Sign in to follow this  
Grumpy

Another one that might get away.

It really does mystify me why Wagner doesnt give Sainz a run out from the start.
Hernandez while certainly showing a glimpse of improvement just doesnt seem to have that 'end product' to his game.

Prior to his unfortunate injury Sainz was being lauded by all and sundry as the answer to our prayers but hasnt started a game yet.
I do hope  that we dont have a repeat of the situation we had when Farke froze Patrick Roberts out,who went on to be a very influential player for Sunderland.

I thought he was poor when he came on Saturday. Kept threatening to run into trouble.

But like I said on another thread, the lad is on a hiding to nothing this year having had no preseason and trying to get up to speed in a new league with 10 or 15 minutes here and there. Probably need a bit of patience with him til next season at this point.

19 minutes ago, splutcho said:

I thought he was poor when he came on Saturday. Kept threatening to run into trouble.

Yeah, he kept dribbling with the ball in deep positions, expecting his teammates to move forward into space for him to pass to.

Silly boy. He'll soon learn.

• Haha 5

Don't get why he's not getting starts either.  He isn't going to be match fit unless he gets the minutes into his leg and probably quite demoralising to get back from injury, score against Fulham and then be offered very little matchday momentum.

Surely Onel is a much better option to bring off the bench too, so it all goes hand in hand for me.  Sainz is one of our few wide players who could be consistently brilliant.  Rowe can be outstanding in bursts, but Sainz strikes me as a player who fits into a system better as is relatively easier to trust and know what he's going to do so you can plan off the ball when and where to make the runs.

27 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Yeah, he kept dribbling with the ball in deep positions, expecting his teammates to move forward into space for him to pass to.

Silly boy. He'll soon learn.

Good point, well made 😅

Sainz is going the way of Tzolis, not being played because he either can't or won't spend most of his time defending in his own half.

Having all of the players back behind the ball is not helping our defending, at least if we judge by the goals against column. How many times this season have we seen four or five Norwich players around one or two opponents, yet somehow they get a shot on target or make a killer pass to an unmarked teammate? Perhaps if you organised the team better, Wagner, you wouldn't need to have someone like Sara making mistakes close to his own penalty area and players like Sainz trapped in the corner near his own goal line. 

Against QPR we spent the majority of the second half defending for our lives.Hardly the sort of situation to bring a player such as Sainz on whose weak point is,as was the case with Roberts, defending.His pace could have been used had we been able to force a counter attack but as has been said he was playing far too deep  

Barring the Fulham game, I've not been particularly impressed with him when he's had game time. Another one we're overrating in blind hope that he has to be better than Onel?

Edited by Ken Hairy
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Barring the Fulham game, I've not been particularly impressed with him when he's had game time. Another one we're overrating in blind hope that he has to be better than Onel?

He’s a forward and this is an under-performing, even dysfunctional team and he has only had a few minutes on the pitch having had a long break through injury and he’s new to English football, this team.   

Agree there’s been a certain number on here getting over excited without evidence but unless he’s given more opportunities it’s far to early for judgment and it’s clear now that Wagner is frightened to death to trust the youngsters and develop the team.   

As far as I remember, defensive contributions were actually one of his stand-out qualities in Turkey so I don't think its that.

Something must be up for him to not be getting in the side though. He looked like he struggled to catch the pace of the game on Saturday, but he's had very few Championship minutes so you can forgive him that. Less so, dribbling the ball directly into trouble in our defensive third several times and getting a few tellings-off from his teammates.

With Rowe being out it should be a big opportunity for him to stake a claim, so I'd expect him to start tonight. If he doesn't then it's a real mystery.

I don't see where Onel is showing much improvement at all. His role is to move us up the pitch, he seldom does that now.

Sainz needs minutes, lots of them. Will it be against Watford, I doubt it as he was incredibly poor when he came on. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Knapper loans in him out in January if he doesn't get more gametime here.

17 hours ago, splutcho said:

But like I said on another thread, the lad is on a hiding to nothing this year having had no preseason and trying to get up to speed in a new league with 10 or 15 minutes here and there. Probably need a bit of patience with him til next season at this point.

Like Hernandez does'nt threaten to run into trouble!!

17 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Don't get why he's not getting starts either.  He isn't going to be match fit unless he gets the minutes into his leg and probably quite demoralising to get back from injury, score against Fulham and then be offered very little matchday momentum.

Surely Onel is a much better option to bring off the bench too, so it all goes hand in hand for me.  Sainz is one of our few wide players who could be consistently brilliant.  Rowe can be outstanding in bursts, but Sainz strikes me as a player who fits into a system better as is relatively easier to trust and know what he's going to do so you can plan off the ball when and where to make the runs.

There’s the issue, even with Onel’s limitations he has double the number of legs. 😉

• Haha 1