I guess there has been a lot of money bet on Ipswich winning and so the bookies are hedging their risk.

Because of the amount of money staked?

I’m quite happy TBH, the higher they (temporarily) fly, the sweeter the fall.

3 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Petition to bring back City 1st / Bill to pass comment here?

I'm sure heading South will be here to talk about how they have the worlds greatest manager and they are heading for straight promotion and next season they'll be finishing 2nd in the Prem or whatever other nonsense his badly damaged brain comes up with

1 hour ago, Captain Holt said:

Can anyone tell me why Ipswich are around 7/1 and we're 14/1 to win the Championship?

Interesting init. Let’s be honest they’ve started like a train and battered an improving Stoke last week.That said I’d love us to play them now.I think we’d beat them comfortably at Carrow Road and at least share  the spoils at their place. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

27 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I'm sure heading South will be here to talk about how they have the worlds greatest manager and they are heading for straight promotion and next season they'll be finishing 2nd in the Prem or whatever other nonsense his badly damaged brain comes up with

Heading Down South ?

Same direction as all t*rds go then ............

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

Interesting init. Let’s be honest they’ve started like a train and battered an improving Stoke last week.That said I’d love us to play them now.I think we’d beat them comfortably at Carrow Road and at least share  the spoils at their place. 

Will agree with the Stoke result, but have beaten a toothless Sunderland who outplayed them and basket case QPR

2 hours ago, Newtopia said:

I guess there has been a lot of money bet on Ipswich winning and so the bookies are hedging their risk.

I doubt it. It’s more that they’ve gone 3 for 3, started strongly, so the bookies contract the odds to minimise their “risk” in case people wanted to lump on. But then fools and their money are easily parted… 

To win the Championship? Neither side is likely to do that. We can begin to envisage play-offs after our encouraging start, and they were talking about that before the season had even started in any case. If fact they assume that they are Premier League bound certs based upon events some forty years ago, but scant evidence since.

Both Leicester and Southampton already seem to be much better bets to actually win the title, whilst a few other more worthy dark horses are looking good. I doubt much money outside the borders of East Anglia is going on either.

I actually think, on evidence so far that City might be the better bet, but we need to spend some of that new money on a couple of "game-changers," should they be needed. We gifted Hull making it a struggle, outclassed Millwall and were virtually cheated at St. Mary's. 

Winning it takes consistent quality over a long hard injury riddled season. I don't think either currently have enough strength in depth to maintain title-winning form over 46 games, and they seem particularly thin below the surface whereby a couple of crucial injuries could easily derail their momentum whilst our back-up is reasonable, but no more. No names, no pack drill but a Jordan Rhodes wouldn't go amiss.

I'd say 20-1 on either would make more sense to all but the risk-averse bookies.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

They've started well results-wise but they've only beaten:

* Sunderland who won 7 at home all year last year, had their centre forward missing and could have been 3-0 up at half time.

* Their first home game of the season.

* And relegation certainties QPR.

Its very, very premature for them to be thinking they can win the league. My bet is they still won't make the play offs and I'm extremely confident we will finish above them. 

10 hours ago, Captain Holt said:

Can anyone tell me why Ipswich are around 7/1 and we're 14/1 to win the Championship?

It's because they're Real Madrid in disguise...

54 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

They've started well results-wise but they've only beaten:

* Sunderland who won 7 at home all year last year, had their centre forward missing and could have been 3-0 up at half time.

* Their first home game of the season.

* And relegation certainties QPR.

Its very, very premature for them to be thinking they can win the league. My bet is they still won't make the play offs and I'm extremely confident we will finish above them. 

This table says all you need to know about them.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/chancenverwertung/wettbewerb/GB2

By now my understanding is that promotion odds are 100% driven by punters who are betting, and the bookies juggle the odds so they will always make money.  Only one team can win the title so if Team X wins the title, punters who have backed all the other teams will lose their money and the bookies just need to make sure what they'll payout on Team X will be covered by the losing bets on every other Team plus a nice profit margin.  If people started to put money onTeam X then the odds will shorten, and vice versa.

The bookies won't be too bothered about who are the "favourites", they have to set opening odds which will require a bit of thought at their end, but then once punters start to bet, it's all down to where the money is going.

I'd imagine the Championship betting is heavily influenced by fan betting in the UK, unlike say the Prem.

So the odds right now say more about how fans are feeling than anything else and clearly binner fans are getting very excited after no real success for longer than most of us can remember.