dylanisabaddog

Royal Family and the missing millions

KG had better have a will, otherwise William will be getting his riches.

And yes, bloody crooks, can hardly believe the existence of such a laws in 2023.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I actually thought that was a fairly well known fact -  no will and no relatives - goes to the state - in this case the king.

No it's not well known. Some people quite like them. 

In the 1970's Queenie wrote to Parliament and claimed to own the sea bed up to 12 miles around the UK. No one had the balls to tell her to **** off so we are still paying rent to Charles for cables and wind turbines. It's unbelievable. 

1 hour ago, Canary73 said:

This is why they need axing and all their estates handed back for public uses.

Yea, it could be used to fund much needed environmental improvements like boiler upgrades, insulation and new windows in buildings recognised for their contribution to our most treasured land and townscapes?

Edited by Barbe bleu

41 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I actually thought that was a fairly well known fact -  no will and no relatives - goes to the state - in this case the king.

Only around  £5 million gross a year goes to this scheme so I think it is quite well known that if you don't sign a  will and have no next of kin you lose your say on who will get the goods.

Edited by Barbe bleu

15 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Only around  £5 million gross a year goes to this scheme so I think it is quite well known that if you don't sign a  will and have no next of kin you lose your say on who will get the goods.

Yes. The only thing thst slightly surprised me was that it went to the King personally. I guess that's a hangover from being 'subjects'.

18 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

"only" £5m goes to this scheme "

That is probably the most ridiculous comment I've ever read on this forum. 

Give your head a wobble. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

"only" £5m goes to this scheme "

That is probably the most ridiculous comment I've ever read on this forum. 

Give your head a wobble. 

Did the real buh introduce the phrase "give your head a wobble" onto this forum?  It's one of those viral phrases that are really potent the first time you hear them and then become '"cringe".

In the context of  a gdp of £3.3trillion I'm not going to very excited about £5million that the previous owners have no need for being used to do up heritage assets and make them more sustainable.   I'd be slightly annoyed if it funded the King's dubonnet collection but there wasn't actually any evidence in the article that it really does increase rental income from the duchy.

Edited by Barbe bleu

8 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

more sustainable

The rents from these more sustainable properties do go directly to the King, to spend on his dubonnet collection if he so wishes.

They're the biggest scroungers on the planet.

Just sorted my will. Pretty simple. Niece and nephews get an equal share of the house. A musical instrument each, drawn out of a hat.  Then they have to meet up. Get drunk and pick a lego set each in turn till they run out of sets. 

My Hawaiian shirt collection will be placed at the door of my funeral for people to help themselves. They must all be worn before the ceremony starts. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would enjoy watching that TV daytime doc Heir hunters. Which was actually the most morbid thing you could watch during the day outside of the news. As it was essentially watching companies chase dead peoples money, but it was fascinating not only because of how they did it and who the money would go to, but the story they would tell of the dead person.

I've no problem with stuff like that going to the Crown, but equally no problem with changing it.

Strikes me they could create a central fund creating a fixed amount to distribute across local councils. Not all of it would be allocated to this fund, but it would be set at a level so that it never got lower than that to lower for sustainable budgeting. I.e. getting mega bucks one year is no point if they will never be to maintain what they do with it in future years.

16 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

There's a misnomer that a will has to be signed in front of a Notary or a Lawyer. It doesn't.

As long as you're over 18. In sound mind and body. And you sign the document in front of two people (who are also both over 18, in sound mind and body and In clear view of the person signing it) it's perfectly legal.

Research would be important to do in that respect in regards to key things to include and maybe some structure and particular wording to use. To protect against "interpretation" of the will. For example wording to the effect of "I renounce the previous will and this one supercedes it." Also appointing an executor.

Regardless of who made the will it's important to tell people where it is and also seperately what your funeral wishes are. It's highly likely if you're trying to source a will and you believe it contains funeral wishes, that funeral will have been held before you find it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Research would be important to do in that respect in regards to key things to include and maybe some structure and particular wording to use. To protect against "interpretation" of the will. For example wording to the effect of "I renounce the previous will and this one supercedes it." Also appointing an executor.

Regardless of who made the will it's important to tell people where it is and also seperately what your funeral wishes are. It's highly likely if you're trying to source a will and you believe it contains funeral wishes, that funeral will have been held before you find it.

I've been meaning to do a will for ages, pretty poor form that I don't have one given the fact I've got kids. I've got a copy of my folks paid-for, solicitor-drafted will. If I just used that and changed the names, beneficiaries, executors and all that jazz, got it signed by witnesses and sent a copy to the executor(s), I could save myself a couple of hundred quid?

11 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Yes -simple wills need not cost more than a few hundred or a lot less - but informal DIY wills are notorious for failing! You can even get simple wills done with proper solicitors for almost nothing (charity) i.e cancer research (the like to be left a small legacy). There really is little excuse these days to be intestate.

