Sign in to follow this  
JonnyJonnyRowe

Where is the statement from the club?

And which individual makes the decision on whether and when a statement is released?

Would this be Stuart Webbers wife? Does she lead all non-football operations?

It's a weekend.

We already have multiple threads on this.

PR isn't necessarily done in anyone's name.

Any club statement will likely be run by the board. 

1 minute ago, chicken said:

It's a weekend.

We already have multiple threads on this.

PR isn't necessarily done in anyone's name.

Any club statement will likely be run by the board. 

I'm sure in a crisis situation one of you comms guys would work a weekend to respond to an incident?

They've literally published a post today about the women's team benefiting from a £200k donation.

Remember that two of the players entangled are current club employees! Do you think if either of those were subjected to a racist comment from an opposition player on a Saturday game day it would take the club until Monday to comment on it?

It's not a "crisis" situation though is it?

There are four posts on the club website from this weekend. All either promoting aspects of the womens game that was held at Carrow Road or the write up for it.

That includes the £200k donation piece. Which isn't new news as such as it was agreed in Sept 2022. Not only that, but if you have ever run a website or even a blog, you can line up articles to be published on a time and date without having to be present to launch them. The program/blog will do it for you.

These also aren't that sort of PR. A club statement will likely need to be run by the board members, not all of whom may even be in the same time zone.

It rarely is good to knee-jerk react either. A considered approach is often the best route. 

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

He's not employed by the club. Or is he? The contract thing is strange

What's that got to do with anything? Two of their current employees have just been smeared, they should be showing their support to those players. 

Not that in Abu Kamara's excellent statement he thanked the Norwich FANS for their support, but not the club itself, which is quite alarming.

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

He's not employed by the club. Or is he? The contract thing is strange

Supposedly working off his notice is what some folks are saying. Reality is that he doesn't hold a position with the club. He's left, and we're simply holding up our contractual obligation.

I think folks will find that it was widely reported he left the club "early" for Knapper to come in sooner. Like I say, if it's simply contractual he doesn't actually hold a position so in theory, isn't "employed" by the club but is simply being paid his notice period. Companies do this a fair bit if it is someone that is leaving and their position is perhaps better left than keep them on board when it clearly isn't working out. 

3 minutes ago, chicken said:

It's not a "crisis" situation though is it?

There are four posts on the club website from this weekend. All either promoting aspects of the womens game that was held at Carrow Road or the write up for it.

That includes the £200k donation piece. Which isn't new news as such as it was agreed in Sept 2022. Not only that, but if you have ever run a website or even a blog, you can line up articles to be published on a time and date without having to be present to launch them. The program/blog will do it for you.

These also aren't that sort of PR. A club statement will likely need to be run by the board members, not all of whom may even be in the same time zone.

It rarely is good to knee-jerk react either. A considered approach is often the best route. 

Let's see if a statement is made on Monday then. 

Would you agree that it would not be a good look if one isn't?

Just now, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

What's that got to do with anything? Two of their current employees have just been smeared, they should be showing their support to those players. 

Not that in Abu Kamara's excellent statement he thanked the Norwich FANS for their support, but not the club itself, which is quite alarming.

None of this is necessarily true. Kamara is on social media thanking the fans on social media. Note that he doesn't think Portsmouth FC either. You are reading way too much into this... and still seemingly want this thread to be about you and your offense.

I hope the club is in contact with our players, past and present, and consulting them in the way in which to proceed together. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Let's see if a statement is made on Monday then. 

Would you agree that it would not be a good look if one isn't?

Monday/Tuesday. I would like the players to have an input into the statement the club releases. I would also not want the club to steam-roll any statement the players themselves have made or would like to make - eg Kamara.

I actually think you massively miss the importance of that post of his and actually diminish it as a result. 

Just now, chicken said:

None of this is necessarily true. Kamara is on social media thanking the fans on social media. Note that he doesn't think Portsmouth FC either. You are reading way too much into this... and still seemingly want this thread to be about you and your offense.

I hope the club is in contact with our players, past and present, and consulting them in the way in which to proceed together. 

I find it difficult to envisage a situation whereby a statement would offer sufficient support to those players without making either Zoe Webber's continued employment or Zoe Webber's marriage untenable.

This was always going to be the problem with having half of Webber and Webberer hanging around.

3 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

I find it difficult to envisage a situation whereby a statement would offer sufficient support to those players without making either Zoe Webber's continued employment or Zoe Webber's marriage untenable.

This was always going to be the problem with having half of Webber and Webberer hanging around.

This is your problem, no one else's.

