Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Millwall

Warm and sunny here in Norwich this morning and it might have been a pleasant ride down to the ground but for my daughter offering to to drive us down and pick us up. Consequently we were in the ground twenty minutes before kick off and it was noticeable that quite a few had decided to watch it on the box along with the Womens Cup final. By kick off time I would guesstimate there were still 3-4k seats still unoccupied.

It was a scrappy opening couple of minutes but when Sara and Rowe combined neatly down the left touchline it was the young city winger who came away clear with the ball. The visitors defence resisted strongly in the area butwhen the ball found Fassnacht on the edge of the box a neat lay back to Sargent was cracked low and hard towards goal and only beat Sarkic's right post by inches.

Rowe was a constant annoyance down the left and with some heavy pressure from Sargent and Barnes the Millwall defence was more or less on the back foot from the start. Rowe almost broke through again but was kept out at the expense of a corner and Kenny was first to Sara's low ball into the box but couldn't keep his effort down. Stacey was looking dangerous down the City right and Gianoullis seems to have finally grown into the player we hoped he would be. A quick low pass from him into Joss Sargent nearly opened things up but somehow Millwall scrambled the ball clear.

On twenty minutes the constant pressure around the Millwall eighteen yard line resulted in a free kick award in an ideal position for Gabby Sara. Ashley Barnes was dancing about behind the defensive wall hoping to restrict the keepers view but Sarkic made a fine save diving to his right to punch out the goalbound effort. When the visitors finally got a string of passes together they rarely progressed far and consequently Gunn was rarely troubled. It looked and felt like a goal was coming for the home side and just after the halfway stage it duly arrived. As Rowe came into the penalty are from the left a neat interchange of one touch passing between himself, Sara and Barnes left him open on goal and a sweet finish into the far corner had the crowd out of their seats.

City were well worth their lead and a few minutes later Sargent burst through a couple of tackles but was finally disposessed as he shaped to shoot and the ball was again scrambled clear. The USA striker was having a busy game and his speed and energy always had the Millwall defence under pressure. There were few moments of alarm for the City defence where Duffy and Gibson looked well in control.

As we approached half time Sara, who had been here, there, and everywhere whistled a twenty yarder over the bar and Rowe should really have scored when he latched onto a deep cross but could only steer his header wide of the post. It was indeed a very satisfactory half for City fans and much better than watching it on the telly. During the halftime break I was trying to remember the last time Millwall won at CR and couldn't for the life of me think when that was. I know they regard this as their bogey ground.

Millwall tried to push us back as the second half began but City were soon on the front foot again and when the visitors finally looked to be in a position to clear it was Josh Sargent again charging down a clearance and winning a throw in. From this City earned a frre kick as Kenny was fouled and it was totally fitting that it was Sargent who got his his head on Sara's flighted cross to divert the ball past Sarkic and in off the far post. He deserved that goal through sheer persistance. It was evident again when he barged a Millwall player off the ball in their next attack and covered almost the length of the field to relieve pressure.

The game was virtually done and dusted just before the hour mark when again City swept forward and this time it was Fassnacht and Stacey who combined on the right to deliver the ball into Barnes, who with his back to goal, swivelled and stroked a low shot just inside the far post. It could easily have been a fourth a few minutes later when Gianoullis outran a defender to set up Sargent who cut inside two defenders before unleashing a shot that Sarkic beat away and was unlucky to see the follow up just clear the bar.

Now it was just a matter of running the clock down. Jonathan Rowe had done more than enough with twenty minutes left and was replaced by Springett then Sargent departed to a deserved ovation on eighty minutes to be replaced by Idah. Also MaCallum got a run out as Fassnacht was withdrawn. Gibson got a knock and had to limp off with a couple of minutes left and he and Barnes found replacements in Nunez and Omo.

It would have been nice to keep the clean sheet but somehow as the game moved into eight minutes added, Emakhu managed to slip a couple of tackles and slide a low shot across Gunn and into the far corner. A small blemish however on an otherwise very encouraging display from the home side.  I thought we looked quite solid despite a bit of Millwall pressure in the closing stages while Rowe, Sara, Gianoullis and Sargent were all outstanding in their various roles. Today however my MOM goes to Josh Sargent for a fine headed goal and an all round energetic performance.

Onward and upward. OTBC.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 12

5 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Warm and sunny here in Norwich this morning and it might have been a pleasant ride down to the ground but for my daughter offering to to drive us down and pick us up. Consequently we were in the ground twenty minutes before kick off and it was noticeable that quite a few had decided to watch it on the box along with the Womens Cup final. By kick off time I would guesstimate there were still 3-4k seats still unoccupied.

