dylanisabaddog

Old photos and memories of Norwich

11 hours ago, NewNestCarrow said:

A new challenge for the Oldies.

A few on this photo haven’t been identified, so can anyone help fill any gaps?

Back: Grapes / Sullivan / Boyer / Steele / Machin / Stringer / ? / ? / Goble? / Davies? / Evans / ? / Suggett

Third: Ryan / Peters / Forbes / Jones / BondK / Hansbury / Keelan / ? / ? / Fleeting? / Busby / Powell / ? / Medwin?

Second: Sainty / Brown / Westwood / Burrell? / Fish G / Hanley / South / Watling / ? / ? / ? / BondJ / Prodger?

Front :  ? / Downs? / Lythgoe? / ? / Mendham / ? / Symonds? / ?

Davids, Dunthorne & Proudlove should be on here, while I’m certain that MacDougall & McGuire aren’t.

Suggestions welcomed!

2024-01-13 17-19.jpeg

front right Davie Dunthorne

‘Prodger’ is George Lee

Back 2 is Dougie Livermore 

Front 7 looks like Paul Kent 

Edited by Sheva

7 hours ago, Sheva said:

front right Davie Dunthorne

‘Prodger’ is George Lee

Back 2 is Dougie Livermore 

Front 7 looks like Paul Kent 

Thanks for the contribution.

The pic is from 1976/77 and so it can't be Livermore (though it does look like him). 

No 8 in the back row looks to me like Roger Gibbons and is it not Neil Davids in the middle row 6th from the right with the blonde hair ?

6 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

No 8 in the back row looks to me like Roger Gibbons and is it not Neil Davids in the middle row 6th from the right with the blonde hair ?

Gibbins is a good spot. Minus the tache & perm he looks very different!

Davids is another thumbs up.  And I'm now certain that is Fleeting next to him.

• Like 1

On 10/01/2024 at 09:18, cambridgeshire canary said:

The 1952/53 team.. Don't think there's many still alive who saw these guys play

s-l960.webp

I didn't go in 52/53 but I started going in 56/57 and most of them were still there.

Half of them played in our famous cup run.

On 10/01/2024 at 16:15, ricardo said:

Gavin was a really good player, strong and stocky but quick enough to be a winger. A great servant of the club.

Before I went off to the match I used to get my fish n chips at Valori's in Rose Lane on Saturday lunchtimes because my grandparents lived just round the corner in King St.

Cod and chips for a shilling (5p)

Happy days

There is a current racehorse called Gavin and I always back it when it runs

On 11/01/2024 at 15:26, cambridgeshire canary said:

Interestingly does not seem to mention drinking. Few pints before a match? No big deal!

The 1959 FA Cup Team thrived on Sherry & Raw Eggs before every game

7 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

For you @TIL 1010

Shame the highlights are so short. I'm told Keelan had a brilliant game 

Cheeky jink before beating the keeper for the first. 

7 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Cheeky jink before beating the keeper for the first. 

Brilliant pass by Tommy Bryceland

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Manchester City v Manchester United 1967/68 – City Til I DieT

Don Heath in February 1967 creating a moment in our history.

Or Gordon Bolland even...............

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

For you @TIL 1010

Shame the highlights are so short. I'm told Keelan had a brilliant game 

He did but the entire back 4 were outstanding on that memorable day ..............

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Making Plans said:

I didn't go in 52/53 but I started going in 56/57 and most of them were still there.

Half of them played in our famous cup run.

Can only remember McCrohan,Ashman and Brennan being in the '59ers Cup team ..................

Edited by C.I.D

6 minutes ago, C.I.D said:

He did but the entire back 4 were outstanding on that memorable day ..............

I wonder if City fans were whining when we were drawn away to Man Utd, as Liverpool ? Were their cretins trying to organise a protest because NCFC were a mid-table, second tier club ? No. That entitlement was to come years later. Back then it was about supporting your club, through thick and thin. Shame we have dragged in these whiners.

27 minutes ago, C.I.D said:

Or Gordon Bolland even...............

Well spotted. Can't believe i made the mistake.

18 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Well spotted. Can't believe i made the mistake.

In the euphoria of that day ...............easily done TIL 😉

How about these pictures- I don’t think anyone is alive who saw these teams play! 1906/07 & 1907/08.

IMG_3186.jpeg

IMG_3185.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RobJames said:

I wonder if City fans were whining when we were drawn away to Man Utd, as Liverpool ? Were their cretins trying to organise a protest because NCFC were a mid-table, second tier club ? No. That entitlement was to come years later. Back then it was about supporting your club, through thick and thin. Shame we have dragged in these whiners.

Totally different circumstances.

57 years ago we’d never been in the top division and Man Utd were one of, if not THE most famous and successful club in the world. The likelihood was that we’d be tonked. Even the Eastern Evening News felt that a 3-0 defeat would be a decent result.

Since 1972 we’ve enjoyed football of a much higher standard. Is it such a sin to now feel some entitlement ? Our football club has slipped so alarmingly in such a short space of time it’s not surprising fans are fearful of a cricket score at Anfield should we get through on Wednesday. That’s by no means a given. The bookies make us only marginal favourites to do so.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Totally different circumstances.

57 years ago we’d never been in the top division and Man Utd were one of, if not THE most famous and successful club in the world. The likelihood was that we’d be tonked. Even the Eastern Evening News felt that a 3-0 defeat would be a decent result.

Since 1972 we’ve enjoyed football of a much higher standard. Is it such a sin to now feel some entitlement ? Our football club has slipped so alarmingly in such a short space of time it’s not surprising fans are fearful of a cricket score at Anfield should we get through on Wednesday. That’s by no means a given. The bookies make us only marginal favourites to do so.

I went to this 16 years ago. There still was nothing like the extent of pantwetting we see now. It's a warning though to those who think we just need to turn up at Bristol...

13 hours ago, RobJames said:

"supporting your club through thick and thin". 

When I first went in 1968 the usual attendance was around 13,000 even though the adult admittance cost was today's equivalent of less than £10.

Edited by dylanisabaddog

I was at Gigg Lane that night too Nutty. We were in their social club sitting with some Shakers fans and I teased a young lad saying if he wore my scarf that team would win. It wasn’t me who had the last laugh…

Classic FA Cup upset although we were all over them at the end. Doherty really should have netted with that last gasp effort. I didn’t begrudge them the win and after what happened to them later it was the least they deserved.

Can’t believe it was 16 years ago…

3 minutes ago, Kathy said:

I went on a date with him!

The days when he used to drink in The Mustard Pot with Andy Proudlove.