Sign in to follow this  
pete

Need another Lambert

We need to find another Lambert as coach/manager to guide us out of this mess.

We recruited Paul Lambert following relegation to League 1 and maybe a record home defeat 1-7 to Colchester.  And in a worse position than we are.  Lambert brought  lower league experience gained from stints at Wycombe and Colchester.  However he managed to earn promotion from League 1, through Championship and into the PL, playing good football during that run.  He did this by recruiting by players from the lower reaches of the EFL and not investing huge sums while he did so.  He did have the talent of the magical Grant Holt an incomer from the mighty Shrewsbury for peanuts.

Going down the pragmatic route and getting in a coach from the lower leagues who can work within the financial constraints of Norwich City makes sense.  An ideal coach would be Mark Robins who is doing a similar role at Coventry but has now started to improve them.  I know the City faithful with their delusions would expect a bigger name, we do need to be realistic.  Have been down the tried and trusted route and have secured Smith and Wagner and its not working out to well.  If you want a suggestion for a candidate look at the guy at Leyton Orient.

It may be a risk but as long the right selections are made and the team are competitive we can get behind the team.  Which will be different to the current situation.        

We need whatever coach best fits the vision Knapper has in conjunction with MA. I don’t think a Lambert character is necessarily the answer to that but we don’t know yet.

The one thing I 100% believe though is we need to pay the money to take someone who’s performing elsewhere. Other teams cast offs and has beens have not worked. Sackings are inevitable in Football management but if you want to maximise what you get from a Head Coach you take managers at their peaks not troughs.

• Like 2

We’ll never get a manager like Lambert or Alex Neil while Delia remains in place pulling down standards.

And before you start it was clearly McNally forcing those decisions through.

In Delias current state she will demand a recent failure, down on their luck stray dog character that a thoroughly nice chap that just needs a warm bed and pick-me-up

Edited by The Real Buh
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pete said:

We need to find another Lambert as coach/manager to guide us out of this mess.

We recruited Paul Lambert following relegation to League 1 and maybe a record home defeat 1-7 to Colchester.  And in a worse position than we are.  Lambert brought  lower league experience gained from stints at Wycombe and Colchester.  However he managed to earn promotion from League 1, through Championship and into the PL, playing good football during that run.  He did this by recruiting by players from the lower reaches of the EFL and not investing huge sums while he did so.  He did have the talent of the magical Grant Holt an incomer from the mighty Shrewsbury for peanuts.

Going down the pragmatic route and getting in a coach from the lower leagues who can work within the financial constraints of Norwich City makes sense.  An ideal coach would be Mark Robins who is doing a similar role at Coventry but has now started to improve them.  I know the City faithful with their delusions would expect a bigger name, we do need to be realistic.  Have been down the tried and trusted route and have secured Smith and Wagner and its not working out to well.  If you want a suggestion for a candidate look at the guy at Leyton Orient.

It may be a risk but as long the right selections are made and the team are competitive we can get behind the team.  Which will be different to the current situation.        

I think a change of head coach is long overdue. Just looking at yesterdays results and seeing what Villa  achieved shows what the right coach can do. Gerrard failed, Dean Smith failed but the present coach has changed that even with injuries to Buendia and Mings. Let’s get the right person in and enjoy the football once again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

We’ll never get a manager like Lambert or Alex Neil while Delia remains in place pulling down standards.

In Delias current state she will demand a recent failure, down on their luck stray dog character that a thoroughly nice chap that just needs a warm bed and pick-me-up

What like Farke?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

Won't happen. There's only one Paul lambert.  We sung a song about it and the song wouldn't lie

There's actually another one who worked at Roys in Bowthorpe. We should get him in. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

The actual Alex Neil is now available....

Although it won’t be popular the club needs a bit of stability ever since lambert it’s been a rollercoaster with promotions and relegations nearly every season. David Wagner the world streakiest manager is not helping very much. Personally I wouldn’t go back to Alex Neil and would be more interested in Tony Mowbray.

Lambert was good for the situation we were in - League 1. We are not in League 1. 

Alex Neil was good for the situation we were in - part way through the season and losing our way in the championship - same as now.

Ergo I would rather have another Alex Neil in than another Paul Lambert. Interesting that Neil is available, but he is not the same person he was coming in before as he is now. He was assertive, single minded and raw to management in 2015, which helped him at that time. He now has some mental baggage of years of managing and no further promotions to his name.  Still a good manager in some ways, but probably better suited to lower league clubs where he doesn't have big egos to deal with. 

Both Lambert and Neil struggled at clubs where players would not put up with authoritarian managers. Farke struggled with that too eventually, having kicked out anyone that did not toe the line, with Gilmour and Cantwell being the most obvious problem latterly that gave him problems that were part of his downfall.

Need someone fresh to come in as all three of those managers did. No has beens, just someone who can motivate and galvanize a mal-functioning group of good players. One exception - Warnock wold be an older manager I would consider - his record of motivating players is unrivalled.

Edited by lake district canary