Sign in to follow this  
RobJames

Four more wins....

Should do it, a couple of draws as well would help.

Should do it. But is scraping into sixth all we can achieve ? Definitely not, is my thought

We were 8 points adrift of WBA and 13th v 5th place at the start of the year.  That's where our focus should be. Taking that 5th place. The team has only one target, and that is to gain as many points as possible over the next 8 games

Fans can calculate all the permutations, predict results and analyse to the nth degree, but it all comes down to the unknown. That 'factor' which saw us proving pre match thoughts after 20 mins at Boro. A result that looked in the bag.  Bang, a 3-1 defeat. A result it was suggested had broken our previous momentum, and prefaced the end of the world (or play off place) for some, on here anyway. We bounced back etc.

However, when we were 8 points behind WBA they were only 3 points behind Leeds. That has now grown to 16 points, over 13 games. We require 5 points over 8 games. Can we do it, yep ?  Will we do it, who knows ?

So maybe let's have a bit less talk of 6th place, instead talk of us hitting 5th place. As said, what we say won't affect anything that happens over the remaining games, but it might make this forum read a bit more upbeat, and give dear old Cambs a new topic....... .........

..............as if he ever needed an excuse 😊

I said elsewhere, if we carry on the form we’ve been on since Bonfire Night (23 games) we will finish with 76 points. That should be enough for 6th. I think WBA would need their form to collapse for us to get 5th. But you never know. 

Binners or Southampton in the play offs doesn’t scare me. 

• Like 1

Plymouth, Swansea and Bristol City at Home should be nine points.

Saying that I think we should take it a game at a time beat Plymouth and then in my opinion the Leicester game becomes a free hit. 

It is our improving form that gives me encouragement. As a whole, and in various individuals.  The points gained before Xmas were by dogged resilience. That resilience has carried but now with a bit more expansive play and belief.

It doesn't require WBA to do anything different over these next 8 games. It just requires us to take the fight to Leics, the binners and even Preston. Finishing 5th only will be the difference between meeting the binners or Soton in the semis.

However, it is more the mindset of our supporters. We need to go into these game believing we can win them all. Not hoping to scrape into 6th because those below have messed up.

Up and at 'em. says I 😜

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Plymouth, Swansea and Bristol City at Home should be nine points.

Saying that I think we should take it a game at a time beat Plymouth and then in my opinion the Leicester game becomes a free hit. 

I think thats what happens, I cannot recollect us ever playing games at the same time 😉

10 minutes ago, RobJames said:

It is our improving form that gives me encouragement. As a whole, and in various individuals.  The points gained before Xmas were by dogged resilience. That resilience has carried but now with a bit more expansive play and belief.

It doesn't require WBA to do anything different over these next 8 games. It just requires us to take the fight to Leics, the binners and even Preston. Finishing 5th only will be the difference between meeting the binners or Soton in the semis.

However, it is more the mindset of our supporters. We need to go into these game believing we can win them all. Not hoping to scrape into 6th because those below have messed up.

Up and at 'em. says I 😜

Can’t argue with that. Did this predictor thing and we ended on 80 points! 
https://thefishy.co.uk/calculator0.php?competition=2

Others would probably have us ending on 70.

Mystig meg territory. Or horse racing tipsters stuff.

There is only one certainty. We will achieve anywhere between 0-24 points.  To predict what will happen v Leics is to assume everything is as it is now (no injuries) there are no dodgy decisions or open goals missed. Counting chickens, eggs etc. It will come down to who wants it more, underpinned by players having the necessary ability to deliver.

It is more how each of us see these upcoming games. A chance to batter our way clear, or to humbly hope for sixth place by one point. As a positive City fan I would always lump for the first, though all evidence over rides that dogged faith.  On current form we look capable of giving other teams a run for their money

It's whether one thinks we should relish this unexpected chance, or one fears we might fail.

Let's get at 'em.

1 hour ago, Duncan Edwards said:

I did it and had us finishing on 59. 2 point deduction because of Stuart Webber being a Klansman. Or something. 

Can see this happening

Just our luck to get materially punished for someone whose only relations to the club are marital

1 hour ago, Duncan Edwards said:

I did it and had us finishing on 59. 2 point deduction because of Stuart Webber being a Klansman. Or something. 

I can see that now:

Q: Who is a head coach you really admire?

A: I have always been a big Klansman fan.

Q: Klansman?

A: Yeah, great coach, really got the Americans going over there. Inspirational stuff, powerful speaker.

Norwich City Statement: We would really like to push Stuart Webber off in a small boat without paddles into the Atlantic. Although we are thoroughly convinced he meant to say Klinsmann, we are beyond tired of having to release statements every time he drops a gaff in an interview. We would like to wish him luck in his future career, along with any future employer in the National League.... Tiddly-Winks League... 

On 24/03/2024 at 19:56, RobJames said:

Up and at 'em. says I

Another two points closer to WBA and 5th place.  Down to one win now (g/d accepted) yet still most are focussed on scaping clear of those below. Set aside the Coventry v Hull game and the obvious implications, we are playing well enough to overhaul WBA.

Does it matter 5th or 6th. Not positionally, we would srill be in the play offs. either way. However it would indicate just how good our current form is and so set us up in a strong position to take on the semi finals

Having said that alot can happen, and will, over the next seven games, but maybe some might think about looking up rather than being fearful of what's below.

• Like 1

Happy with the win today.  I'm a bit worried about our defending still.  Hopefully the playing midfielders at centreback experiment will come to an end as we will have more defenders healthy soon.

