nutty nigel

It's good to see this place busy again but...

Morning guys. 

Hope we’re doing well. 

A couple of points to raise off the back of this lengthy thread: 

1) Please can we make sure we are respectful of other people (especially those with differing opinions to our own) and just make sure what we are saying isn’t personal/provocative/unnecessary. The last thing I want to do is be issuing ‘blue cards’ and sinbinning people - but we are close with a few exchanges on this thread. So think very carefully or I’ll have to enforce a temporary posting ban to help with that process. Disagreement is good! And healthy! And normal! So let’s be respectful, please. 

2) I’m well aware of the tech issues. These have been reported and are being looking into. We are considering ways that we can make the forum more user friendly - but I’m afraid this won’t be a quick process. But I wanted to make users aware we know that problems that exist. I’ll keep updated on this process when I can. 

Cheers. 

• Like 8

Thanks, Connor. I'd much rather stay here than migrate to the 'new place' – and I appreciate you allowing me to raise my concerns and mention the new forum without being censored. 

I just find it a little strange that Hogesar (whom I can't tag due to some technical issue), who is an IT professional, seems to think it's a 10-minute fix to get this place running smoothly again. If I'm not mistaken, I think he's even posted his solution on here in the past? You'd certainly stop a lot of the rumblings about a mass migration by at least mentioning this fix to your IT team, or telling us why it's not possible.

I appreciate it's not part of your remit to act as a messenger boy for the IT department, but it'd be so much easier for everyone to stay on this site and get it working well again. Keep up the good work with the reporting – OTBC!

EDIT: sorry, hadn't seen your post in the 'Sooo sloooow' thread before I posted this. Thanks for the update!

Edited by Feedthewolf
  • Like 3

Much appreciated Connor. As all social media communities do, this forum has its faults, but it's still better than most - it would be a great shame if it fell apart through tech neglect or disrespect to fellow posters. Thanks for what you're doing. OTBC

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Thanks, Connor. I'd much rather stay here than migrate to the 'new place' – and I appreciate you allowing me to raise my concerns and mention the new forum without being censored. 

I just find it a little strange that Hogesar (whom I can't tag due to some technical issue), who is an IT professional, seems to think it's a 10-minute fix to get this place running smoothly again. If I'm not mistaken, I think he's even posted his solution on here in the past? You'd certainly stop a lot of the rumblings about a mass migration by at least mentioning this fix to your IT team, or telling us why it's not possible.

I appreciate it's not part of your remit to act as a messenger boy for the IT department, but it'd be so much easier for everyone to stay on this site and get it working well again. Keep up the good work with the reporting – OTBC!

EDIT: sorry, hadn't seen your post in the 'Sooo sloooow' thread before I posted this. Thanks for the update!

Hi FTW. 

There is no censorship on here - the only time we would remove posts if they violate our guidelines, are abusive, offensive or discriminatory. 

I’m not an IT expert so it would be wrong for me to comment, but I can assure the fixes are not 10 minutes ones. From what I can gather. But they are still being looked in to. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, hogesar said:

I think Connor has shown an interest but if the tech team aren't told this is of any sort of priority it'll be bottom of their list regardless of if it's 5, 10 mins - unfortunately.

Technical is easy; business bureaucracy is hard!

1 minute ago, SouthwellC said:

Hi FTW. 

There is no censorship on here - the only time we would remove posts if they violate our guidelines, are abusive, offensive or discriminatory. 

I’m not an IT expert so it would be wrong for me to comment, but I can assure the fixes are not 10 minutes ones. From what I can gather. But they are still being looked in to. 

Thanks again, Connor. I know in the past Archant had persistently censored posts relating to another new forum that had been set up – but as you know, our intention with the new site is purely as a failsafe should this forum ever cease to exist or become unworkable.

Are you happy for us to get people registered on the new forum on the understanding that we would always advocate posting on here in the first instance, and only migrate to the new one if/when this one becomes unavailable?

I can only advocate using this forum! I don’t see a situation where either of those realities come to pass - providing people use it in the right way and are respectful. 

For all the stick we get on here (some justified, some not) we are providing a service that is free - even when others in past years have wanted to push it behind a paywall. It’s not a perfect place, but it allows fans to come together and debate. Of course, there are clearly tech issues to resolve and we’re trying to do that. 

