dylanisabaddog

An atheist christmas

I am enraged. I was just standing at my front door enjoying a seasonal cigarette when a Christian nut job stopped to tell me that my door decoration is an affront to Christ. I tried to politely explain that she now lives in an atheist country and also pointed out that wreaths are pagan not Christian. But she told me I'm going to roast in hell, or words to that effect. 

What do we do about these people? I've had a look and strangely the BBC don't give us any designated air time. 

Screenshot_20221208_183754_Facebook.thumb.jpg.847791e889212dc1e31bcac43acad176.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I just tell them "as I don't believe in your God, you can't tell me what to do, so go f*ck yourself".

Not interested in being civil in those cases.

13 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I am enraged. I was just standing at my front door enjoying a seasonal cigarette when a Christian nut job stopped to tell me that my door decoration is an affront to Christ. I tried to politely explain that she now lives in an atheist country and also pointed out that wreaths are pagan not Christian. But she told me I'm going to roast in hell, or words to that effect. 

What do we do about these people? I've had a look and strangely the BBC don't give us any designated air time. 

Screenshot_20221208_183754_Facebook.thumb.jpg.847791e889212dc1e31bcac43acad176.jpg

Best use for (overcooked) sprouts yet. 

Probably the only item on the menu in Hell too!

Actually, although not a Christian I rather suspect JC would laugh with you. He knew humbug and hypocrisy when he saw it! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

"she now lives in an atheist country"

Unless the current Monarch renounces Christianity then afraid from a legal standpoint you're wrong😉

Err. I'm not concerned what he thinks . The people made their judgement in the 2021 census. In a question heavily weighted in favour of God, more than 50% chose to vote for the alternative. 

And I'm afraid there is no legal standpoint. We do not have a written constitution. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Best use for (overcooked) sprouts yet. 

Probably the only item on the menu in Hell too!

Actually, although not a Christian I rather suspect JC would laugh with you. He knew humbug and hypocrisy when he saw it! 

My ex mother in law put on her sprouts last Tuesday in readinness for the big day. So don't talk to me about over cooked sprouts. I still shudder. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

I just tell them "as I don't believe in your God, you can't tell me what to do, so go f*ck yourself".

Not interested in being civil in those cases.

I'm slowly, surely and regretfully coming round to your way of thinking. 

But what is to be done? Should we divide the world into northern hemisphere (atheist) and southern hemisphere (various religions)?  I'm sure God will save them from global warming and in the meantime we could order the world's biggest ever bag of popcorn.... 

You seriously made a wreath with sprouts?   And you think the other person was the nut job!

I like it, it's weirdly yet obviously Christmas's and I've notr seen anything like it before.  don't let your ex mother in law see it though, she'll start boiling them tomorrow

35 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

You seriously made a wreath with sprouts?   And you think the other person was the nut job!

I like it, it's weirdly yet obviously Christmas's and I've notr seen anything like it before.  don't let your ex mother in law see it though, she'll start boiling them tomorrow

Wreaths were designed by pagans to ward off the evil winter spirits that killed so many of them. They generally used laurel and yew but only because sprouts hadn't been invented. Sprouts can deal with any evil spirit the world can throw at me far better than laurel. 

There has been a mixed reaction locally. It's extraordinary how many people think a wreath on your door is something to do with god. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Barbe bleu said:

My brother once had a dead branch decorated with blown up condoms as a Christmas tree.

And lights of course.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Wreaths were designed by pagans to ward off the evil winter spirits that killed so many of them. They generally used laurel and yew but only because sprouts hadn't been invented. Sprouts can deal with any evil spirit the world can throw at me far better than laurel. 

There has been a mixed reaction locally. It's extraordinary how many people think a wreath on your door is something to do with god. 

Love it

A good few years ago now they developed a less bitter strain of sprout.  Have they also taken away its protective properties?

Either way, I'm getting myself to hobbycraft for a base wreath, an to lidl for the decorations, vegan Christmas Dinner.   

2 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

My brother once had a dead branch decorated with blown up condoms as a Christmas tree.

And lights of course.

Did it have the same protective properties as diabd's sprouts though?

On 19/12/2023 at 14:38, dylanisabaddog said:

Great wreath. I think I would have asked her if she was happy that God had made sure there were no doors left in Gaza from which Muslims could hang similar desecrations.  