We are ripping into the opposition which leaves us stretched, and if the opposition get the ball up to the half way line, it often means it's equal numbers as our defenders work out who to mark.

It does make for exciting quick attacking football, but doesn't do much for the heart, though it is one goal conceded in the  past three games

Current average for 6th place is now 72 points - meaning three more wins  (we won one of that four today) for us would put us on 73 points. What ever happens v Leics we will still be in the play off places when the bin filth tip up Saturday

38 minutes ago, Haus said:

Happy with the win today.  I'm a bit worried about our defending still.  Hopefully the playing midfielders at centreback experiment will come to an end as we will have more defenders healthy soon.

Yeah I think Kieffer Moore up against Sorensen will be painful, but Gibbo or Duffy would be better.

Our attack play is excellent at times, but boy our defending is grade A woeful also.

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Yeah I think Kieffer Moore up against Sorensen will be painful, but Gibbo or Duffy would be better.

Our attack play is excellent at times, but boy our defending is grade A woeful also.

Edited down to

oh fark yesss,and oh fark nooooo

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Deffo Duffy needed

The only competition for 6th place is now Coventry, Hull and Preston. Looking at their run ins I think we can afford to lose 3 games out of 7 and still sneak in. 

The three more wins with a couple of draws still holds.

And if we are able to better our goal difference it means Coventry need either six more wins from their remaining 8 games or five and 1 draw, with games v Leeds, Hull, Soton, and the binners, plus an likely arduous FA Cup semi v Man Utd.

A cup run did for Leeds back in 2010. That FA semi kicks off 5 games in less than a fortnight for Coventry.

As it stands Preston have us, WBA, Soton and Leics and Soton, with Hull having to play Leeds, Coventry and the binners.

But as our games v Boro and Plymouth have shown there are no easier games. And come Monday night the predictions could all change. Though all we have to do is finish one point ahead off 7th place and that requires not mathematical calculations but simply picking up points consistently. As it stands we are.

Whether that remains is down to form and luck, as in the shot hitting Gunns outstretch leg, the ball coming off their defender for an own goal and the odd dodgy ref deciding to send off Sainz at Boro.

Such is the game we all love. ☺️

On 29/03/2024 at 21:35, RobJames said:

Current average for 6th place is now 72 points - meaning three more wins  (we won one of that four today) for us would put us on 73 points. What ever happens v Leics we will still be in the play off places when the bin filth tip up Saturday

After today that average has slipped to 70.7 points - what the 7th placed team have achieved so far, then multiplied by 46. 

It has been around 69-72 since the New Year, so there is every thought that it will be there or there about come May.

So the three more wins still holds good, actually slightly better, in fact

• Like 1

Other results keep going our way. I think it's between us and Coventry now, Hull have forgotten how to win a game.

3 more wins should do it as I can't see Coventry winning more than 4.

On 29/03/2024 at 18:57, RobJames said:

Another two points closer to WBA and 5th place.  Down to one win now (g/d accepted) yet still most are focussed on scraping clear of those below. Set aside the Coventry v Hull game and the obvious implications, we are playing well enough to overhaul WBA.

Does it matter 5th or 6th. Not positionally, we would still be in the play offs. either way. However it would indicate just how good our current form is and so set us up in a strong position to take on the semi finals

Having said that a lot can happen, and will, over the next seven games, but maybe some might think about looking up rather than being fearful of what's below.

ha, ye of little faith 😏

An important win today for many reasons. One, that we can beat the 'best' in this league. And we did it by scrapping and getting stuck in. An approach since Xmas that has seen us rack up an automatic total if played over the season.

I'll stick with my previous thought that we would need four more wins - two more now, after two of those four now gained.

So is 73 our target ?  Absolutely not. Our target is to pickup as many points as we can over the next five games, and see where that leads us. If we continue with this approach then all five are winnable. The concern is which City team will turn up. That of today or the lacklustre one against Boro and Leics ?

If it is the former then I believe we can go all the way. This time as underdogs. With a threadbare squad. beggar all on the bench and little else by a dogged determination to win .... and that's what counts.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Our run in looked favourable, but 3 of the 5 remaining games are tough. The next two away, Sheff Wed fighting for their lives, and Preston who will see us as last chance saloon for their playoff bid. 

Leaving it to the last day risks playing a Birmingham side needing a result to stay up…

Still some had work left to do. I think we need 4 wins still, 79 points will do it.

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

On 29/03/2024 at 21:35, RobJames said:

Another two points closer to WBA and 5th place.  Down to one win now (g/d accepted) yet still most are focussed on scraping clear of those below. Set aside the Coventry v Hull game and the obvious implications, we are playing well enough to overhaul WBA. 2/4/24

Current average for 6th place is now 72 points - meaning three more wins  (we won one of that four today) for us would put us on 73 points. What ever happens v Leics we will still be in the play off places when the bin filth tip up Saturday 2/4/24

nb two merged threads

So WBA, still think it is not possible ?

And the current season average for 6th place is now down to 71 points

My thought a few weeks back was, that we would need four wins and maybe a couple of draws still stands, - after three of those wins and one draw.

So one win against Swansea, Brum and Brizzle will do it.

• Like 1

On 24/03/2024 at 16:34, nutty nigel said:

I said elsewhere, if we carry on the form we’ve been on since Bonfire Night (23 games) we will finish with 76 points. That should be enough for 6th. I think WBA would need their form to collapse for us to get 5th. But you never know. 

Binners or Southampton in the play offs doesn’t scare me. 

Nothing  scares Guy Fawkes 😉🙃