Sign in to follow this  
Worthy Nigelton

Ben Lee's Tactical Analysis

Has anyone managed to finish one of these? I had no idea football required the same brain-power as nuclear physics.

Its not really so much of a tactical analysis and more saying what happened in the game using big words. To say Chaplin dropped deep to pick up the ball, McCallum followed and Burns ran into the space vacated isn't tactics - that's just football. The same thing used to happen when I last played five-a-side at Goals, and I can say categorically me and my mates weren't thinking tactically.

The game's gone mad. 

• Haha 2

Yeah, I read the Twitter thread on the derby earlier. I know very little about football, but it all looked plausible. I did wonder whether you could say something different in equally credible language and it would look as sensible though.

However, it’s to argue with things like this, which seems plain enough:

Edited by Nuff Said

3 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Has anyone managed to finish one of these? I had no idea football required the same brain-power as nuclear physics.

Its not really so much of a tactical analysis and more saying what happened in the game using big words. To say Chaplin dropped deep to pick up the ball, McCallum followed and Burns ran into the space vacated isn't tactics - that's just football. The same thing used to happen when I last played five-a-side at Goals, and I can say categorically me and my mates weren't thinking tactically.

The game's gone mad. 

You could always try not reading it? 

All the best

Big Keith Nott 

3 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

To say Chaplin dropped deep to pick up the ball, McCallum followed and Burns ran into the space vacated isn't tactics - that's just football.

It's tactics if they do it repeatedly on the instructions of the coach, surely.

Personally I think those columns are excellent. But I guess there is a danger that if you read them and take in what they're saying, you might emerge with the conclusion that Kenny McLean is a good footballer. So probably don't click in future. 😉

Edited by Robert N. LiM
In the current climate, I should probably make it clear that this is intended as a good natured joke because I know Worthy Nigelton can take it.
  • Haha 4

It's maybe written a bit overly-technical but as I understand it the chap is a student that was doing these things for fun then Pinkun affiliated with him. I don't think he's particularly trained in making it palatable to the masses, maybe that will change with experience.

Personally, I like those columns. Sometimes I have to read it 3 times and I still won't 100% understand what he's on about, but that happens on most Parma threads and I enjoy those too. 

I also disagree that its not tactics and just 'describing things that happen'. Otherwise you're just throwing 11 players out there and hoping they naturally overcome the opposition.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Otherwise you're just throwing 11 players out there and hoping they naturally overcome the opposition

Or 'facking run around a bit' as Harry Redknapp reputedly told a sub he was about to bring on.

6 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Or 'facking run around a bit' as Harry Redknapp reputedly told a sub he was about to bring on.

Now that is a clear and precise tactic.

Did it work?

1 hour ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Could be a misunderstanding in here somewhere - isn't that the time he had his dog with him in the dugout?

I thought Paul Lambert's comments about not re-inventing the wheel were interesting. Almost noone plays 442 anymore. Old fashioned full-backs are practically extinct. Talk about phases of play, counterpressing and playing a high block and double pivots, Pep's inverted fullbacks. Certainly the game has changed a lot in England over the last 10 years. Heck, even the last 5 years

38 minutes ago, crispeduk said:

Could be a misunderstanding in here somewhere - isn't that the time he had his dog with him in the dugout?

I don't think so. It was in January so the dog was busy doing Harry's tax return for him.

• Haha 3

Sounds pretty spot on to me, they were clearly the better footballing team playing with confidence, we have better top individuals - but are under performing as a team.  
Our players need to be willing to take and support the ball better, their players did this.  Much of this is coaching.  What we did show is 90 minutes of fight and concentration in a match for once this season.

Very happy with a point, hopefully we’ll be in a better space next time we play them.

One thing was for certain. The scummers set up to defend set pieces was some of the worst I have ever seen. 

The idea that by having two or three players staring into Duffy's eyes that would put him off was laughable. At least once I thought VAR would have given us a penalty if that was the EPL.

• Like 2