dylanisabaddog

Fireworks ban?

I spoke to my vet yesterday who told me she has kept her diary clear for Sunday and Monday to deal with problems arising from fireworks. 

Isn't it about time we banned them or perhaps just allowed organised and licensed displays? 

No it isn’t. If you’re worried about your pets then keep them indoors for the night. Don’t ruin the tradition for everybody else.

26 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

No it isn’t. If you’re worried about your pets then keep them indoors for the night. Don’t ruin the tradition for everybody else.

What about horses, cattle and wildlife? 

I'm afraid keeping dogs indoors is no help. I have to put them in the car and drive around for a couple of hours. 

There are 2 sorts of people in this world. Those that care for others and for animals. And those that don't care what impact they have on others. 

• Like 1

Personally I'd be for them being restricted to actual organised displays. A ban seems silly (banning something because your dog gets stressed for a night or two isn't a reasonable request) but it is ridiculous when you have neighbours setting off fireworks at 11pm on a random Tuesday.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

What about horses, cattle and wildlife? 

I'm afraid keeping dogs indoors is no help. I have to put them in the car and drive around for a couple of hours. 

There are 2 sorts of people in this world. Those that care for others and for animals. And those that don't care what impact they have on others. 

Why would you have to drive them round? Surely closing the curtains and putting some music on would be more than enough to keep them calm?

Also I do care for others, I just enjoy bonfire night and it’s not a tradition I’d like to see disappear. The joy it brings to people, especially children, to me is worth a few animals being scared for an evening

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Personally I'd be for them being restricted to actual organised displays. A ban seems silly (banning something because your dog gets stressed for a night or two isn't a reasonable request) but it is ridiculous when you have neighbours setting off fireworks at 11pm on a random Tuesday.

I think this is what has happened in Ireland 

8 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

Why would you have to drive them round? Surely closing the curtains and putting some music on would be more than enough to keep them calm?

Also I do care for others, I just enjoy bonfire night and it’s not a tradition I’d like to see disappear. The joy it brings to people, especially children, to me is worth a few animals being scared for an evening

Dogs have hearing 4 times better than humans.

I have no idea why putting them in a car should be beneficial but it is. 

You care for animals but you think your enjoyment is worth scaring them for an evening. That says it all really. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Dogs have hearing 4 times better than humans.

I have no idea why putting them in a car should be beneficial but it is. 

You care for animals but you think your enjoyment is worth scaring them for an evening. That says it all really. 

What does it say? I do like animals, however I also think traditions and shared experiences are important. For 1 night a year yes I think the benefits outweigh the harms 

10 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

What does it say? I do like animals, however I also think traditions and shared experiences are important. For 1 night a year yes I think the benefits outweigh the harms 

There’s the issue right there it’s not one night, it’s every night for a fortnight and the fireworks sold to the general public are ten times the size they were twenty years ago!

I’m all for having fireworks in a controlled environment and for one weekend, so ban them from public sale and keep it to organised events. That way everyone wins!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No issue with it being restricted to organised event and banned from public sale, personally.

However in my local Facebook groups the very fact that fireworks go off at all is enough to send some sensitive bleeding hearts into a maddened frenzy, apparently a few days of discomfort to their autistic child or overly-sensitive pet is enough reason to ban fireworks entirely for the vast majority who enjoy them once or twice a year at organised displays which help fund charities and small businesses.

43 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

No issue with it being restricted to organised event and banned from public sale, personally.

However in my local Facebook groups the very fact that fireworks go off at all is enough to send some sensitive bleeding hearts into a maddened frenzy, apparently a few days of discomfort to their autistic child or overly-sensitive pet is enough reason to ban fireworks entirely for the vast majority who enjoy them once or twice a year at organised displays which help fund charities and small businesses.

It’s just all so sanitised though isn’t it. Some people won’t be happy until everything fun is under the control of “experts” or banned completely 

• Like 1

We get this exact thing every single year it feels like. "Ohh these bloody fireworks with the young'uns making noise and having fun how am I supposed to enjoy my slipers and werther's originals with all this racket?"

FNi-98-VIAcoLrF.jpg

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

It’s just all so sanitised though isn’t it. Some people won’t be happy until everything fun is under the control of “experts” or banned completely 

Are they really fun any more FC? Have not other "funs" overtaken them such as  ..... er video games etc., theme parks, football streams, Netflix, Ben & Jerry's 98 flavours? 😁🤗

Poorly put and exemplified I admit but so many extra things to give pleasure nowadays exist that make this often dangerous, air-polluting and annoying/frightening out-dated pastime so very infra-dig.

Society has moved beyond getting delight from sparklers and Catherine Wheels surely?

I loved fireworks day as a kid and remember lining up my collection before the night just to admire them all. I even collected the shells the next day and did the same. I cannot possibly imagine any youngster doing such a thing these days. They'd be straight back onto social media.

The magic has long since been replaced.

Surely organised displays are the way to go but even these are so commonplace nowadays that November 5th. has become just another day in November that causes more trouble (very busy night for the Fire brigade and A&E) and distress than it is worth.

Bah humbug!

Edited by BroadstairsR

2 hours ago, Indy said:

There’s the issue right there it’s not one night, it’s every night for a fortnight and the fireworks sold to the general public are ten times the size they were twenty years ago!

