1 hour ago, Six Pack said:

Well yes Gibson releasing his story publicly shows that the pressure is too much for him. We don't need any more excuses for poor performances, so put him on gardening leave !

I'd love you to tell that to his face.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

I'd love you to tell that to his face.

Keyboard warriors never leave their mummy's spare bedroom 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Not necessarily, he might have put it out as a means of using his profile to support others in the same boat - they're not alone.

You're probably right. If that's the reason, its commendable

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

You're probably right. If that's the reason, its commendable

Being a working Dad is just as hard as a working Mum most of the time yet you rarely hear “working dad” even explored as a concept. At a time like this must be awful for him and so hard to concentrate on work. Wish him and his family all the best.

10 hours ago, hogesar said:

Jesus f*ck.

Why don't you go back to complaining about how bad Gibson is as a CB, citing his goals scored as the reason? Overall, he's been our best CB this season. He'll likely be off at the end of the season, so assuming he moves he won't have time to keep having a go on your Mrs, so all will be good?

There's nothing to suggest the pressure is too much for him, since coming back from injury he's been in good form.

Would you stop being a spaz for just one minute ?! This thread is about Gibson having personal problems with his daughter in hospital ! If you bothered ready my original post - it's suggesting Gibson or anyone who has such a personal burden on them to take leave from work. Which any decent club would have granted. 

As an emotional stone, I am not able to wallow in an emotive-fest regards Gibson's awful experience.

I would rather concentrate upon the man’s resolve.

It must have been very tough, but he has proven to be very tough too in carrying on playing with such a burden. The fact that it must have contributed to his recent somewhat uninspiring recent performances is inevitable and criticism of him reached a crescendo with that very unfortunate own goal 

I suspect he was offered time away by the club, but declined it. More credit to the player's professionalism if that was the case.

Hopefully, all will be well in the end and his personal hell is behind him. None of his severest critics should admonish themselves, as they weren't to know the background until these recent disclosures.

Inevitably, there will be a shift in the perception of him by the whole fan-base, and hopefully he will play a big part in our march towards the play-offs.

I've recently said that he is a more than decent performer at Championship level, but that I have become nervous about his hesitancy when he is required to play it from the back. I now suspect a possible reason for such lapses.

He owes the club nothing, despite his high wages. By today's ridiculous levels, the fee paid for him probably wasn't that excessive, and his contribution to our last promotion cannot be overlooked.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Interview with Ben and his partner here (Athletic, so paywall). They've been through a tough, tough time. Not going on Saturday but hope those who are can give him a big cheer. Interesting detail too about how supportive David Wagner has been. Whatever we think of him as a tactician, he is clearly a very good man.

Ben Gibson: ‘My baby stopped breathing – football isn’t important compared to that’

• Like 1

Some of the replies... man!

I wish him nothing but best wishes and so should everyone regardless of you views on him as a footballer. He needs a massive cheer!

• Like 2

I would hope, and I don’t mean this to sound callous, that he finds the 90 minutes on the pitch each week something of a release given what he has been going through off it. I agree he deserves a special ovation on Saturday. He’s not always been my favourite in the last couple of seasons due to his ability to dwell on the ball a bit too long meaning we get penned in but to be fair that’s as much about our tactical set up than (and flaws thereof) than him and he’s been pretty good this season. Have never been able to fault his attitude or commitment.

Perhaps a good way to start a “reset” with the players on Saturday for the run in!

Edited by Jim Smith
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I don’t mean this to sound callous, that he finds the 90 minutes on the pitch each week something of a release

Don't think that sounds callous at all - I completely agree. Hopefully it's a small period of normality for him.

I think he's been fantastic throughout this recent run of better form we've been on. If we end up in the playoffs it'll be in large part due to his steadying performances after some very sketchy defensive games last year. He dug us out of some dangers against Watford on Tuesday. Personally I'd have him slightly ahead of Duffy at the moment.

2 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Interview with Ben and his partner here (Athletic, so paywall).

From the article:

After returning to Norwich’s first team off the bench against Huddersfield on December 23, Gibson said one of the scariest moments came immediately after their 1-1 draw at home to Southampton on New Year’s Day. As he was walking down the tunnel at the end of the match at Carrow Road, he was met by Jonny Martin, the club’s head of first-team operations, who told him he must call Ashley.

“That moment of fear just hit me,” he recalled. “I rang her off his phone and she said Mylie had basically stopped breathing eight times. I went straight to the hospital. That moment was, ‘Wow’. It was, ‘What’s going on?’. I should have been there. Ashley didn’t want to call to disrupt what I was doing in terms of the game. I said to her after, ‘Football is not important compared to that.’

On Wagner - “I’ll never, ever forget how the manager was with me over this whole situation,” Gibson said. “He couldn’t have been any better with me, I’m so grateful for that. I was lucky he was so understanding.”

44 days in intensive care! That must have been incredibly serious and difficult for Ben and his partner. Should make the Gibson haters hang their heads in shame even more.

Puts a lot of the rubbish posted on the forum (especially the ridiculous anti Gibson comments) into perspective.

Got a lot of respect for how he has conducted himself on the pitch and with dealing with fans.

Even more remarkable I think he has been one of the better performers in the recent good run.

Would be nice if fans could find some way of showing him some appreciation on Saturday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yellowrider120 said:

44 days in intensive care! That must have been incredibly serious and difficult for Ben and his partner. Should make the Gibson haters hang their heads in shame even more.

I went through similar with my daughter. From a father's perspective it's tough but you do get into the routine if incubator visits and hopefully see the improvements as well. I can't imagine what Ben's partner is/went through as that mother baby bond gets broken and it's very hard for Ben not to be affected by that.

• Like 2

We went through similar, but not 44 days. Our daughter was 6 weeks premature and we spent 15 days and we fortunately not in an incubator.  It was hard, so cannot comprehend how that must have felt. As a person it shows great resilience and mental strength to have worked and played football. I am sure that was actually the last thing in his mind.