Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

The club should look at the away following yesterday

I think people maybe reading too much into the number that travelled yesterday, it is Christmas, household budgets are stretched and for a tenner you could watch the game from the comfort of the sofa, in the warm, drink in hand, surrounded by your loved ones................

Edited by Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Watford was not sold out for the first time in about a decade 

This Government has been in power longer, and these are hard times as a result. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Highland Canary said:

Wagner has little, if any, support in the away supporters. But our numbers are so low now we can’t even comprise the entire 20%.

There was a loud sarcastic cheer 2nd half when we won a corner, which took me a bit by surprise, but your comment above probably explains why.

16 minutes ago, essex canary said:

How about a cheaper ST renewal option of Saturdays only or non-Saturdays only?

**** me! 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

**** me! 

Not sure whether you would be at Carrow Road more or less often? Would still give you some time to support the Daggers flex ticket.

29 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Not sure whether you would be at Carrow Road more or less often? Would still give you some time to support the Daggers flex ticket.

I have a season ticket at Carrow Road and dont recall ever missing a home game in 12 years of ownership. 

I visit Dagenham a few times as have family that way, so coincide with visiting family etc. Its not either or. 

Would you care to answer my question about how your suggestion is enforceable.  I'll give you a clue - it isn't. 

5 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

No, nothing to do with the time of yr ar all. 

In previous seasons over the last 20 years Norwich are selling out an allocation at West Brom.

No they aren’t, not on Boxing Day with v little travel options. Somewhere around London where we have a large following already living maybe, but not in that neck of the woods.

People do seem to be over egging our away following, which is good but hasn’t tended to be particularly huge.  Of course we are capable of large followings when doing well. I don’t recall ever selling out Hawthorns and went to Watford a couple of seasons ago and it wasn’t full.  Of course it’s partly down to how we are faring, but also down to the time of year and day/time of fixtures.

Edited by Branston Pickle

11 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

No they aren’t, not on Boxing Day with v little travel options. Somewhere around London where we have a large following already living maybe, but not in that neck of the woods.

People do seem to be over egging our away following, which is good but hasn’t tended to be particularly huge.  Of course we are capable of large followings when doing well. I don’t recall ever selling out Hawthorns and went to Watford a couple of seasons ago and it wasn’t full.  Of course it’s partly down to how we are faring, but also down to the time of year and day/time of fixtures.

Didn’t we sell out in January 2019? I had to sit in the home end that day but did enjoy sighing when Rhodes equalised. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Didn’t we sell out in January 2019? I had to sit in the home end that day but did enjoy sighing when Rhodes equalised. 

Possibly, but we were up at the top of the table and it wasn’t Boxing Day with its travel limitations. Generally we probably don’t usually sell out (looking at the highlights).

Us having a poor away following is certainly a strange stick to beat the club with - it’s down to numerous variables.

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Possibly, but we were up at the top of the table and it wasn’t Boxing Day with its travel limitations. Generally we probably don’t usually sell out (looking at the highlights).

Us having a poor away following is certainly a strange stick to beat the club with - it’s down to numerous variables.

It’s definitely down of late. I hope we fill the away end on April 1st down here. If there’s something thing to play for I’m sure we will. 

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

It’s definitely down of late. I hope we fill the away end on April 1st down here. If there’s something thing to play for I’m sure we will. 

Yes, that’s the point - hardly unexpected, nor that it’ll pick up if we’re going well.  Leicester is one of the closer games so you’d hope for a decent turnout - even if it is to crown their promotion !

55 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Rubbish.

The attendances are well down, there’s not even an argument.. but as a club apologist you’ll find one.

13 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Rubbish.

The attendances are well down, there’s not even an argument.. but as a club apologist you’ll find one.

Who said they aren’t down?  Not me!  It is pretty obvious they are, and that it isn’t surprising given how we are faring. But nor is not selling out Hawthorns a ‘thing’.

I’m not apologising for the club, more making excuses for those who aren’t travelling.  It is weird but unsurprising that you can’t see anything other than your own silo opinion.

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

The time and date of our away fixtures does affect how many travel but when the apathy that’s descended on Carrow Rd meant there were only 17,000-odd bums on seats for the home match against Sheff Wed it stands to reason that apathy must filter through to the away-dayers in some form or other.

What was surprising was how many bums on seats there were for the Huddersfield game. Traditionally the last Saturday before Christmas is a poor one but not so much this year. Perhaps that unexpected draw at Portman Rd added to the interest.

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

1 minute ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

The time and date of our away fixtures does affect how many travel but when the apathy that’s descended on Carrow Rd meant there were only 17,000-odd bums on seats for the home match against Sheff Wed it stands to reason that apathy must filter through to the away-dayers in some form or other.

Who said there were 17000 v Sheff Wed?   But whatever, people will turn up home and away when we’re going well and not so much when we aren’t.  We’re no different to anyone else in  this.

4 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

I heard on very good authority that there was a sub-18K attendance for the Sheff Wed game

Well it must be true then….but it just proves the point: we, as supporters are no better or worse than anyone else.  I don’t see why this is a surprise to people.

I couldn’t come to the Sheff Wed game but would have done if I could - and ensured my s/t was used - so can’t really comment how many were there…but you’re saying it was over 1/3 empty? 

1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

I have a season ticket at Carrow Road and dont recall ever missing a home game in 12 years of ownership. 

I visit Dagenham a few times as have family that way, so coincide with visiting family etc. Its not either or. 

Would you care to answer my question about how your suggestion is enforceable.  I'll give you a clue - it isn't. 

