cambridgeshire canary

How difficult do we think Swansea will be?

Beacause its feels like its going to be a bit of a banana skin kind of match.

You would take a quick look at Swansea and see that theyre 19th in the table but then notice they have won their last two matches and have scored 6 times in those two matches.

Feels like with that in mind should be an entertaining match at least!

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Depends very much on team selection, imo. I am convinced that, due to current injuries, we need to become a more defensive unit, even if just for away games. The manager seems to see it differently and, if Saturday is anything to go by, insists upon being more enterprising.

He should know but even a win such as that gainst Brum does not necessarily endorse the approach adopted.

It will probably be the same starting eleven against the Swans as they are a moderate team, but changes in personnel might well be needed earlier than the last time around.

I would like to see Forshaw start as he seems to have a competence which could mitigate the loss of Sargent's all-round efforts. Like others, I feel that our most potent goalscorer, Sara, should be employed nearer the opposition penalty area, or at least not have need to be as concerned with his defensive duties.  

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, canarycop said:

Gunn

Stacey Baath Gibson Giannoulis 

Forshaw McLean 

Rowe Sara Placheta

Idah

That would be mine, but perhaps keep Duffy in there. Plymouth apart I feel that he has become somewhat of a success story and cannot really understand why he has suddenly been under the PinkUn cosh.

That apart I also feel that, without Sargent and Barnes we lack true 'headability' on the end of all those crosses and corners we put in. Duffy forward for the latter at least goes some way towards remedying this, I should think. 

Rotation-wise and with thick and fast games, Baath makes sense though. Warner should be a fixture by the end of the season even though we seem likely to have a surfeit of muscle men for the two centre back spots.

Edited by BroadstairsR

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

It's an away game in the Championship. By definition it's a banana skin!

True!

Although the phrase normally suggests the unexpected interruption of a clear forward route to some specified success point. For me, September’s events put paid to residual notions that we’re going to be an automatic promotion candidate.

If the squad is so paper-thin that losing a couple of first-teamers plunges our form from 2nd in the first four games down to 20th over  the next four (15th if you add in Saturday.. whoop), we’re not exactly a durable proposition for the season.

If anyone disagrees, the floor is yours for exposition of the secret great qualities and talents of this squad and coaching team. Ideally one that doesn’t revolve around “When Josh comes back we’ll smash the league” simplicity. Or that “we’ve won slightly more than we’ve lost”. Or “You’re a collection executive “.

Mid-table to play-offs is where the club seems once again to be heading. That doesn’t feel alas like the kind of destination where a defeat can register as a banana-skin slip-up! 

Edit: Just to be clear, my thesis is not ‘things can never get better’ or ‘there’s a mathematically insurmountable gulf to 2nd place’. It’s ‘As things stand we can’t say we’re on course for the automatics’.

Edit 2: ‘a first-teamer’ to ‘a couple of first teamers’

Edited by GenerationA47
Clarification, anticipating replies to a different point that I’m not making

5 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

True!

Although the phrase normally suggests the unexpected interruption of a clear forward route to some specified success point. For me, September’s events put paid to residual notions that we’re going to be an automatic promotion candidate.

If the squad is so paper-thin that losing one first-teamer plunges our form from 2nd in the first four games down to 20th over  the next four (15th if you add in Saturday.. whoop), we’re not exactly a durable proposition for the season.

If anyone disagrees, the floor is yours for exposition of the secret great qualities and talents of this squad and coaching team. Ideally one that doesn’t revolve around “When Josh comes back we’ll smash the league” simplicity. Or that “we’ve won slightly more than we’ve lost”. Or “You’re a collection executive “.

Mid-table to play-offs is where the club seems once again to be heading. That doesn’t feel alas like the kind of destination where a defeat can register as a banana-skin slip-up! 

Presumably you do not regard Barnes as a first teamer then, despite the fact that he played regularly. If you did your critique would change somewhat as we basically lost our two main forwards. Still nice to have an agenda which conveniently ignores such facts.

2 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Presumably you do not regard Barnes as a first teamer then, despite the fact that he played regularly. If you did your critique would change somewhat as we basically lost our two main forwards. Still nice to have an agenda which conveniently ignores such facts.

That’s right, I have an agenda. It’s… to question the banana skin premise. And.. er. That’s it (Ed: see if you can ‘find’ some skeletons in the cupboard, maybe evidence of a gunpowder plot)

Happy to make the correction in the original post which doesn’t change anything else

@Commonsense Changed that, thanks for pointing it out (and with such good grace).

So now given your hostile tone, I presume you’ll  launch into the speech you’ve holding back on , as to why we are in fact on course for automatic promotion.

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Beacause its feels like its going to be a bit of a banana skin kind of match.

You would take a quick look at Swansea and see that theyre 19th in the table but then notice they have won their last two matches and have scored 6 times in those two matches.

Feels like with that in mind should be an entertaining match at least!

Look at Plymouth. Enough said.

16 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

And Rotherham.

We do have a bit of a habit of bottling matches we are favorites for..

Harsh, that. Only need to be a bit below your best and for the other team to play well, and you lose when it comes to the Champs.

All about how Swansea play, if they approach the game like brum with a minimal press then we will probably be OK.   But if they follow Rotherham, leicester and Plymouth and apply an intense press on the centre ofbthe pitch then we will suffer.

They are in form, but its all about our hunger & application   

4 minutes ago, ZLF said:

All about how Swansea play, if they approach the game like brum with a minimal press then we will probably be OK.   But if they follow Rotherham, leicester and Plymouth and apply an intense press on the centre ofbthe pitch then we will suffer.

They are in form, but its all about our hunger & application   

Agreed. I think that's why we need Forshaw, McLean and Sara in the team. 

Does anyone remember the 3-2 victory there under Lambert? 

Reporter - "do you realise Swansea had 80% possession" ? 

Lambert (after a very long silence) "how many points do they get for that" ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Injuries permitting I can't see anything otherthan an unchanged starting XI.

The way we finished the Brum game by basically shutting up shop could make for a very long evening.

Swansea are a far better team than Brum, despite their current poor start. Hopefully we can see a good performance from us. 

38 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Does anyone remember the 3-2 victory there under Lambert? 

Reporter - "do you realise Swansea had 80% possession" ? 

Lambert (after a very long silence) "how many points do they get for that" ? 

Lambert was clearly into XG before it was a thing

33 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Swansea are a far better team than Brum, despite their current poor start. Hopefully we can see a good performance from us. 

Agreed. Brum were probably the most toothless team we've played so far.