My messages are always open - I would encourage anyone with issues of any kind to contact me in there and I’ll always do my best to reply swiftly. Obviously, doing that on a Saturday afternoon is tougher than a Thursday afternoon, for example. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Ageist :classic_wacko:

Busy boy me! Next few weeks particularly busy. I can fit some of this in but I'm giving some of you up for Lent. Ash Wednesday was last week for Buh...

:classic_ninja:

. I'm sure God will notice as it's you.🙂

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SouthwellC said:

Hi FTW. 

Obviously I don't have access to the logs which would determine a lot more but in terms of 5 / 10 minute obvious fixes:

- They could literally load the forum and inspect to see the number blocked / failed Javascript files that are taking 2 seconds of the page load time up. That is probably a 2 minute fix at most.

- Re-index the database. That's not a 5/10 minute fix in that it'll take a while to do but it only takes one of the tech guys 10 minutes to get it running on a backup database somewhere.

The tech guys will know what version of Invision Board they're running and there's a really straight forward optimisation list for each version available. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Obviously I don't have access to the logs which would determine a lot more but in terms of 5 / 10 minute obvious fixes:

- They could literally load the forum and inspect to see the number blocked / failed Javascript files that are taking 2 seconds of the page load time up. That is probably a 2 minute fix at most.

- Re-index the database. That's not a 5/10 minute fix in that it'll take a while to do but it only takes one of the tech guys 10 minutes to get it running on a backup database somewhere.

The tech guys will know what version of Invision Board they're running and there's a really straight forward optimisation list for each version available. 

If only they had the resources/staff to do it. 

If it was that simple / quick I'm.sure someone would have attempted to sort by know. Maybe they have and it's not worked. We don't know. 

This is a free forum, and people have have critised newsquest, on here. Talking about biting the hand that feeds you. I'm.sure they wouldn't be too upset if people left and they were hassle / criticism free and could get on with their day jobs.

Conor has updated us, and said he will update / chase again when necessary/ available. Speculation serves no purpose. 

Sorry Hoggy. I've quoted you, but my comments are general and not directly to you. 

Edited by Greavsy

All the quality IT staff are working at Fujitsu. Then again perhaps not. Some pooled expertise to build upon what we already have is probably the best way.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, essex canary said:

All the quality IT staff are working at Fujitsu. Then again perhaps not. Some pooled expertise to build upon what we already have is probably the best way.

Or leave it to the people whose job it is? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SouthwellC said:

Obviously, doing that on a Saturday afternoon is tougher than a Thursday afternoon, for example. 

Oooo, are you the new CDM we've been crying out for? 😉

28 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Oooo, are you the new CDM we've been crying out for? 😉

Trust me, nobody wants that😆Things will never, ever be that bad! 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, The Bristol Nest said:

. I'm sure God will notice as it's you.🙂

It’s not God we need to worry about. It appears this forum is flagging, probably on its last legs, I’m thinking of signing up with the Hogmeister, but will the flags follow me?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

It’s not God we need to worry about. It appears this forum is flagging, probably on its last legs, I’m thinking of signing up with the Hogmeister, but will the flags follow me?

I do wonder who will be blackballed from Hogsyville? Is it only for the 20% ers?

Edited by Indy

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I can assure you that it isn't on its last legs. Just needs some maintenance. Which is currently being looked into. 

• Like 5

Crikey the sense of entitlement of some moaning about something they haven't paid for in the first place!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, SouthwellC said:

I can assure you that it isn't on its last legs. Just needs some maintenance. Which is currently being looked into. 

I know Connor. I think we’ve got crossed flags. 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Indy said:

I do wonder who will be blackballed from Hogsyville? Is it only for the 20% ers?

There’s another decent long thread to be had on that Indy…

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

There’s another decent long thread to be had on that Indy…

OK is there an answer to it young nutty? Is it like joining a golf club or the masons, do you have to get nominated and then ensure you’re not blackballed? 😂

I’m not sure I’d get passed that as I’m not one of the 20% ers, nor am I one of the 80% ers! Where does that leave me?  

Edited by Indy

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

OK is there an answer to it young nutty? Is it like joining a golf club or the masons, do you have to get nominated and then ensure you’re not blackballed? 😂

I’m not sure I’d get passed that as I’m not one of the 20% ers, nor am I one of the 80% ers! Where does that leave me?  

I don’t know Indy. That would be the point of the thread. Im definitely in the 80% if it’s measured by Delia’s parameters but I see people claiming to be 20%ers and 80%ers when they’re clearly not either.

• Like 1