On 19/12/2023 at 14:48, cambridgeshire canary said:

Unless the current Monarch renounces Christianity then afraid from a legal standpoint you're wrong😉

Do feel free to explain what you mean by "from a legal standpoint". There is no legal privilege afforded to Christianity in this country.  Whilst it remains the case that the monarch is supposed to be a protestant and "defender of the faith", that fact is irrelevant to our legal system beyond that very specific individual requirement. The Christian religion has no special legal status in the UK. 

https://www.christiantoday.com/article/what-makes-britain-a-christian-country/36952.htm

On 19/12/2023 at 14:38, dylanisabaddog said:

Love it, sprouts are the Devils Food! 😂😂 

I have the same disagreement with my religious cousins in Prague, they ask why I put a tree up and send greatings and presents when I don’t celebrate Christ! I tell them I celebrate the winter solstice and Yule my Germanic Pagan roots! And I wish everyone a happy holiday now so not to be selective! They can’t stop arguing that I shouldn’t have Christmas as I’m a modern day atheist!

Each to their own I say!

As A Side Note! Absolutely no point disagreeing with a deeply religious person, there’s no give to any point you make! Even when I say if it makes you a better human and at peace with your life then fantastic, they still feel the need to say something condescending like you’ll end up in hell! Or god won’t forgive you for not believing! Regardless how charitable and caring I live my life to others, which is more important in my view!

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1

On 19/12/2023 at 15:38, dylanisabaddog said:

This is going back some decades but that is pretty much what I was told by the gaggle of Christians who stopped me on my way into the cinema to see The Exorcist.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

This is going back some decades but that is pretty much what I was told by the gaggle of Christians who stopped me on my way into the cinema to see The Exorcist.

I experienced similar when I went to see Life of Brian. 

• Haha 2

On 19/12/2023 at 14:48, cambridgeshire canary said:

legal? are you sure about that?

21 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

that's weird as well - because the Exorcist story literally relies on there being a Christian god (or at least something that's analogous to it)..

30 minutes ago, If wed kept Howie.. said:

that's weird as well - because the Exorcist story literally relies on there being a Christian god (or at least something that's analogous to it)..

Indeed. I suppose their view was that I might weak-willed enough to be tempted into preferring devilry to righteousness...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, If wed kept Howie.. said:

And interestingly the movie starts with the Islamic Adhan in Arabic

On 20/12/2023 at 17:00, Indy said:

Love it, sprouts are the Devils Food! 😂😂 

I have the same disagreement with my religious cousins in Prague, they ask why I put a tree up and send greatings and presents when I don’t celebrate Christ! I tell them I celebrate the winter solstice and Yule my Germanic Pagan roots! And I wish everyone a happy holiday now so not to be selective! They can’t stop arguing that I shouldn’t have Christmas as I’m a modern day atheist!

Each to their own I say!

As A Side Note! Absolutely no point disagreeing with a deeply religious person, there’s no give to any point you make! Even when I say if it makes you a better human and at peace with your life then fantastic, they still feel the need to say something condescending like you’ll end up in hell! Or god won’t forgive you for not believing! Regardless how charitable and caring I live my life to others, which is more important in my view!

Had that with some Jehovah's Witnesses, who wished me that I'd go to hell.

To which I said "we'll meet again then".

They didn't really get that my idea of hell is being in a room with religious peddlers of any Abrahamic stripe.

• Haha 1

Had a guy trying to sell me insurance on the phone tell me I was going to Hell when I declined his offer. Seemed a little harsh I thought. Bless him. 😅 (Smiling face)

Edited by Hairy Canary

4 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

They didn't really get that my idea of hell is being in a room with religious peddlers of any Abrahamic stripe.

Turns out both of you were right and you were  both in hell then.  I quite liked my jehovah's witness callers. Rosemary and David, if you are reading have a very merry unimportant end of the year with no particular festivals on the horizon

On 21/12/2023 at 16:02, TheGunnShow said:

I always thought they were harmless until I saw the Rebecca Vardy documentary. 

A couple of months ago they knocked on my door and a child of about 4 or 5 made a little speech. I found that a bit disturbing. 

Anyway, today sees the 'shortest' day of the year. From now on it gets lighter and better, leading up to us beating Ipswich in the playoffs 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Raptor said:

At least atheists are recognised. Jedi were ignored in the last census results. 

Arrh but I remember a big thing a few years back that if a certain number of people registered to be a Jedi it would have to be recognised as a religious group! Not sure if it was actually true or not but I think it was on the BBC news.