What the players in question feel and think is far more important than your assumptions and guesswork. Just because you find something difficult to envisage, doesn't mean it isn't perfectly achievable, especially when it comes to something like this which is generally made out to be some huge disaster.

11 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Not sure that’s really the case. Stuart will know he’s screwed up. He will also know how football and PR works. Absolutely no reason why a suitably worded statement cannot be put out even if its a bit embarrassing for him. 

Just your standard lack of governance that Delia shot down Connor for having the cahones to ask about.

littke will change until Delia and Michael exit and the Americans can put some proper personnel in.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Soldier on said:

Just your standard lack of governance that Delia shot down Connor for having the cahones to ask about.

littke will change until Delia and Michael exit and the Americans can put some proper personnel in.

This has nothing to do with any lack of corporate governance. Webber no longer works for the club and even if he'd said this when he did no amount of corporate governance would have prevented that.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

This has nothing to do with any lack of corporate governance. Webber no longer works for the club and even if he'd said this when he did no amount of corporate governance would have prevented that.

Not sure that’s strictly true Purple.

1. he technically is still under contract by the club, just on gardening leave effectively, he confirmed that himself.

2. Depending on how you choose define Corporate Governance but I’d still argue part of a broad definition would include the boards responsibility to challenge management performance. Given the number of (increasingly worse) faux pas Webber has dropped in his time you could question whether he was challenged on his poor PR during his tenure as it doesn’t appear so.

39 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

39 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I don’t mean reference Webber’s interview although he is still an NCFC employeee more the clubs reaction to it. This will come now Canaries Trust chasing them but should have been ready at 0900 hours this morning at the very latest . Just unprofessional.

Hearing some rumours on the grapevine that the club is planning to put out a statement of some kind today 

From social media though so take it with a big ol pinch of salt

1 hour ago, Soldier on said:

Delia Smith is probably totally unaware of what has happened these last few days. If she is,she will quickly assume the ostrich position of head in sand,where she can't hear the noise!!

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Hearing some rumours on the grapevine that the club is planning to put out a statement of some kind today 

Superb job both managing to post, and yet not saying anything at all 🤣

24 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I'm hearing that Stuart Webber is making a £20M donation to the Conservative party and "considers the matter closed".

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Delia Smith is probably totally unaware of what has happened these last few days. If she is,she will quickly assume the ostrich position of head in sand,where she can't hear the noise!!

I really hope someone from the club has briefed her, but you never know what with our lot. Perhaps Zoe gave her a call. 'Morning Delia, hubby's put his foot in it again.....'

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Not sure that’s strictly true Purple.

1. he technically is still under contract by the club, just on gardening leave effectively, he confirmed that himself.

2. Depending on how you choose define Corporate Governance but I’d still argue part of a broad definition would include the boards responsibility to challenge management performance. Given the number of (increasingly worse) faux pas Webber has dropped in his time you could question whether he was challenged on his poor PR during his tenure as it doesn’t appear so.

But he is no longer working for the club, and none of the reports I have seen in the national media regarded him as still being at the club. It was all "former" or "ex-".

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Perhaps Zoe gave her a call. 'Morning Delia, hubby's put his foot in it again.....'

"You're joking - Not another one!?"

48 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I really hope someone from the club has briefed her, but you never know what with our lot. Perhaps Zoe gave her a call. 'Morning Delia, hubby's put his foot in it again.....'

Delia’s reply.

”They have no idea”

44 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

But he is no longer working for the club, and none of the reports I have seen in the national media regarded him as still being at the club. It was all "former" or "ex-".

Thought he was contracted to club until 31st March ?

1 minute ago, Soldier on said:

Thought he was contracted to club until 31st March ?

But there is no suggestion that he is still working at or for the club. He is on gardening leave getting ready to risk his life climbing a mountain.

45 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

But he is no longer working for the club

Abu Kamara and Jonathan Rowe are. Feel that we as a club should be standing up for them, and Max and Jamal too.

The club is not responsible for what SW says any more, sure, but it should be a pretty straightforward matter to put out a statement saying that his comments in no way reflect the values of, or working environment at, the club.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Abu Kamara and Jonathan Rowe are. Feel that we as a club should be standing up for them, and Max and Jamal too.

The club is not responsible for what SW says any more, sure, but it should be a pretty straightforward matter to put out a statement saying that his comments in no way reflect the values of, or working environment at, the club.

I agree. It was a very stupid thing for Webber to say. And although I don't see how this reflects badly on the club, or how realistically it could have been avoided by the club, a statement very much on the lines you suggest ought to be issued.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Like 1