Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

In hindsight how good were Southampton?

Posted (edited)

Beacause a whole lot of people are angry we set up defensive and did not beat them and yet it seems they are as of right now on the longest unbeaten run anywhere in the world, so think it's fair to give them some credit.. right?

mwhbf8mb72ac1.png?width=684&auto=webp&s=

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

They were pretty good, but we made it very hard for them. I think if we'd played a more open game they'd have demonstrated greater precision than we did and it would have been easier for everyone to see why they're on the run they are. Swansea tried going toe-to-toe with them and got absolutely clattered.

That list only seems to have European clubs - are there really no leagues elsewhere in the world with a really dominant side?

Good squad in a poor league.

They were nothing special. Arguably Ipswich carved us open more often 1st half at their gaff.

At least we all have a story to finally replace the Bayern Munich win.

In years to come we’ll all be able to say “where were you? Where were you when we drew with the all powerful Southampton at home in championship?”

• Haha 4

59 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Beacause a whole lot of people are angry we set up defensive and did not beat them and yet it seems they are as of right now on the longest unbeaten run anywhere in the world, so think it's fair to give them some credit.. right?

So if I understand you correctly, because we're not on that list & we keep getting beat, our manager is one of the best in the world?

After months of criticising Wagner for not adjusting tactics to stifle an opposition, we finally do it (yes, to extreme measures in this case that I wouldn't want to see regularly whatsoever) and yet the same posters who predicted 0-3, 0-4, 1-4 losses are claiming we could have won the game.

I can guarantee Southampton would have looked 10x the side had we left open space for them to play in the final third.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

and yet the same posters who predicted 0-3, 0-4, 1-4 losses are claiming we could have won the game.

They sound disappointed.

• Like 1

I didn’t think Southampton were that special to be honest.

The point is that after over a year of this coach in charge we should have a style of play and a formation that is capable of matching the better sides in this league without having to be torn up to try and grind out a point to save the coaches job. It should not be forgotten that we did the same v QPR recently as well. QPR.

We have no style of play, we have no settled side. We have no way of playing that is recognisable or sustainable in terms of delivering consistent results. It’s an utter s**tshow and everyone at the club should be embarrassed.

That action has not been taken already beggars belief and is beyond incompetence 

6 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I didn’t think Southampton were that special to be honest.

The point is that after over a year of this coach in charge we should have a style of play and a formation that is capable of matching the better sides in this league without having to be torn up to try and grind out a point to save the coaches job. It should not be forgotten that we did the same v QPR recently as well. QPR.

We have no style of play, we have no settled side. We have no way of playing that is recognisable or sustainable in terms of delivering consistent results. It’s an utter s**tshow and everyone at the club should be embarrassed.

That action has not been taken already beggars belief and is beyond incompetence 

Booo Knapper bring back Webber?

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Love to see St Pauli doing well!

50 minutes ago, Canarywary said:

Love to see St Pauli doing well!

Also, any table that has Raith Rovers a place ahead of Real Madrid is all right with me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

They were pretty good, but we made it very hard for them. I think if we'd played a more open game they'd have demonstrated greater precision than we did and it would have been easier for everyone to see why they're on the run they are. Swansea tried going toe-to-toe with them and got absolutely clattered.

That list only seems to have European clubs - are there really no leagues elsewhere in the world with a really dominant side?

6th on the list is Chinese.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

This is why I really didn't get the anger on Monday, and I'm usually a 20% whinger.

Play that way vs Bristol Rovers and there will be questions,  but I can't imagine we will.