Hardhouse44

For me it’s all about the response now

We have to look beyond today total embarrassment and look for the response. I’m not really talking about the cup game. That’s an unneeded distraction that will only compound the problem now.

I’m talking about Birmingham at home on Saturday. We need to see not only the right result but the right performance. Bite, passion some flare and entertainment. We need to see out team come together again and drag us all back in if that makes sense. The players have a responsibility to turn this around now, straight away. Anything else will not do.

OTBC

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That’s what I said earlier - after an abject performance it’s about the players getting their arses kicked and responding (as Rotherham did against us after losing heavily to stoke)

• Like 1

We simply aren't good enough, we will pick up some decent results along the season but we will falter when we need to make it happen and get a decent run of results. We played fairly well midweek against Leicester but failed to get a point, then PA, wtf was that all about?we crept past Stoke 1 0 at home, lost to Rotherham away. People may realise that we are sh1t, have been for a while and isn't going to change for a while either. Are we really happy to go away to Rotherham and Plymouth, scoring 3 goals and conceding 9!!

5 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

That’s what I said earlier - after an abject performance it’s about the players getting their arses kicked and responding (as Rotherham did against us after losing heavily to stoke)

Plymouth did that very thing too yesterday after a midweek mauling! 

• Like 1

I agree with the O/P. Teams usually respond positively after such a headline grabbing defeat and it's a pity that this test comes in a fairly insignificant cup game.

For this reason I would make even more changes than is usual for Fulham. Give even more youngsters an outing plus may be just Hwang (who seems unfit, mismatched and lost at the moment) and Forshaw for another run out and perhaps Placheta who continues to impress and, if little else, is an out-and-out tryer. Baht and young Hills (?) should be central defence and I would desperately like to see one of the few young attackers lead the forward line, but it's difficult to assess which one. I am now firmly among the growing number who do not think that Idah offers enough, despite yesterday, but needs must, and he has to be persevered with whilst every other option is explored. Perhaps even Fashnacht in the centre there for some minutes, at least he knows how to head a ball.

For me the Fulham game now assumes irrelevance (except for being a test of what we have beneath the surface/ in reserve) in the grand scheme of things, whilst the Birmingham game at Carrow road is now a vital test of this squads metal, whilst indicating our wider prospects for the season.

Quite frankly, if the manager includes the likes of Gunn, Gianoullis, Sara, Stacey, Duffy, McClean even for the trip it will demonstrate an unhealthy panic from an individual who has lost the plot .... a plot which is now revealed as being over reliant upon certain individuals and not really insightful planning.

A performance like yesterday against the Blues and the place could get nasty with so many pent-up frustrations coming to the surface. Yesterday was that humiliating. 

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Hardhouse44 said:

We have to look beyond today total embarrassment and look for the response. I’m not really talking about the cup game. That’s an unneeded distraction that will only compound the problem now.

I’m talking about Birmingham at home on Saturday. We need to see not only the right result but the right performance. Bite, passion some flare and entertainment. We need to see out team come together again and drag us all back in if that makes sense. The players have a responsibility to turn this around now, straight away. Anything else will not do.

OTBC

True and that mid-week Fulham game is probably at the worse time when we need a response although ideally any response has to have a lasting effect so why not start it at Fulham eh?. Several of the team from yesterday should start against Fulham on the basis they are not starting against Birmingham and the rest fringe/youth players. Gibson for one, Hwang for another. Give Sainz a run out. Basically we've got two games coming up and everyone is going to get a chance.

It is indeed about the response. From the coach and players. We are in trouble personnel wise so its up to the rest to give a little bit more just like the fans do every season.

Agreed it is all about the response, from manager and players alike.

As with wagners first arrival and the dowell injury the with and without sarge data is stark; exacerbated by teams learning how to stifle us, has gone from promotion chasing  2 pts 3 goals a game to 0.75 pts and a goal a game.  

38 games means it's all still to play for but the defence and and attack has to be far better as does the players focus, the likes of Rotherham and Plymouth are in this division on the same merits as us, we have to apply quality and effort every game if we want to stay in the top 6

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Quite frankly, if the manager includes the likes of Gunn, Gianoullis, Sara, Stacey, Duffy, McClean even for the trip it will demonstrate an unhealthy panic from an individual who has lost the plot .... a plot which is now revealed as being over reliant upon certain individuals and not really insightful planning.

I see the point, but the trouble is that if you leave all these guys out (apologies if that's not what you're suggesting) against a PL side (even a likely second-string PL side) you massively increase the chances of a second successive stuffing, which even in a League Cup match would be pretty disastrous. It's a tricky decision for DW, and if one of our most important players plays and gets injured he will get pelters, but I wouldn't be surprised if he asks quite a lot of the senior players to play midweek to try and get the Plymouth game out of their system as quickly as possible. At the very least, I can see the arguments on both sides. And I think we can all agree this Fulham game could not have come at a worse time.

Where is the response supposed to come from?

We have no firepower.

Totally reliant now on the unreliable Idah. Hwang appears to be a desperate signing, unlikely to make an impact.

Goals only seem likely through Rowe and Sara. 

The only real pace in the team comes from Hernandez and Plachetta, both of whom have zero threat of goals and assists.

We are reliant on two cart horses at the back to keep clean sheets - an increasingly unlikely looking scenario.

The ‘real’ Norwich have finally set their stall - an opposing manager’s dream fixture…….

• Like 2

On 23/09/2023 at 23:34, Hardhouse44 said:

OTBC

All about the response? 

Well the response to the Leicester City defeat was the Plymouth debacle….….….

and the response to the appalling second-half display against Stoke was the Leicester no-show….

and the response to the garbage defeat against Rotherham was the insipid second-half display against Stoke….

and the response to being without one key forward was the Rotherham shocker…..

Response?

This squad of players don’t know the meaning of the word.

• Like 2

We were told that if we ditched all the players who weren't tall and/or muscular enough, and replaced our young, technically gifted players with experienced old hands who knew how to dish out the sh*thousery, but keep any players who could run and run but not do much with a football at their feet, there would be no more of these embarrassing collapses because we would have (grunt-grunt) character and be well hard.

It's looking more and more as if the problem isn't the players, but the recruitment and the system they are being asked to play. 

I know I'm banging the same old drum but nothing is going to improve until Webber is out of the door and, although I like Wagner and want him to succeed, I'm beginning to wonder if he's the right man to take us forward. I still hope he can turn it around, but I don't see many signs of flexibility in his thinking or approach.

I see there is talk of rotation. Where? Only at full back or midfield. Chuck them all back in and tell them that they have to perform. They have to walk off the pitch knowing they gave it all and can feel proud of themselves. The coaches job isn't just about tactics. If they don't know them now they never will. Get some adrenalin pumping.

Worry about Saturday on Friday.

I fear under Wagner were the most predictable side in the league. Last season he starts well and then teams study our play and players and they can predict and counter our game. 

this season looks the same new set of players start well and then we start to get worked out by the opposition who know how we are going to play. 

We are one trick ponies. 

A response needs to be tactical from the coaching side just as much as it needs to be effort from the players. 

Far too many players go missing when the going gets a little bit tough. Hate to say it because I have high hope for him but Sara is at the top of the missing list when the hard graft is required. He is just not affective when teams shut us down and bully us. 

Edited by Hardhouse44

25 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

We are one trick ponies. A response needs to be tactical from the coaching side

As a bare minimum if this season is going to be rescued.