It was a scrappy opening couple of minutes but when Sara and Rowe combined neatly down the left touchline it was the young city winger who came away clear with the ball. The visitors defence resisted strongly in the area butwhen the ball found Fassnacht on the edge of the box a neat lay back to Sargent was cracked low and hard towards goal and only beat Sarkic's right post by inches.

Rowe was a constant annoyance down the left and with some heavy pressure from Sargent and Barnes the Millwall defence was more or less on the back foot from the start. Rowe almost broke through again but was kept out at the expense of a corner and Kenny was first to Sara's low ball into the box but couldn't keep his effort down. Stacey was looking dangerous down the City right and Gianoullis seems to have finally grown into the player we hoped he would be. A quick low pass from him into Joss Sargent nearly opened things up but somehow Millwall scrambled the ball clear.

On twenty minutes the constant pressure around the Millwall eighteen yard line resulted in a free kick award in an ideal position for Gabby Sara. Ashley Barnes was dancing about behind the defensive wall hoping to restrict the keepers view but Sarkic made a fine save diving to his right to punch out the goalbound effort. When the visitors finally got a string of passes together they rarely progressed far and consequently Gunn was rarely troubled. It looked and felt like a goal was coming for the home side and just after the halfway stage it duly arrived. As Rowe came into the penalty are from the left a neat interchange of one touch passing between himself, Sara and Barnes left him open on goal and a sweet finish into the far corner had the crowd out of their seats.

City were well worth their lead and a few minutes later Sargent burst through a couple of tackles but was finally disposessed as he shaped to shoot and the ball was again scrambled clear. The USA striker was having a busy game and his speed and energy always had the Millwall defence under pressure. There were few moments of alarm for the City defence where Duffy and Gibson looked well in control.

As we approached half time Sara, who had been here, there, and everywhere whistled a twenty yarder over the bar and Rowe should really have scored when he latched onto a deep cross but could only steer his header wide of the post. It was indeed a very satisfactory half for City fans and much better than watching it on the telly. During the halftime break I was trying to remember the last time Millwall won at CR and couldn't for the life of me think when that was. I know they regard this as their bogey ground.

Millwall tried to push us back as the second half began but City were soon on the front foot again and when the visitors finally looked to be in a position to clear it was Josh Sargent again charging down a clearance and wiining a throw in. From this City earned a frre kick as Kenny was fouled and it was totally fitting that it was Sargent who got his his head on Sara's flighted cross to divert the ball past Sarkic and in off the far post. He deserved that goal through sheer persistance. It was evident again when he barged a Millwall player off the ball in their next attack and covered almost the length of the field to relieve pressure.

The game was virtually done and dusted just before the hour mark when again City swept forward and this time it was Fassnacht and Stacey who combined on the right to deliver the ball into Barnes, who with his back to goal, swivelled and stroked a low shot just inside the far post. It could easily have been a fourth a few minutes later when Gianoullis outran a defender to set up Sargent who cut inside two defenders before unleashing a shot that Sarkic beat away and was unlucky to see the follow up just clear the bar.

Now it was just a matter of running the clock down. Jonathan Rowe had done more than enough with twenty minutes left and was replaced by Springett then Sargent departed to a deserved ovation on eighty minutes to be replaced by Idah. Also MaCallum got a run out as Fassnacht was withdrawn. Gibson got a knock and had to limp off with a couple of minutes left and he and Barnes found replacements in Nunez and Omo.

It would have been nice to keep the clean sheet but somehow as the game moved into eight minutes added, Emakhu managed to slip a couple of tackles and slide a low shot across Gunn and into the far corner. A small blemish however on an otherwise very encouraging display from the home side.  I thought we looked quite solid despite a bit of Millwall pressure in the closing stages while Rowe, Sara, Gianoullis and Sargent were all outstanding in their various roles. Today however my MOM goes to Josh Sargent for a fine headed goal and an all round energetic performance.

Onward and upward. OTBC.

Thank you Mr R

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Millwall tried to push us back as the second half began but City were soon on the front foot again and when the visitors finally looked to be in a position to clear it was Josh Sargent again charging down a clearance and wiining a throw in. From this City earned a frre kick as Kenny was fouled and it was totally fitting that it was Sargent who got his his head on Sara's flighted cross to divert the ball past Sarkic and in off the far post. He deserved that goal through sheer persistance. It was evident again when he barged a Millwall player off the ball in their next attack and covered almost the length of the field to relieve pressure.

