Sign in to follow this  
essex canary

Robin Sainty Article today

57 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I wouldn't describe the owners of Manchester City as members of the establishment!

Manchester City and its owners are innocent until proven guilty. I know you've found them guilty but the Premier League is still a long way from completing its review. 

Sometimes life doesn't seem fair. Just accept it and live with it. 

How about Robin's argument re West Ham then? In 1992 their Turnover was about 70% more than Norwich City and their wage bill about 25% more. We were able to compete with them quite effectively. Now they have benefitted from a large capacity stadium with a substantial public subsidy. The only way they can fill that stadium is by charging cheap admission prices relative to other clubs and their comparative advantage is likely to guarantee them Premier League football going forward probably in the top half though unlikely to compete for the title.  The in-built disadvantage for provincial clubs such as Norwich City is very, very clear whilst West Ham would be very happy to pull up the drawbridge.  Norwich City themselves have nevertheless adopted the same kind of language eg. defining away membership as a 'separate' product to season ticket priority.

What element of Robin's argument do you disagree with exactly?

On 29/03/2024 at 10:47, wcorkcanary said:

Yes, good slogan. now what? ithink we might need something more detailed before you are declared right for the second time in your life.

Please supply more info on how,exactly, we  'reclaim football'.......should get a few politicians behind such a powerful slogan.

I think we should leave the EFL. We could come up with a portmanteau of EFL and exit... Exit?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, essex canary said:

How about Robin's argument re West Ham then? In 1992 their Turnover was about 70% more than Norwich City and their wage bill about 25% more. We were able to compete with them quite effectively. Now they have benefitted from a large capacity stadium with a substantial public subsidy. The only way they can fill that stadium is by charging cheap admission prices relative to other clubs and their comparative advantage is likely to guarantee them Premier League football going forward probably in the top half though unlikely to compete for the title.  The in-built disadvantage for provincial clubs such as Norwich City is very, very clear whilst West Ham would be very happy to pull up the drawbridge.  Norwich City themselves have nevertheless adopted the same kind of language eg. defining away membership as a 'separate' product to season ticket priority.

What element of Robin's argument do you disagree with exactly?

It's not an argument, it's a meaningless rant. It offers nothing knew and no solutions. It reads like he'd had a couple too many and forgotten he had a deadline. I don't know where the article was published but they'd perhaps be better to get @PurpleCanary or @shefcanaryto do it next time. 

Not sure why you've mentioned the West Ham stadium as Sainty hasnt even referred to it in his article. But they got a good deal, that's it really. 

Have you only just realised that the Premier League is made up of unpleasant people who don't care about football? One of the owners even asked recently for taxpayers to fund building a new stadium. But it's not their fault that some extremely dubious people bought some small clubs and destroyed them. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

9 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It's not an argument, it's a meaningless rant. It offers nothing knew and no solutions. It reads like he'd had a couple too many and forgotten he had a deadline. I don't know where the article was published but they'd perhaps be better to get @PurpleCanary or @shefcanaryto do it next time. 

Not sure why you've mentioned the West Ham stadium as Sainty hasnt even referred to it in his article. But they got a good deal, that's it really. 

Have you only just realised that the Premier League is made up of unpleasant people who don't care about football? One of the owners even asked recently for taxpayers to fund building a new stadium. 

I’ve no idea why he mentioned West Ham either, but they didn’t just get a good deal-their move went against the PL rules about adversely affecting existing clubs in the immediate vicinity.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

But it's not their fault that some extremely dubious people bought some small clubs and destroyed them. 

Well, I think it probably is their fault, but that's a different argument.

I'm just reading that Manchester City, among others, have received a report from someone (their accountants maybe?) about whether they should stop selling season tickets entirely and treat each game for ticketing purposes as a separate event, like a concert. Given that online systems could easily manage this now, this is another real threat to the supporter. Only corporates and the very wealthy get to see every game, most of us save up for one or two games a season - is that a vision of the future of the EPL?

3 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Well, I think it probably is their fault, but that's a different argument.

I'm just reading that Manchester City, among others, have received a report from someone (their accountants maybe?) about whether they should stop selling season tickets entirely and treat each game for ticketing purposes as a separate event, like a concert. Given that online systems could easily manage this now, this is another real threat to the supporter. Only corporates and the very wealthy get to see every game, most of us save up for one or two games a season - is that a vision of the future of the EPL?

My God! I absolutely despair. No doubt they would have a paid membership scheme to give some people first dibs. One day it will come back to bite them all. 

If Norwich City did that I'd say goodbye and just watch local football. 

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Have you only just realised that the Premier League is made up of unpleasant people who don't care about football? One of the owners even asked recently for taxpayers to fund building a new stadium. But it's not their fault that some extremely dubious people bought some small clubs and destroyed them. 

Couldn't afford me. But Shef probably charges less... 

• Haha 2

My God! I absolutely despair. No doubt they would have a paid membership scheme to give some people first dibs. One day it will come back to bite them all. 

