Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

R.I.P. Mal Lucas.

May be an image of 13 people, people playing soccer and people playing football

I don't know how this passed me by but Mal { front row far left } died yesterday at the age of 85.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

My memory of Mal Lucas is of him scoring several spectacular volleyed goals  from about 20  yards out - usually with both feet off the ground.  RIP Mal.

• Like 4

Sad news indeed. Mal was playing when I started going. Proper old school half back. Here's his 'Duncan's Club Card'

1376326672_LucasMal-page-001.thumb.jpg.954b6ae6fc891330a1cdf8f97748fd97.jpg

RIP Mal 💛💚

• Like 1

I seem to remember him playing for Norwich v someone in red strips about 1968, then again on my last game for Gorleston v Wisbeach, when he was the manager.

A decent and determined guy.

RIP Mal 

Posted (edited)

One of my earliest autographs!

IMG_0080.JPG

Edited by Kathy
  • Like 5

Saw him smash one into the Barclay end goal, can’t remember who against, when I was about 18, 57 years ago. Always thought he should have scored more; the record of roughly 2 goals per season backs that up. Never less a great player in that era.

I think I can name all the fellow team members in that line up picture, except for the guy sitting next to Mal. Anyone know?

Stringer, Bolland, Brown, Keelan, Alcock, Mullett, Curran, Lucas . ? , Heath, Sheffield, Bryceland, Anderson

Happy Days though in hindsight, the football was pretty dire.

Very sad when a player moves on and from an era when platers stuck around in clubs for longer.

my thoughts are with his family.

R.I.P. Mal. Thanks for  some great memories from back in the 1960's

3 hours ago, Serinus Canaria Domestica said:

Saw him smash one into the Barclay end goal, can’t remember who against, when I was about 18, 57 years ago. Always thought he should have scored more; the record of roughly 2 goals per season backs that up. Never less a great player in that era.

I think I can name all the fellow team members in that line up picture, except for the guy sitting next to Mal. Anyone know?

Stringer, Bolland, Brown, Keelan, Alcock, Mullett, Curran, Lucas . ? , Heath, Sheffield, Bryceland, Anderson

It's a long time ago and my good memory is but a distant memory but my stab in the dark is Mike Kenning.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Barry Brockes said:

It's a long time ago and my good memory is but a distant memory but my stab in the dark is Mike Kenning.

Thanks Barry. Think you are right. That squad was pretty useful for the second tier……

5 hours ago, Serinus Canaria Domestica said:

Dire except Tommy Bryceland! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Serinus Canaria Domestica said:

Thanks Barry. Think you are right. That squad was pretty useful for the second tier……

If it is Mike Kenning he would have to be up there as one of the quickest wingers we ever had. Goodness me he could shift.