Edited by Yellow Fever

8 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

I've been meaning to do a will for ages, pretty poor form that I don't have one given the fact I've got kids. I've got a copy of my folks paid-for, solicitor-drafted will. If I just used that and changed the names, beneficiaries, executors and all that jazz, got it signed by witnesses and sent a copy to the executor(s), I could save myself a couple of hundred quid?

Up to you really I can't say one way or another what works. If what it says applies to your and your partners will(think how the instructions would work when one of yous die first),  there is nothing to stop you making it up and finding a solicitor or even a legal clinic/forum to run their eyes over it(But do they know what they are talking about?) Or to pay a solicitor at a later date to make a new one up. Solicitors can offer reasonable prices for wills as they usually will keep it for you and this encourages future business. Every solicitor is different and can work to differing levels of standards so it's doesn't mean they all will do a great job.

Waffle starts here.

The issue is the more you think about it the more questions and possible scenarios are raised. I've typed tons making this response and deleted it to not overcomplicate it. For example the right of succession(might just be a Scottish thing) where people related to the deceased benefit from the estate even if written out the will(or no will???). As below don't worry you'll be dead

The point is as darkknight says you can do it yourself and it will guide what you leave to the relevant people and not to the goverment/king. The issue is if it's not clear it can lead to people trying to delay or invalidate it. The basic idea as I've gathered it is the Will needs to be shown to places like Banks and maybe some other companies might want to see it. The local court for probate needs it and then it becomes public record. The unknown problem is do these places get funny if it's not quite written in their language. Will people challenge the will? Also try and keep the document in good nick and unaltered i.e. here used to be staple where there isn't one now and another staple is there. That last part is being paranoid, but it's a example of how small details should there be a dispute can cause trouble.

Apparently Piers Morgan has named two senior members of the royal family who are alleged to have  commented about the skin colour of  Prince Harry and Meghan’s son on his Talk TV show last night. Unlikely I know , but was anyone watching and what did he say ?

4 minutes ago, MooreMarriot said:

Apparently Piers Morgan has named two senior members of the royal family who are alleged to have  commented about the skin colour of  Prince Harry and Meghan’s son on his Talk TV show last night. Unlikely I know , but was anyone watching and what did he say ?

The Americans are reporting it.

https://www.bandt.com.au/cut-the-crap-piers-morgan-sensationally-outs-royal-racists-on-his-tv-show/

It is Charles and Kate. 

Charles is alleged (by a servant I think) to wonder out loud what skin tone the baby would have. 

I've no idea what Kate is alleged to have said. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised about Charles bearing in mind his upbringing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Knives are out for Kate now since she is the Royals main appeal.

Sometimes I feel sorry for them. They are not politicians who expect to have to watch every word - indeed I'm sure some comments can be made without any untoward intentions which can then be damagingly re-interpreted out of context. Hell, we have an expert or two on that on this very board! That said somethings they should clearly know better ! Not the sharpest knives in the draw.

It's why i think the Royal Family is doomed in its current guise in the age of social media. You can't be the nations soap box opera without the occasional scandal and character dismissal story. How many more seasons do you think it got left in it before it's cancelled? 

4 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Sometimes I feel sorry for them. They are not politicians who expect to have to watch every word - indeed I'm sure some comments can be made without any untoward intentions which can then be damagingly re-interpreted out of context. Hell, we have an expert or two on that on this very board! That said somethings they should clearly know better ! Not the sharpest knives in the draw.

It's why i think the Royal Family is doomed in its current guise in the age of social media. You can't be the nations soap box opera without the occasional scandal and character dismissal story. How many more seasons do you think it got left in it before it's cancelled? 

This is the last series apparently. Is it any good? 

On 27/11/2023 at 09:23, KiwiScot said:

Basically find a simple will that has been drawn up by someone legally qualified, copy it and make the appropriate substitutions.

And on funeral wishes, I’m a firm believer that funerals are for those left behind as an important step in the grieving process, so while it’s fine to express some opinions as to what you would prefer, you won’t be there so don’t get too precious about it.

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Basically find a simple will that has been drawn up by someone legally qualified, copy it and make the appropriate substitutions.

And on funeral wishes, I’m a firm believer that funerals are for those left behind as an important step in the grieving process, so while it’s fine to express some opinions as to what you would prefer, you won’t be there so don’t get too precious about it.

I'm not having a funeral. I'm putting £5k behind the bar at the Social Club and everyone can have a good night out. And my daughter only gets the dosh if she can prove she's walked up to Kinder Scout to spread the ashes😂

Another money saving idea. Don't buy a coffin. Just buy a ball point pen from Amazon and use the box it comes in.