Onward and upward. OTBC.

1968 apparently.

Do you sense a big change Ricardo? I know its early days but it looks so much better. Slightly more measured today without Onel's pace but Fassnacht looks calm and composed.

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

1968 apparently.

Do you sense a big change Ricardo? I know its early days but it looks so much better. Slightly more measured today without Onel's pace but Fassnacht looks calm and composed.

That dummy for the third goal was just like Klose for Onel's equaliser against Forest in THAT Boxing Day cracker. Casual as you like, but highly effective in creating space for the cross.

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

1968 apparently.

Yes, we looked a class above Millwall who some pundits fancy as a top six side.

I knew it was a long time since they've got much joy at CR. Beyond living memory for some😁

Even by your standards that's a great report,  @ricardo. No idea how you can be so detailed without making notes. I can usually remember the score a few minutes after leaving the ground, but little else.

I couldn't watch today but now I feel like I did. Cheers and OTBC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

Love reading your reports Ricardo, especially when we’ve won! 

Great stuff

Much appreciated. Let's hope we keep winning because it's so much nicer to report on a positive feeling in the ground. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ricardo said:

Millwall tried to push us back as the second half began but City were soon on the front foot again and when the visitors finally looked to be in a position to clear it was Josh Sargent again charging down a clearance and winning a throw in. From this City earned a frre kick as Kenny was fouled and it was totally fitting that it was Sargent who got his his head on Sara's flighted cross to divert the ball past Sarkic and in off the far post. He deserved that goal through sheer persistance. It was evident again when he barged a Millwall player off the ball in their next attack and covered almost the length of the field to relieve pressure.

Onward and upward. OTBC.

Fantastic report and sad to say my wife a lifelong Norwich fan cheered the loudest at the Millwall goal as she had 3-1 as a bet builder! Was a nice return! 3-1, over 7 corners and Rowe to score! I have no idea on these bet things! Never gambled! 

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ricardo said:

Onward and upward. OTBC.

Great report Ricardo (again) It looks like a season of promise could be on. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow
  • Thanks 1

Great reporting Ricardo, I think the team looks 'balanced' for want of a better term, there are no really outstanding players (unlike say Hucks, Emi in the past) but those we have are combining really well to bring the best out of each other. Really liking the 'keep going to the end' attitude as well. It reminds me alot of the first few years under Lambert.

• Thanks 1

ty Ricardo, what a smashing day all around, great performance and result and even the weather was about perfect to. Cannot argue about you choosing Josh as MOTM,  he is a turning out to be some centre forward and with his annoyance to defenders partner Barnes i dont think to many defences  this season will be keen to face those two. But with Rowe's purple patch it feels like goals  can come from anywhere  now and with Dimi  and Stacey doing so much  also it is suddenly a joy to  see City play...fun and entertainment are  back...priceless.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ricardo said:

Warm and sunny here in Norwich...... 

Great report @ricardo Where do you our biggest weakness? Are we still calling for Skipp-esq player? Or as we are playing more direct and have more energy in the front 2/3 we can move up the pitch faster, thus giving that role less importance? 

2 hours ago, Norfolk Dan said:

Great report @ricardo Where do you our biggest weakness? Are we still calling for Skipp-esq player? Or as we are playing more direct and have more energy in the front 2/3 we can move up the pitch faster, thus giving that role less importance? 

I would like to see another experienced CDM.

My only gripe about this performance was the continual faffing around by Angus at the back. Obviously under instructions from the Head Coach, in common with many goalkeepers. He is reasonably comfortable on the ball but I feel too many passes are made to defenders who have an opponent close by and we are putting ourselves under unnecessary pressure and quite often a hurried clearance is made to no one in particular. I can understand the theory of having an alternative to a big goal kick up the middle and the short pass has its plus points but many keepers need to be more aware of the dangers of poor distribution.

13 minutes ago, vos said:

My only gripe about this performance was the continual faffing around by Angus at the back. Obviously under instructions from the Head Coach, in common with many goalkeepers. He is reasonably comfortable on the ball but I feel too many passes are made to defenders who have an opponent close by and we are putting ourselves under unnecessary pressure and quite often a hurried clearance is made to no one in particular. I can understand the theory of having an alternative to a big goal kick up the middle and the short pass has its plus points but many keepers need to be more aware of the dangers of poor distribution.

The days are long gone when Nethercott used to bang the ball up the middle from goal kicks. Might be worth trying it every so often to vary things and keep the opposition guessing.

Very true. Cant think Ron Ashman and Bill Lewis would appreciate all this messing around at the back.