Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Team for Rovers replay

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

I think for the FA Cup you get 45% share of gate receipts regardless how many of your own fans turn up.

Yeah, I was just wondering aloud whether the attendance might be higher or lower than your rough estimate.

It’s incredible that some people on here reckon we should just throw away the chance to earn £500k.

On 15/01/2024 at 13:32, Commonsense said:

Bit like asking Norwich to move a game to Portman Road- no chance( yes I know it’s the same city but the rivalry is pretty intense!)

Agreed. Probably more intensive as it is basically South Bristol v North Bristol ( with many exceptions!).

North is wealthy (again, with many exceptions) and have a lesser team and vice versa..

Btw Bristol is built on a series of hills. Rovers play on one of them!

Just walked the dog in North Bristol and the ground is frozen in the shade but ok in the sunshine today.

Edited by The Bristol Nest
  • Thanks 1

Lots of people are saying we need to start our strongest lineup because of the potential revenue from playing Liverpool, but it is a valuable part of cup games to give second-string players game time. Literally every club plays weaker line-ups in the cup for that reason. I'm sure that won't stop people moaning when our line-up is changed though.

I reckon he will player circa 8/9 of the first team regulars with the rest made up of fringe additions. He has already said Sarge will not be starting, you would think Idah to start with will start. Then the likes of Gibson and Hernadez as well in the mix.

13 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Just walked the dog in North Bristol and the ground is frozen in the shade but ok in the sunshine today.

Ooh, can you give us a similar update tomorrow TBN? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Agreed. Probably more intensive as it is basically South Bristol v North Bristol ( with many exceptions!).

North is wealthy (again, with many exceptions) and have a lesser team and vice versa..

Btw Bristol is built on a series of hills. Rovers play on one of them!

Read some posts from Rovers fans saying the entire pitch has been convered today and will be tommorow too.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Canarywary said:

Lots of people are saying we need to start our strongest lineup because of the potential revenue from playing Liverpool, but it is a valuable part of cup games to give second-string players game time. Literally every club plays weaker line-ups in the cup for that reason. I'm sure that won't stop people moaning when our line-up is changed though.

Stronger teams do, Liverpool certainly will so its all relative.

I think we need to go strong and only use a few key changes, as we've seen Sarges foot needs a rest but I do actually believe in Idah in these kind of games. I think midfield will stay relatively similar to last time our and likely see Gibson and or Batth start. Strong players, not kids.

I like Fisher and Gibbs but unsure they're good enough right now and we have a game to win.

I also feel Long will keep his cup place and let's hope he's having one of his better days

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Read some posts from Rovers fans saying the entire pitch has been convered today and will be tommorow too.

I saw that as well, but also that it's due to be minus 3 at kick off. How long does a pitch take to freeze, anyone know?

Good luck to all of our travelling supporters, massive effort on a wintery Wednesday night.

1 hour ago, Satriales said:

I saw that as well, but also that it's due to be minus 3 at kick off. How long does a pitch take to freeze, anyone know?

Good luck to all of our travelling supporters, massive effort on a wintery Wednesday night.

I guess it depends how much moisture there was in the pitch in the first place. If it was a rutted mud bath then it could get treacherous quite quickly. Trouble is there could be extra time to factor in as well. Of course there's that hideous scenario whereby our fans set out for Bristol but by the time they get there the match is postponed and they have to come straight back. There is of course no easy answer other than to postpone the match just in case, but that creates issues further down the line and impacts other clubs.

This is the danger when you play weakened teams in Cup matches and don't get the result you were hoping for!

6 hours ago, Making Plans said:

Why not just leave the subs at home and completely throw the towel in?

How is that throwing the towel in, no guarantee that you play our full strength team it wins. What’s our priority League or FA Cup? For me it’s the League all day long. We need to see how Lima performs if we want to make that deal permanent. If the players I picked perform to their capabilities they would have too much for a mid table league 1 team in Bristol Rovers.

Do you think Liverpool will play a full strength team against us or will they play a mixture of first team, squad and youth players if we get through? If you want to know the answer have a look at their line-up against us at Carrow Road in September 2021!

We are not good enough to be probity so why don't we try progressing in the Cup? Sure it will only be one game as we would have Liverpool next,  but that is a negative view. Go out to win in league and Cup,  we shall probably still finish about 8th

16 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Does seem all of tonights fixtures are off in the lower leauges

There must be a pitch inspection early on to try and save unnecessary travelling. With covers the pitch may be above freezing at KO but it’s set to be below zero at that time so I can’t see how they can play much into the match before it becomes dangerous.

Also they’ve got open terracing so not sure if that would pass safety rules. We’ve seen games postponed in the PL because the access to the ground has been unsafe although that’s usually because of heavy snowfall.

I’d say it’s doubtful the game can be completed tonight.

1 hour ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

There must be a pitch inspection early on to try and save unnecessary travelling. With covers the pitch may be above freezing at KO but it’s set to be below zero at that time so I can’t see how they can play much into the match before it becomes dangerous.

Also they’ve got open terracing so not sure if that would pass safety rules. We’ve seen games postponed in the PL because the access to the ground has been unsafe although that’s usually because of heavy snowfall.

I’d say it’s doubtful the game can be completed tonight.

Agree... what time does a pitch inspection take place? Surely with the long distance our travelling need to know sharpish 

Wagner wants to win this replay, apparently. But he has dropped Josh Sargent.? What?

1 minute ago, kenfoggo said:

Wagner wants to win this replay, apparently. But he has dropped Josh Sargent.? What?

Probably because he isnt fit to play 90 mins yet. Pointless risking him considering the bigger games coming up or otherwise we'll be back to square one again and relying on bit part players to score. We should have ample firepower without him in theory against lower league opposition...

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, kenfoggo said:

I would like to think that means we play a stronger starting XI elsewhere on the pitch compared to the first game. Possibly with Sara and Nunez in there.

Personally I think there's more of a risk bringing on key players after they have been sitting outside in -3 for an hour or more.

Start strong, get some goals, then rest players.