Sign in to follow this  
Yobocop

Yobocop’s Big Question of the week: Loan Stars and Flops

10 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

Happy to be proven wrong but believe marshall was a permanent 

Ah yes - my bad.  I stand corrected - perhaps the brevity of his stay made me think it was a loan ...

14 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Ben Marshall was a permanent, not a loan.

Ben Marshall and Teemu Pukki join Norwich City - BBC Sport

As I said to Yobo, my bad - you are entirely correct.  

Although as an amusing tale of two wildly differing City career trajectories that BBC link will take some beating !!   

Ironically, at the time having seen a fair bit of Marshall at Sheffield Wednesday, I was probably more interested in him signing than some lad that hadn't really cut it at Celtic or Schalke and was coming to us from Danish football ... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barham Blitz said:

As I said to Yobo, my bad - you are entirely correct.  

Although as an amusing tale of two wildly differing City career trajectories that BBC link will take some beating !!   

Ironically, at the time having seen a fair bit of Marshall at Sheffield Wednesday, I was probably more interested in him signing than some lad that hadn't really cut it at Celtic or Schalke and was coming to us from Danish football ... 

We've been a bit hit-and-miss with Danish football, really. Pukki was excellent, Nedergaard gave good service, Helveg was past it, Lungi's reliably filled in gaps but no more, then David Nielsen......

8 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Henri Lansbury was a brilliant loan addition in the Lambert years. How many of those last minute winners would have been scored without his presence. 

Martin Chivers was a really huge disappointment when we loaned him in the early 80's. Well past his best! 

Chivers was not a loan. We bought his registration from Servette and then dumped him after just five months.

But, agreed, he was a disappointment. I suppose there are only so many bargain-bucket signings that pay off.

• Thanks 1

Good : Few of the obvious ones been selected so will go for Leroy Lita.

Bad: Simon Tracey - awful choice for experienced assistance to Marshall when Bryan Gunn got that injury.

Also Gilmour

• Like 1

There are a wealth of “bad” ones, but I guess when you loan a “promising youngster” you can expect that. However, the likes of David Carney, Des Hamilton, Chris Killen, Sibierski, Kane, Elvis Hammond, Koroma…the list goes on. 

Successes though, I didn’t mind Bentley, Crouch, Skipp, and I saw the idea even with the likes of Kabak and Duda and Elmander.

A few that might deserve an honourable mention during tough times, Leroy Lita, Mooney scored a few and Alan ******* Lee left plenty out there for us. Was Rocastle a loan?

I seem to remember we also had David Fairclough and a seasoned keeper - was it Joe Corrigan? Getting relatively recent full internationals on loan must seem like a result.

Kyle Naughton was decent. Patrick Boyle wasn’t. And we had a season of loaning keepers from all over and they were mostly tat. 

For the worst... I present for your consideration, Mr Simon Tracey... 

to quote Wikipedia: "A loan spell at Norwich City during the 1994-95 season was a nightmare for Tracey. He made three appearances - in the first he ran out of his area allowing Coventry to score an easy goal, in the second he was stretchered off with an injury and in the third he let in five goals in an FA Cup tie at Everton."

For the best..  does Hucks count? as he started on loan before the permanent transfer? 

Ched Evans was brilliant in a poor team. I know he got a bad injury but Martin Taylor looked like the player to build a team around. If we signed him permanently, we might not have been relegated imo.

Harry Kane for his ability vs what he actually produced has to be the worst.

11 hours ago, If wed kept Howie.. said:

For the worst... I present for your consideration, Mr Simon Tracey... 

to quote Wikipedia: "A loan spell at Norwich City during the 1994-95 season was a nightmare for Tracey. He made three appearances - in the first he ran out of his area allowing Coventry to score an easy goal, in the second he was stretchered off with an injury and in the third he let in five goals in an FA Cup tie at Everton."

For the best..  does Hucks count? as he started on loan before the permanent transfer? 

Hucks turned to a permanent so doesn’t fit the bill but you’re right a cracking loan move 

Worst - Several contenders for me, including Gilmour, Thomas Helveg and John Hartson but my vote goes to Omar Koroma. One of those we signed from a video and Harry Redknapp's recommendation. Currently still plying his trade at Worthing, despite still not being able to hit a barn door from a yard.

Best - Leroy Lita. If he'd stayed as a permanent we wouldn't have gone down to League One. Still playing at 38.

Anyone remember when Paul Peschisolido rocked up for a bit - wasn't particularly well liked when we signed him as I remember, his performances did very little to change that...

.....and Neale Fenn anyone? Thought not...

1 hour ago, Muffles said:

Anyone remember when Paul Peschisolido rocked up for a bit - wasn't particularly well liked when we signed him as I remember, his performances did very little to change that...

.....and Neale Fenn anyone? Thought not...

Two superb mentions and what these topics are all about…well done sir! 

Talking of loans, didn’t we take two or three young lads from South America? What happened to them - was it just some sort of relationship building exercise or are we genuinely interested in them?

I really wanted to see Gutierrez put the Spider-Man mask on, that will forever be a disappointment for me!  Such a quality player, came at a time where he had his surgery and struggled to stay fit.