Branston Pickle

Egg chasers World Cup

7 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Sorry but no! RL is like a game of draughts. First my go, then your go, then my go until one team makes a mistake. And the team that gains from that mistake generally cruises to victory (I say generally, yes sometimes there is the odd comeback but the teams with a clever captain are very rarely troubled once they get their heads in front, it becomes a procession). Whereas RU, at least their is a bit more randomness about it. I tend to fall asleep during RL, RU I find more exciting.

RU and RL....either ends of the same length of turd...

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary
  • Haha 1

What a daft game - clear accidental clash of heads.  Not sure quite how that was avoidable, so why on earth is either punished?  The game is far too stop-start and is being ruined from what it once was.

Edit - now a red card- that’s ridiculous. Yes, you need to stop bad tackles, but a red card for accidental clash of heads is just rubbish. It quite probably unfairly decides the game within the first 5 minutes.

Edited by Branston Pickle

6 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

What a daft game - clear accidental clash of heads.  Not sure quite how that was avoidable, so why on earth is either punished?  The game is far too stop-start and is being ruined from what it once was.

Edit - now a red card- that’s ridiculous. Yes, you need to stop bad tackles, but a red card for accidental clash of heads is just rubbish.

Thought these egg chasers were supposed to be tough

6 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

It seems the game is far more stop/start than it used to be, getting as dull as Yank hand egg 

..and yet someone at the top.of this thread proclaimed rugby to be 'the best sport to watch' . ..

17 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Edit - now a red card- that’s ridiculous. Yes, you need to stop bad tackles, but a red card for accidental clash of heads is just rubbish. It quite probably unfairly decides the game within the first 5 minutes.

Looked far more dangerous from the Argie. Ridiculous decision.

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

..and yet someone at the top.of this thread proclaimed rugby to be 'the best sport to watch' . ..

Wasn't me :classic_biggrin:

Not sure this is going to persuade me to watch anymore of this tournament 

Well, its a sport with nonsensical rules, but always nice to bash the Argies,  especially under these circumstances 

Yes really good and as said always great to beat the Argies whatever the event 😉

In the context of the overall World Cup for England this probably doesn't change anything but as a battle of wills and territory that was a great watch.

• Like 1

Galvanising performance and the like that can bring about belief. We have individuals that can change games and if our forwards are like this throughout then we will be very hard to beat. Argentina were poor, but this England side is littered with outstanding players. A favourable route and we can go deep in this tournament. Still think South Africa have it though. 

14 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

OK then proper rugby fans, how is an accidental clash of heads a sending off?

Rugby fans and players will tell you it shouldn't have been a sending off. The game isn't played in slow motion and there was clearly no intent from Curry. 

But because of so much litigation about injuries from Rugby, John Inverdale took a bloke to court because he pnched him during a game, the powers that be want to take tackling out of the game. Tualagi's crunching tackle was one of the best moments of the game. Yet they are trialling tackling below the waste only. Yeah that is going to work.

It is a stupid, stupid decision. There was nothing wrong with the Agentinian tackle either. Its a clash between two people going for the ball. One is bound to get there first. There was never any intent.

Today's finely honed thoroughbreds that constitute the top-level professional footballer wouldn't last five minutes in a game of Rugby.

They'd either pull something, twist something or go off with one strain or the other after no time at all.

Different animals I suppose.

Edited by BroadstairsR

6 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Rugby fans and players will tell you it shouldn't have been a sending off. The game isn't played in slow motion and there was clearly no intent from Curry. 

But because of so much litigation about injuries from Rugby, John Inverdale took a bloke to court because he pnched him during a game, the powers that be want to take tackling out of the game. Tualagi's crunching tackle was one of the best moments of the game. Yet they are trialling tackling below the waste only. Yeah that is going to work.

It is a stupid, stupid decision. There was nothing wrong with the Agentinian tackle either. Its a clash between two people going for the ball. One is bound to get there first. There was never any intent.

Tackling below the waste really doesn't leave much of a target, does it - it's legs only.

It was a yellow as he made no attempt to get into a low tackling position. It became a red when the off field official found no mitigation. 