If Norwich City did that I'd say goodbye and just watch local football. 

That's just the point. Note that in the last Premier League season bar one NCFC committed to home casual seats seats at £30. Then last time round put them up to an average £44. A move clearly aimed at the tourists rather than the locals. 

The West Ham owner is quoted in the article.

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Couldn't afford me. But Shef probably charges less... 

Shef should charge more as he has to pay tax.

38 minutes ago, essex canary said:

That's just the point. Note that in the last Premier League season bar one NCFC committed to home casual seats seats at £30. Then last time round put them up to an average £44. A move clearly aimed at the tourists rather than the locals. 

The West Ham owner is quoted in the article.

The comment was nothing to do with match day ticket prices. @sgncfcwas talking about Premier League clubs being encouraged by advisers to scrap season tickets and sell tickets on a game by game basis. I doubt Norwich would be tempted but if they did they would lose a lot of support. I also suspect the big 6 supporters would react in the same way as the European league proposal. 

Shef should charge more as he has to pay tax.

Yes, I get the joke, and it is a decent one, I grant you. But if the pink un told Shef he could include a diatribe about corporate governance at Carrow Road then far from wanting more money he would offer to pay to do so…😍

• Haha 1

The comment was nothing to do with match day ticket prices. @sgncfcwas talking about Premier League clubs being encouraged by advisers to scrap season tickets and sell tickets on a game by game basis. I doubt Norwich would be tempted but if they did they would lose a lot of support. I also suspect the big 6 supporters would react in the same way as the European league proposal. 

Hope you have caught up on the latest rumpus at Spurs re withdrawing OAP concessions. At least in that context Norwich"s percentage discount is very generous. 

Not necessarily so for young people. The young mum who can't release her shares which would otherwise pay twice over for a season ticket forks out £616 a year compared to £434 for her Leicester supporting friend.

2 hours ago, essex canary said:

Hope you have caught up on the latest rumpus at Spurs re withdrawing OAP concessions. At least in that context Norwich"s percentage discount is very generous. 

Not necessarily so for young people. The young mum who can't release her shares which would otherwise pay twice over for a season ticket forks out £616 a year compared to £434 for her Leicester supporting friend.

Says the bloke who gets the biggest concession of all. 

9 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Says the bloke who gets the biggest concession of all. 

If the Club wants to give me my money back, a Nationwide Building Society ISA will currently give me more or less the same return to buy my season ticket.

12 minutes ago, essex canary said:

If the Club wants to give me my money back, a Nationwide Building Society ISA will currently give me more or less the same return to buy my season ticket.

Me me me me me me me…

58 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Me me me me me me me…

You wouldn’t aim that at the majority owners then in terms of effectively financing their pub with effectively interest free supporters money?

10 minutes ago, essex canary said:

You wouldn’t aim that at the majority owners then in terms of effectively financing their pub with effectively interest free supporters money?

Sorry, I’m lost. What is ‘their pub’ and how is it financed by supporters other than them?

If Man City were to be punished, and that punishment was relegation to the championship, Could Championship clubs refuse that punishment? I see little enthusiasm by any championship club to have to compete in a season that has Man City in the league. As mentioned elsewhere on this thread this isn’t likely to be a problem anytime soon I doubt 

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Sorry, I’m lost. What is ‘their pub’ and how is it financed by supporters other than them?

The Lion and Castle shown as an equity investment by S&J in last years accounts. Sorry their priority should be to release non-interest bearing shares in the football club especially when in the hands of people who didn't buy them in the first place. Milk and Alcohol,  I maybe partial to the sauce but I know which liquid is more important in life.

16 hours ago, essex canary said:

The Lion and Castle shown as an equity investment by S&J in last years accounts. Sorry their priority should be to release non-interest bearing shares in the football club especially when in the hands of people who didn't buy them in the first place. Milk and Alcohol,  I maybe partial to the sauce but I know which liquid is more important in life.

Well, I for one am grateful for the Lion and Castle. It's a bit like your roadshows in that it's something fans have asked for in the past. But you obviously didn't ask for it so it doesn't fit the me me me me me narrative...

On 30/03/2024 at 19:32, essex canary said:

The Club doesn’t buy back its own shares. If you want your money back then you will have to sell your shares, just like other shareholders.

Even if they did suddenly decide to do so (they won’t) would you be willing to pay the equivalent amount for the cost of using your seat for the past 22 years? 

22 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Well, I for one am grateful for the Lion and Castle. It's a bit like your roadshows in that it's something fans have asked for in the past. But you obviously didn't ask for it so it doesn't fit the me me me me me narrative...

I guess the L&C is a little more comfortable than an AGM these days.

I guess the L&C is a little more comfortable than an AGM these days.

Can anybody put this in plain english ?

6 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Can anybody put this in plain english ?

The lion and  castle doesn't make Essex any money therefore it's wrong