I’m all for having fireworks in a controlled environment and for one weekend, so ban them from public sale and keep it to organised events. That way everyone wins!

Yeah, I kind of expect, depending on what day of the week the 5th is, that you'll get fireworks the weekend before and after. This year I started hearing them from about 2 weeks before and I imagine I'll be hearing them for a few days after including on random nights at anti-social times.

Unfortunately a solid % of society seem determined to show they can't be trusted to be conscious socially with things like this. 

Edited by king canary
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Are they really fun any more FC? Have not other "funs" overtaken them such as  ..... er video games etc., theme parks, football streams, Netflix, Ben & Jerry's 98 flavours? 😁🤗

Poorly put and exemplified I admit but so many extra things to give pleasure nowadays exist that make this often dangerous, air-polluting and annoying/frightening out-dated pastime so very infra-dig.

Society has moved beyond getting delight from sparklers and Catherine Wheels surely?

I loved fireworks day as a kid and remember lining up my collection before the night just to admire them all. I even collected the shells the next day and did the same. I cannot possibly imagine any youngster doing such a thing these days. They'd be straight back onto social media.

Surely organised displays are the way to go but even these are so commonplace nowadays that November 5th. has become just another day in November that causes more trouble (very busy night for the Fire brigade and A&E) and distress than it is worth.

Bah humbug!

I'd suggest getting your view of kids from somewhere else than you are right now.

My eldest loves fireworks. Looks at them with proper wonder. A really nice treat for him every year. 

Not all 'youngers' are tween/teenagers obsessed with tiktok. 

• Like 1

Just now, king canary said:

I'd suggest getting your view of kids from somewhere else than you are right now.

My eldest loves fireworks. Looks at them with proper wonder. A really nice treat for him every year. 

Not all 'youngers' are tween/teenagers obsessed with tiktok. 

Fair enough. Can't argue with that.

Let's hope you all have a fun-filled and safe evening.

Bonfire night used to be a big thing when I was a boy in the 1950's. Sad to to see it so diminished these days.

32 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Oh for the good old days. The local corner shop would sell you a pack of bangers when you were ten years old to have fun on park with. 

I remember running around Thorpe Hamlet chucking bangers about 😀

2 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I remember running around Thorpe Hamlet chucking bangers about 😀

The posh kids could afford a box of assorted fireworks. Hot soup and toffee apples was all that was missing. 

16 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Bonfire night used to be a big thing when I was a boy in the 1950's. Sad to to see it so diminished these days.

I don't remember Halloween being nearly as big a thing as it seems to be today though.

4 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I don't remember Halloween being nearly as big a thing as it seems to be today though.

It has grown massively- US cultural imperialism in action!

• Like 1

If they restrict celebrations to just the night of the 5th of November rather than spread it over an excess of a number of days, I suppose that would be more acceptable....

Me personally?....I'd rather have an organised impressive night-time lazer an' light show which would probably work out cheaper than money going up in smoke....After attending Carra on night games, I think I've become conditioned to it....

Anyway, have the Easter eggs been put on Supermarket shelves yet?....

6 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Turnip hollowed out with a candle shoved in it....and that was it.....

5 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Turnip hollowed out with a candle shoved in it....and that was it.....

Alright Baldrick

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Bah humbug!

My daughter is 4, she's too young for videogames, theme parks or football streams, and the only thing she wants to watch on Netflix is Paw Patrol on repeat. She absolutely loves the fireworks.

Your post has a very "get off my lawn" feeling about it, I think you may need to spend some time with the kids!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, king canary said:

It has grown massively- US cultural imperialism in action!

First they stole the ancient time honoured British Gaelic pagan tradition of Samhain dressing up all scary to try and frighten away evil demons and spirits and rebranded it 'Halloween' and 'trick or treating' but now they're trying to steal Bonfire Night too?

... Bloody Americans

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

49 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

My daughter is 4, she's too young for videogames, theme parks or football streams, and the only thing she wants to watch on Netflix is Paw Patrol on repeat. She absolutely loves the fireworks.

Your post has a very "get off my lawn" feeling about it, I think you may need to spend some time with the kids!

My post may well have been slightly tongue in cheek re: Fireworks night being outdated relative to today's sweet-shop of entertainment for the young and as indicated by my emojis. 

However, I don't actually have a lawn and my comments re: dangers, air-polluting and being an annoyance and scary for many have some merit. The distress caused to pets has already been mentioned above.

Young people playing with fire is unhealthy in my opinion and last year there was a spate of bangers being put through resident's letter boxes in my area which caused a lot of worry to many old folk and backs up that point, along with the current age related restrictions for selling the things which some unscrupulous shop-keepers ignore as per usual.

I suppose the Fire-brigades and A & E Departments throughout the country can cope with any collateral damage though.

Take care.

(Quite frankly I would prefer to contribute to some local charity than have my money go up in smoke just to see a few colours.)

Edited by BroadstairsR

Personally I find them pretty boring nowadays. Loved them as a kid as I got to stay up late midweek as much as anything. But I go along with the properly conducted display on the night of the 5th and none other. So I suppose that means not on sale to the general public.

Never did penny for the guy but did do carol singing. People gave you and your mates 6d just to clear off.

Edited by keelansgrandad
  • Like 2