Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Fever

New Year 'Honours' List

I really, really dislike these things.

Completely debased, undermined, degenerate.

They should ONLY be for people who have done exceptional things well above and beyond their chosen career path - typically for charity or the greater good.

They should not be for 'entertainers' (including sports people) who are all well rewarded if successful anyway.

They should certainly not be for political goons, hang-ons, civil servants and the like.  

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

They should ONLY be for people who have done exceptional things well above and beyond their chosen career path - typically for charity or the greater good.

They should not be for 'entertainers' (including sports people) who are all well rewarded if successful anyway.

They should certainly not be for political goons, hang-ons, civil servants and the like.  

Well said. I have never done anything to deserve a national honour but if I had I wouldn't accept anything with British Empire in the title. 

As for knighthoods, surely the king should be out and about doing that? The guy from Leeds who has been running marathons for MND should have been knighted on the finishing line. 

• Like 2

Another Truss ennoblement is Matthew Elliot. There's plenty to say about him. This article focuses on his role in "Conservative Friends of Russia". I suppose he will at least have a well known friend there in the son of a Russian KGB agent that Johnson ennobled.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2012/nov/30/activities-of-conservative-friends-of-russia

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Mr Angry said:

Tim Martin’s knighthood should be delayed until he sorts out the mess he left behind in New Brighton.

https://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/23529659.former-new-brighton-wetherspoons-site-sold/

TBF Tim has ensured that through his selfless dedication to providing cheap alcohol, tens of thousands of police officers and NHS workers are kept usefully employed every night of the week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Well said. I have never done anything to deserve a national honour but if I had I wouldn't accept anything with British Empire in the title.

John Prescott used to say that. 😉

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

25 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

And he was as good as his word.

If by that you mean his word isn't worth diddly squat, then I guess you're right: He is as good as his word!

John-Prescott-new-peers-i-006-3205259717.jpg

3 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

He became a Baron, where are the words 'British' & 'Empire' in his title?

You're an idiot.

The oath of allegiance he gave:

I, [John Prescott] , do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, her heirs and successors according to law. So help me God.

That was Queen Elizabeth II, who had among her titles 'sovereign of the most excellent order of the British Empire', he swore allegiance to in order to take the title.

You can't dodge the imperial element just because the words aren't there in the title although I grant the weasely logic you're using is a fitting tribute to a New Labour stalwart.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, horsefly said:

Another Truss ennoblement is Matthew Elliot. There's plenty to say about him. This article focuses on his role in "Conservative Friends of Russia". I suppose he will at least have a well known friend there in the son of a Russian KGB agent that Johnson ennobled.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2012/nov/30/activities-of-conservative-friends-of-russia

• Haha 4

Tim Martin gets a knighthood for services to brexitty alcoholics. Rob Burrow and Kevin Sinfield get CBEs for services to humanity. Something not quite right there.🤔

9 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

The oath of allegiance he gave:

I, [John Prescott] , do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, her heirs and successors according to law. So help me God.

That was Queen Elizabeth II, who had among her titles 'sovereign of the most excellent order of the British Empire', he swore allegiance to in order to take the title.

You can't dodge the imperial element just because the words aren't there in the title although I grant the weasely logic you're using is a fitting tribute to a New Labour stalwart.

This is the type of idiocy that only an idiot would come up with.

You need therapy.

51 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I'm still waiting for my name to come up.

Lord Ricardo of Carrow.

Got a nice ring to it.

Keep the match reports up and you'll be deserving 👏 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I think you need lessons in manners, but there you go .

But it's perfectly acceptable to lie about someone and then not apologise when you've been caught lying.

You're dumber than Dorries.

13 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

But it's perfectly acceptable to lie about someone and then not apologise when you've been caught lying.

You're dumber than Dorries.

Who have i lied about? Prescott received the honour of a Lordship and accepted it gratefully having railed against the institution all his career as a bastion of privilege. Where's the lie?

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Now I'm getting passive aggressive DM's. 

Very sad.

Probably something you need to sort out in private 

On 30/12/2023 at 10:39, Yellow Fever said:

Yep, just more corruption from the most corrupt Government(s) we've ever had, and very disappointed that Charlie signed off on them - thought he had a bit more backbone than that.

IMO the whole honours system should be scrapped, certainly in its current form - would be nice to replace it with something that as you say rewards 'people who have done exceptional things well above and beyond their chosen career path - typically for charity or the greater good' but I honestly can't see how we can set up such a system and who would do the awarding as clearly no politicians or anyone in the wider 'establishment' can be trusted to do the job fairly.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

No, just him being his pompous self.

Yep, and let's not forget he believes he is infallible - he really doesn't like it when people point out that he isn't 🙄

There isn't a thread yet so I'm using this one as it has the words "New Year" in the title...

I would like to wish every poster (on this side of the forum but also on the football side) a very Happy New Year.

I guess we may need a thread on new year's resolutions soon. But, Liz Truss has it in for many folk on this side of the forum...which I must confess has given a big laugh (imagine that is actually your New Year's message😅).

Anyway, to all you in the anti-growth coalition...🥂🍻🥂

IMG_20231231_201922.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I actually had to check that was genuine. Just assumed it was a **** take. Clueless isn't she. 

Happy new year everyone. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, sonyc said:

There isn't a thread yet so I'm using this one as it has the words "New Year" in the title...

I would like to wish every poster (on this side of the forum but also on the football side) a very Happy New Year.

I guess we may need a thread on new year's resolutions soon. But, Liz Truss has it in for many folk on this side of the forum...which I must confess has given a big laugh (imagine that is actually your New Year's message😅).

Anyway, to all you in the anti-growth coalition...🥂🍻🥂

IMG_20231231_201922.jpg

She missed a trick by saying "Lettuce make 2024 the year of the bluh, blah, wah, whinge.....woteva".

• Haha 3