which we subsequently scored from and won the match was pretty fantastic. He was consistent in that he always favoured the attacking team, which is the way ut should be.

9 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Effectively sending off their CB for a corner which we subsequently scored from and won the match was pretty fantastic. He was consistent in that he always favoured the attacking team, which is the way ut should be.

But it's the rule isn't it? If a player needs treatment for an injury he subsequently has to go off for 30 seconds. It was unfortunate for them no doubt, because the defender had been punched in the head by his own keeper - but the ref applied the rule.

11 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

But it's the rule isn't it? If a player needs treatment for an injury he subsequently has to go off for 30 seconds. It was unfortunate for them no doubt, because the defender had been punched in the head by his own keeper - but the ref applied the rule.

Didn't say it wasn't, actually.

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

Didn't say it wasn't, actually.

No, true, you didn't. That particular incident worked to our advantage, but in no way could the ref be blamed for it by Plymouth. 

13 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I think their complaint was that the ref called the trainer on because it was a head injury. The player didn’t want the trainer.

Just now, Hairy Canary said:

I think their complaint was that the ref called the trainer on because it was a head injury. The player didn’t want the trainer.

The player had been punched in the head by his own keeper and given all the concern over head injuries the ref was right to call the trainer on. I think the rule that stipulates the player who is clearly genuinely injured then has to go off for 30 seconds is a stupid one. 

1 minute ago, Hairy Canary said:

Did the ref call it or other Plymouth players? The physio was a bit too urgent tbh. The player clearly wasn't injured and was actually punched by their keeper (irrelevant?). Physio arguably costt them the game. Fine margins.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Did the ref call it or other Plymouth players? The physio was a bit too urgent tbh. The player clearly wasn't injured and was actually punched by their keeper (irrelevant?). Physio arguably costt them the game. Fine margins.

Pretty sure the keeper called the trainer on - or at least got the ref to - but once he’s on it is correct that the guy goes off for the 30 seconds.  It’s not the ref’s fault.  I think he had a decent game. 

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, First Wazzock said:

Completely agree, thought he was excellent, could have very easily given a penalty against us

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alfie54 said:

Completely agree, thought he was excellent, could have very easily given a penalty against us

That yellow he gave for the dive was pretty impressive. Sadly not all have matched his standard.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, First Wazzock said:

100%. 

Two standout decisions . The yellow card for simulation . And the defender being made to go off after (feigning) injury . 

The reason it get a mention is that most refs give percentages. Linington correctly applied non subjective laws. Simulation is a yellow . And injury with the trainer on means leave the pitch and re enter at the sideline. 

Players are so used to “managing” the game (cheating) that when the laws are correctly applied they get the hump. 

Simulation is Ungentlemanly Conduct . If the referee believes the player is looking to deceive the officials . Yellow. 

Re the defender leaving the pitch IFAB says  

An injured player can be assessed on the pitch but should not be treated on the pitch unless it is a serious injury.

A player who is assessed or treated on the pitch must then leave, (Unless it’s a goal keeper) 

Ref was spot on. 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard
  • Like 1

He looks stuck in the chumps - this is his 6th year. No prem. 

Could be we saw the best of him of could be PGMOL don’t like him applying the laws properly . They prefer Hooper . 

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Pretty sure the keeper called the trainer on - or at least got the ref to - but once he’s on it is correct that the guy goes off for the 30 seconds.  It’s not the ref’s fault.  I think he had a decent game. 

Fair enough. From where I sat thought it was the ref doing it urgently after he saw it was a head injury but I probably wasn’t looking at the keeper. 

Generally though I thought he was one of the best refs we’ve seen here this season. 

• Like 1

If the defender gets up he defends the corner. He lay down, pretending to be hurt to waste time and got annoyed he had to go off after HIS keeper called in the physio. Leson to be learnt? Don't try and con the ref. All the defenders fault.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thought he had an excellent game. In the first 15/20 minutes he tried his very best to let the game flow, a few possible/marginal fouls either way that he waved away. But once Plymouth started committing cynical fouls, he punished them accordingly. There wasn't a 'bad' tackle in the game in terms of endangering player safety, but they just kept on taking the yellows to stop promising situations with deliberate fouls.

I was at the right end for the yellow card for simulation, and he was absolutely spot on with that. Up there with the best we've had this season for sure, Sunny Singh Gill also had a great game when we played WBA.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

That yellow he gave for the dive was pretty impressive. Sadly not all have matched his standard.

I'd argue that it was a pretty straightforward decision, to be fair. From my view in the River End, it looked as clear a dive as you're going to see. 

Overall, he had a good game. I think a couple of the Plymouth bookings were very soft, although he could've booked a couple for time wasting, so swings and roundabouts.

4 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'd argue that it was a pretty straightforward decision, to be fair. From my view in the River End, it looked as clear a dive as you're going to see. 

Overall, he had a good game. I think a couple of the Plymouth bookings were very soft, although he could've booked a couple for time wasting, so swings and roundabouts.

I'm in the Upper Barclay and it wasn't so clear cut but fair enough. 

1 hour ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Why? 

I had a pretty good view of the 'dive' and I'm sure there was contact. Sainz also handled in our box and McLean had previously been penalised for an identical infringement further up the pitch. As the game went on he gave more and more to us, seeming to book Plymouth players for every foul. He was a proper homer. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I had a pretty good view of the 'dive' and I'm sure there was contact. Sainz also handled in our box and McLean had previously been penalised for an identical infringement further up the pitch. As the game went on he gave more and more to us, seeming to book Plymouth players for every foul. He was a proper homer. 

All about opinions . 

16 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Sainz definitely got away with one on the handball. Not sure what kind of view the ref had of it, but it was on the assistant's blind side. If he had a clear view and didn't give it, we definitely dodged a bullet.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Watched it on a stream and it’s the clearest dive. Gunn sees he isn’t getting there and pulls his leg back from the challenge. The Sainz ‘handball’ was ball to hand from a bounce 

Edited by Virtual reality

1 minute ago, Virtual reality said:

Watched it on a stream and it’s the clearest dive. Gunn sees he isn’t getting there and pulls his leg back from the challenge. The Sainz ‘handball’ was ball to hand from a bounce 

You’re dead right on the dive/penalty - Petrilix is offside on that one.  I also agree re the handball, and I don’t recall anyone appealing for it with any force.

• Like 1