On 20/03/2024 at 22:45, Google Bot said:

I'd be happy for him, but gutted for us.  It just flabbergasts me that we'd pick Springett, Onel & PP to go into a season ahead of him, and said it all throughout pre-season and beyond.

He's such a natural on the ball and as he matures his stocky build will make him a tough opponent.

Wages 

I get the feeling that from the start of this season Webber's only concern was how things would look on his CV, so he wanted to get the headline debt figure down as much as possible and was willing to take short-term decisions in the hope of things looking good when he left.

Ironically, the opposite happened, we were looking woeful, and it now appears as if the upturn in fortunes coincided with his leaving.

How sad for that to happen to such a nice guy.

3 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

But if they have an agreement to sell him on immediately, with the paperwork to prove it, couldn't they just get a short-term loan from a bank?

Is that even allowed? I was under the impression you couldn't sell a player that you had bought for "X" amount of time, but no idea if that is actually true or not.

Posted (edited)

Of course, Bushiri was at Hibs on loan with an agreement to buy based on appearances, at the end of the season Hibs sent him back, then later discovered they had to u-turn and sign him permanently as the clause had been triggered.

Just to provide a recent example of how firm these contractual agreements are.

Edited by Google Bot

3 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

I get the feeling that from the start of this season Webber's only concern was how things would look on his CV, so he wanted to get the headline debt figure down as much as possible and was willing to take short-term decisions in the hope of things looking good when he left.

Ironically, the opposite happened, we were looking woeful, and it now appears as if the upturn in fortunes coincided with his leaving.

Or conversely, the upturn in form this season which may see us end up in the play-offs is as a result of his manager choice, his player recruitment, his training ground work, his youth development policies (Rowe) etc.

As for Tzolis, looked useless here, a good finisher but beyond that too slow and lacking physicality to play football in England. No one can deny he's had an absolutely excellent season this time round in Germany, although even at that level there's been significant doubts from their coaches regarding his ability to press, defend etc. Doesn't matter if you're delivering the goals and assists he is at that level but I have zero expectation he could do it over here.

4 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

But if they have an agreement to sell him on immediately, with the paperwork to prove it, couldn't they just get a short-term loan from a bank?

we will have to see but the norm is for banks to want huge interest charges over a long time on loans like that 

32 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Or conversely, the upturn in form this season which may see us end up in the play-offs is as a result of his manager choice, his player recruitment, his training ground work, his youth development policies (Rowe) etc.

As for Tzolis, looked useless here, a good finisher but beyond that too slow and lacking physicality to play football in England. No one can deny he's had an absolutely excellent season this time round in Germany, although even at that level there's been significant doubts from their coaches regarding his ability to press, defend etc. Doesn't matter if you're delivering the goals and assists he is at that level but I have zero expectation he could do it over here.

Note that I did say 'coincided'. Despite my dislike of Webber, I doubt very much whether the upturn in form since he left is anything more than coincidence, even if I wouldn't mind another stick to beat him with 🙂

His player recruitment was very mixed, although I accept that the good ones were very good - Buendia, Pukki, Sara, Sainz.

I'm still delighted he's gone, though. He'd overspent his time here, he'd become toxic, and I suspect even he knew that.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Note that I did say 'coincided'. Despite my dislike of Webber, I doubt very much whether the upturn in form since he left is anything more than coincidence, even if I wouldn't mind another stick to beat him with 🙂

His player recruitment was very mixed, although I accept that the good ones were very good - Buendia, Pukki, Sara, Sainz.

I'm still delighted he's gone, though. He'd overspent his time here, he'd become toxic, and I suspect even he knew that.

Yes, well, let's hope Knapper can deliver those sort of game-changing signings that a club with our finances require. Unless that changes slightly with MA and we can afford to just consistently go for proven players. Might be a bit more boring though.

1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

I suspect you are very , very correct👍🤣

On 20/03/2024 at 18:45, Google Bot said:

I'd be happy for him, but gutted for us.  It just flabbergasts me that we'd pick Springett, Onel & PP to go into a season ahead of him, and said it all throughout pre-season and beyond.

He's such a natural on the ball and as he matures his stocky build will make him a tough opponent.

To be fair, another one singled out by parts of our fan base as rubbish, so was desperately unhappy and wanted out. It can’t help your development when you are subjected to negativity.

Lets hope some of those targeted this year, decide to stay, but of course if they decide to go, the same parts of our fan base will be attacking the club as selling them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

It doesn't. The upturn in fortunes on the pitch has been the return of Sargent, Barnes and Sainz with form improvements from the likes of Stacey and Nunez.

Off the pitch... Tzolis is doing well in the German 2nd tier. I hope he does do well, but none of that has anything to do with Webber either.

Perhaps it's time to stop obsessing about him?

3 hours ago, Mengo said:

I suspect you are very , very correct👍🤣

He's just been interviewed by Pink'Un and there are discrepancies aplenty in that interview on what he has been quoted as saying in the past - the biggest being he was going to try another sport entirely, yet he talks extensively about "conversations" he has been having with English football clubs, even positing the potential he might end up at a National League club. The guy don't arf spout a yarn!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, shefcanary said:

He's just been interviewed by Pink'Un and there are discrepancies aplenty in that interview on what he has been quoted as saying in the past - the biggest being he was going to try another sport entirely, yet he talks extensively about "conversations" he has been having with English football clubs, even positing the potential he might end up at a National League club. The guy don't arf spout a yarn!

Interesting, discrepancies aplenty shef, I find that hard to believe🤣. Yeah , he always could spout a yarn, most con men, charlatans often do and he is certainly no exception. Oh,   I'm so glad he has gone. I'll have to force myself to look at this interview. I  know beforehand how I will eventually feel🤮

5 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Though, plating devils advocate, he could have changed his mind... and wanting to try a different sport, if you are going by the "money-ball' approach isn't a bad idea if it's one not yet fully embracing it... But he'd still need to convince a club of another sport to take him on.

Either way, it looks like he thought the success at Huddersfield and here, and possibly at Liverpool would be enough to propel him to bigger "projects". National League could well be leaving himself open for another Ryan Reynolds or class of 92 style big investment into a club to get it into the EFL etc.

I never read too much into interviews though. People often take the soundbites they want to, twist them to suit them including reporters etc. Plus this is almost him just saying he is available at this point. 

100% better than Sydney,  Idah and the **** star Hwang

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

I remember someone on here (sorry, can't remember who) saying that Tzolis 'knows where the goal is'. There's a website where you can see all of Dusseldorf's goals and this poster was right - get him into positions where he can score and he will.

Having said that, some of the defences he faces are pretty poor, but so were Cardiff's and Rotherham's.

I still don't think he would suit a Wagner team, though. Judging by those highlights, it seems that Dusseldorf are often happy for him to lurk on the left wing and not have to roam all over the pitch like Sainz does, for example. 

As for not being up to the physicality of the league, I doubt this. He's chunky and he's got four yellows this season, more than any other Dusseldorf player.

Overall, I still can't shake off the feeling that we wasted him and that, given time and encouragement, he would have improved from a poor first season in the same way that Sargent has.

We'll never know now.

Since when do you have to be athletic to get a yellow card?

Edited by CDMullins