Well done if you haven't missed a home game for 12 years, I am nearer the 90% mark which was apparently fairly typical pre-pandemic though doubtless much higher now. As for away games I have declined from around 15 a season to about 5. If the Club want supporters at Swansea and Middlesborough for midweek games they should simply pay for the tickets. It would cost them peanuts rather than continuous management speak claptrap about separate products.

They need to show some imagination and enthusiasm for Home Games too. They can't do it quite like Dagenham but the attached illustrates the kind of customer sensitive approach that is needed.

Dagenham & Redbridge FC | DAGGERS LAUNCH NEW “Flexi Tickets”  

7 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Nothing to do with the time of year then. All that’s happened is the 20% are staying at home to eat Quality Street.

Boxing Day has actually always been very popular date for football fixtures, and it was West Broms highest attendance of the season despite the poor away turnout.

In my house growing up the first thing we'd look for when the fixture list was released was the Boxing Day fixture (home or away).

20 minutes ago, essex canary said:

If the Club want supporters at Swansea and Middlesborough for midweek games they should simply pay for the tickets. 

Think the club has enough issues with parachute payments coming to an end to consider paying people to go to the football.

17 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Boxing Day has actually always been very popular date for football fixtures, and it was West Broms highest attendance of the season despite the poor away turnout.

In my house growing up the first thing we'd look for when the fixture list was released was the Boxing Day fixture (home or away).

Quite so - bank holiday gates will often be pretty good, but not necessarily for away support.  I recall 1985 when we played Charlton at home over Christmas and there was a bumper attendance of 17500 (with very few of their fans). 

39 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Think the club has enough issues with parachute payments coming to an end to consider paying people to go to the football.

It’s an interesting one - if you pay 1000 tickets that’s barely a week’s salary for some players….so not a huge sum for a football club.

There is definitely a feeling that the club has taken its eye off the ball and been taking supporters for granted - certainly given current financial times, people are doing a bit of cost/benefit analysis (if sub-consciously) and if the entertainment/form is poor and/or secondary offers too expensive, it isn’t surprising if people stop shelling out.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s an interesting one - if you pay 1000 tickets that’s barely a week’s salary for some players….so not a huge sum for a football club.

There is definitely a feeling that the club has taken its eye off the ball and been taking supporters for granted - certainly given current financial times, people are doing a bit of cost/benefit analysis (if sub-consciously) and if the entertainment/form is poor and/or secondary offers too expensive, it isn’t surprising if people stop shelling out.

Free coach travel to the game is perhaps the better gesture for long distance, but let's be honest we aren't in a serious promotion race or at risk of relegation this season. The club has subsidised that before but usually when we are need the 12th man to give us an edge. 

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

Who said they aren’t down?  Not me!  It is pretty obvious they are, and that it isn’t surprising given how we are faring. But nor is not selling out Hawthorns a ‘thing’.

I’m not apologising for the club, more making excuses for those who aren’t travelling.  It is weird but unsurprising that you can’t see anything other than your own silo opinion.

You’re trying to provide ‘imaginary’ mitigation as to why the attendances are down, when the only reason is the apathy between supporter and club at present. Something you’re incapable of admitting.

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

29 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

You’re trying to provide ‘imaginary’ mitigation as to why the attendances are down, when the only reason is the apathy between supporter and club at present. Something you’re incapable of admitting.

The hell I am - you just can’t be bothered to read or understand what I’m saying.

There’s a myriad of reasons behind why people are/aren’t going to games, undoubtedly our form and cost of attending are in there.  I don’t particularly buy this apathy thing, that’s merely a combination of other things, in the same way binner fans stopped going.  But it does seem these days it is mixed with an underlying degree of entitlement.

31 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Free coach travel to the game is perhaps the better gesture for long distance, but let's be honest we aren't in a serious promotion race or at risk of relegation this season. The club has subsidised that before but usually when we are need the 12th man to give us an edge. 

It is something that needs looking at properly. You have teams like Birmingham, Coventry and Plymouth (all below us) who average nearly 1,000 more away fans than us this season. 

2 hours ago, essex canary said:

Well done if you haven't missed a home game for 12 years, I am nearer the 90% mark which was apparently fairly typical pre-pandemic though doubtless much higher now. As for away games I have declined from around 15 a season to about 5. If the Club want supporters at Swansea and Middlesborough for midweek games they should simply pay for the tickets. It would cost them peanuts rather than continuous management speak claptrap about separate products.

They need to show some imagination and enthusiasm for Home Games too. They can't do it quite like Dagenham but the attached illustrates the kind of customer sensitive approach that is needed.

Dagenham & Redbridge FC | DAGGERS LAUNCH NEW “Flexi Tickets”  

Shouldn't be surprised but you've avoided the question I asked again. 

I give up. 

52 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

The 12th man is always needed. Not everyone wants long coach journeys ending at 4am. A match ticket for say 500 fans each at Swansea and Middlesbrough midweek, £25,000 cost. Swansea attracted only 340. Home games need that atmosphere and edge even more. Given the potential rewards for getting to the Prem, a bargain at the price.

9 hours ago, CUSDP said:

Our numbers all season havent been as good as previous seasons. Yesterday felt invredibly low given how we usually travel on Boxing Day.

The only highlight was a visit to The Vine!

This is simply untrue. Boxing Day has no trains making away games much more difficult to attend for non drivers. The reality is that last year we played Luton and around 1, 000 was the capacity of the away end. Prior to this we had played at home on Boxing Day. The previous away fixture was in 2019 in the Premier League at Aston Villa. We took 1,500, far fewer than on a normal Saturday. Maybe worth checking facts before making claims!

• Like 2