Sign in to follow this  
essex canary

A New Fan from Geoffrey Watling Way

Sorry Mr E,

Not a clue what you are driving at here.  Can you please explain your point to the simpletons amongst us before the usual suspects get on their hobby horse and ridicule you and your posts for their own amusement.

Thanks

14 minutes ago, debbie does norwich said:

Sorry Mr E,

Not a clue what you are driving at here.  Can you please explain your point to the simpletons amongst us before the usual suspects get on their hobby horse and ridicule you and your posts for their own amusement.

Thanks

That many of us believe there is something about local identity in following a Football Club and don't always want to fully embrace Globalisation. 

IDK. If Zoe doesn’t live on Geoffrey Watling Way, then I’m stumped. 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, essex canary said:

That many of us believe there is something about local identity in following a Football Club and don't always want to fully embrace Globalisation. 

This is clearly a local club for local people.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, essex canary said:

(In the light of recent posts, I can only apologise for the incorrect spelling of you’re).

IMG_0096.jpeg

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

This is clearly a local club for local people.

From now on when I think of Essex canary….

IMG_0097.jpeg

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, debbie does norwich said:

Sorry Mr E,

Thanks

It's his idea of humour - someone recently started a thread entitled "A new fan from Canada". 

59 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Still haven't got the faintest idea what you're talking about I'm afraid. 

Cue for a joke...... 

@dylanisabaddog

There's a lovely new fan from Canada who recently started a thread about how he's really getting into supporting our wonderful club.

This is bad, apparently, because reasons.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Still doesn't explain who or what was in G. W. Way that gave you concern.

I was down there yesterday and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

But whatever it was, some level of Globalisation is necessary for our survival, it's the subjective measure of where one draws the line.

I for instance have no connection with norwich as a city, or even with Norfolk but still travel 80+ miles each way every other week and even farther for most away games. Thus have no local identity.

On a more personal note, I genuinely don't know how you put up with the antics and comments on this board. I was hurt and considered leaving after being accused of being a club knocker for having concerns about my away matchpick.

Sometimes your posts are too niche for my particular interests but I support your right to air them without having to face the torrent of abuse aimed at you.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

It's his idea of humour - someone recently started a thread entitled "A new fan from Canada". 

Whoops sorry, I was writing my reply and missed your explanation. (+ others doing similar). Slow, one finger typist!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, debbie does norwich said:

But whatever it was, some level of Globalisation is necessary for our survival, it's the subjective measure of where one draws the line.

I for instance have no connection with norwich as a city, or even with Norfolk but still travel 80+ miles each way every other week and even farther for most away games. Thus have no local identity.

On a more personal note, I genuinely don't know how you put up with the antics and comments on this board. I was hurt and considered leaving after being accused of being a club knocker for having concerns about my away matchpick.

Sometimes your posts are too niche for my particular interests but I support your right to air them without having to face the torrent of abuse aimed at you.

There WASN'T anything in Geoffrey Watling Way - he's just taking a snidey pop at the club for caring about the environment. The irony of him doing so when his own username indicates he comes from/resides in a county about 80 miles away appears to be lost on him.........................

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

@dylanisabaddog

There's a lovely new fan from Canada who recently started a thread about how he's really getting into supporting our wonderful club.

This is bad, apparently, because reasons.

Thank you. 

I'm not sure how to respond. 

Am I right in thinking we won 5-0 yesterday and moved into the play off positions? 

And we have a new owner who's given us some money? (not Essex though) 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, debbie does norwich said:

Many thanks and apologies for any offence taken.

I was being a little tongue in cheek though did want to reflect the point that going to matches and/or local identity are elements of being a football fan.

For context I am Norwich born and bred, for many years have done 200 mile round trips to home games now reduced to 30. When holidaying in Spain next week I will likely watch the local second tier team but whilst I take an interest I wouldn't consider myself a fan as such and there is plenty of info on the Internet. I will also likely watch some of the international under 18 Tournament involving England, Holland, Germany and the Czech Republic.

Yes you have to be thick skinned on here which is a little disappointing.

• Haha 1

On 10/03/2024 at 15:28, essex canary said:

Yes you have to be thick skinned on here which is a little disappointing.

Well, you’re half way there. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

The irony of this joke being that Essex has admitted traveling further, for longer, than a Canadian fan does to watch it on TV... I think the joke is on him... Globalisation... I mean, that happened, as in actually happened, in the 60's and 70's. I'd say closing the stable door after the horse bolted but that's so long ago that horse sired a horse which sired another horse which also sired a horse. The horse that bolter now has several stables of descendants and they live all around Europe.

• Haha 1

Poster entitled Essex Canary whinges about fans not being from the local area. 

31 minutes ago, S_81 said:

Poster entitled Essex Canary whinges about fans not being from the local area. 

I am from the local area but spent 35 years in exile now returned. Even in exile I was still a regular match going fan.  How do we - or anyone - trade off spreading the word against local identity?

15 minutes ago, essex canary said:

I am from the local area but spent 35 years in exile now returned. Even in exile I was still a regular match going fan.  How do we - or anyone - trade off spreading the word against local identity?

Who gives a crap?

It's not 1920. Your op is embarrassing and in extremely bad taste considering it's a parody of the Canadian fan who found us vis out mental health video.

Give your head a wobble mate 

• Like 5

We've had supporters from overseas for a long time, I met some friendly Norwich fans from Norway about 10 years ago in the Coach & Horses pub before the game. Think we also had some Italian canaries over for a recent home game. It's a shame we don't have more overseas supporters, but they tend to choose the smaller teams like Man United or Barcelona over us!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Who gives a crap?

It's not 1920. Your op is embarrassing and in extremely bad taste considering it's a parody of the Canadian fan who found us vis out mental health video.

Give your head a wobble mate 

He's not good at reading the room. 

Or screenshots.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, chicken said:

The irony of this joke being that Essex has admitted traveling further, for longer, than a Canadian fan does to watch it on TV... I think the joke is on him... Globalisation... I mean, that happened, as in actually happened, in the 60's and 70's. I'd say closing the stable door after the horse bolted but that's so long ago that horse sired a horse which sired another horse which also sired a horse. The horse that bolter now has several stables of descendants and they live all around Europe.

But which horse is the one Daniel Farke was riding?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

I have to strongly object to this reply . There is only room on this board for one thick fan and that is me 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Satriales said:

We've had supporters from overseas for a long time, I met some friendly Norwich fans from Norway about 10 years ago in the Coach & Horses pub before the game. Think we also had some Italian canaries over for a recent home game. It's a shame we don't have more overseas supporters, but they tend to choose the smaller teams like Man United or Barcelona over us!

If we had a stadium of Barcelona's capacity and their organisation (as per the attached) it could be a good idea.

20240307_151209.jpg

1 hour ago, essex canary said:

If we had a stadium of Barcelona's capacity and their organisation (as per the attached) it could be a good idea.

20240307_151209.jpg

I think "Why aren't we Barcelona?" has a better ring to it than "Why aren't we Charlton, ipswich, Sheffield Utd, Burnley..... Luton?!"

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I think "Why aren't we Barcelona?" has a better ring to it than "Why aren't we Charlton, ipswich, Sheffield Utd, Burnley..... Luton?!"

Not so long ago our shareholder initiative was apparently a world leader. Now the shareholders are the 20% whingers.