My concern is three reds in a row for dangerous high tackles is a serious technical issue for England.

I must be very sad. I don't like rugby. But then I don't like cricket, I don't watch athletics, I think cycling for sport should be done on tracks and not main roads, I don't like the Premier League, I definitely don't like international football and don't rate ladies football. I don't like boxing and other violent "sports" and golf and snooker are far better taking part in than watching.

Having said all that, at least rugby still has a better refereeing system than football and cricket uses technology way more sensibly than football.

The way football is governed is so pathetic, the way money has pervaded the game is bad for it, but it still has something more to it than those other sports I mentioned. Not sure what that is, but it still grabs me in a way no other sport does. Of all those sports though, rugby is near the bottom of that list. 

My dad used to watch Rugby League with Eddie Waring on Grandstand every Saturday afternoon in the sixties and I didn't understand it then and I don't now and have never had any desire to understand it.

Also, I've worked in many schools and I've seen so many pupils with bad injuries through playing rugby, sometimes life changing injuries, so is clearly not something that would pass any sensible health and safety regime. Kids are not allowed to play on playgrounds when they're wet, yet they're encouraged to play rugby......doesn't make any sense to me, but what do I know.....

I must be very sad. I don't like rugby. But then I don't like cricket, I don't watch athletics, I think cycling for sport should be done on tracks and not main roads, I don't like the Premier League, I definitely don't like international football and don't rate ladies football. I don't like boxing and other violent "sports" and golf and snooker are far better taking part in than watching.

Having said all that, at least rugby still has a better refereeing system than football and cricket uses technology way more sensibly than football.

The way football is governed is so pathetic, the way money has pervaded the game is bad for it, but it still has something more to it than those other sports I mentioned. Not sure what that is, but it still grabs me in a way no other sport does. Of all those sports though, rugby is near the bottom of that list. 

My dad used to watch Rugby League with Eddie Waring on Grandstand every Saturday afternoon in the sixties and I didn't understand it then and I don't now and have never had any desire to understand it.

Also, I've worked in many schools and I've seen so many pupils with bad injuries through playing rugby, sometimes life changing injuries, so is clearly not something that would pass any sensible health and safety regime. Kids are not allowed to play on playgrounds when they're wet, yet they're encouraged to play rugby......doesn't make any sense to me, but what do I know.....

51 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

Tackling below the waste really doesn't leave much of a target, does it - it's legs only.

But if you tackle the legs from the wrong side you could end up with a serious injury.

13 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

Galvanising performance and the like that can bring about belief. We have individuals that can change games and if our forwards are like this throughout then we will be very hard to beat. Argentina were poor, but this England side is littered with outstanding players. A favourable route and we can go deep in this tournament. Still think South Africa have it though. 

Agreed. What a turn up for the books. Can't see past France, Ireland or South Africa though. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

There's little doubt that if rugby didnt exist  nobody in their right mind would invent such an abhoration now...

26 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

There's little doubt that if rugby didnt exist  nobody in their right mind would invent such an abhoration now...

Knowing what we know, the fact that the players still want to play tells you all you need to know about why humans do things. I expect you’re t-total, never use plastic, never fly anywhere on holiday, don’t eat meat, etc and never will. A sport potentially physically damaging is no different to a practice globally damaging. 

24 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Knowing what we know, the fact that the players still want to play tells you all you need to know about why humans do things. I expect you’re t-total, never use plastic, never fly anywhere on holiday, don’t eat meat, etc and never will. A sport potentially physically damaging is no different to a practice globally damaging. 

A sport that is potentially physically damaging is far different to a practice globally damaging. One only impacts those that choose to take part (and their family), the other has ramifications for everyone and future generations...

Though saying that, my kids both play mini rugby and I am not sure about it, I played and don't appear to have any long term damage from it and nor do any of the many people I know who played, but all it takes is one freak incident...

• Like 1

It can't be as bad as boxing though. Constant and continual hits to head and the odd haymaker to smash the brain around in the skull.

Football is really tame in comparison where it seems all physical contact will eventually be ruled out.