Sign in to follow this  
Michael Starr

Płacheta

Just a quick nod to Placheta last night who looked really good going forward. Seems they are trying to develop his off ball game. You could hear the bench guiding him throughout. "Track Back", "Close". If they can develop his off ball game then he could be a very decent option for us.

Edited by Michael Starr
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Looked like he's starting to utilise his speed better too, I think that's a big benefit when he starts as fullback he has the pitch in front of him and more space to run to build confidence.

Wagner appears to be doing a great job of keeping things simple and drumming instructions into players, he's also very determined in what he see's as their prime position which adds much more clarity to individuals.

Furthermore, I think the redevelopment of PP as a fullback is being used as a tool to reset and reprogram his brain to work on his strengths.  And as many people scoffed at the idea seeing him in that position, it's actually a really clever approach the more I think it over - The work going in can be applied to the wing position too.  It's more about reinventing the player.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Michael Starr said:

Just a quick nod to Placheta last night who looked really good going forward. Seems they are trying to develop his off ball game. You could hear the bench guiding him throughout. "Track Back", "Close". If they can develop his off ball game then he could be a very decent option for us.

Good insight, cheers mate 

clearly there is a player in there somewhere but be interesting to see if they can find one 

wasn’t aware onel was injured so perhaps he starts on Saturday or at least a sub appearance for Fassnacht 

I'm sure the Pinkun tweeted earlier this week that the club are still open to letting him go. He looked a threat last night based on the highlights clip.

Can I be blunt.

The problem we had playing Pukki last season (and the seasons before that) was that an aerial cross from wingers racing to the goal line - indeed almost any cross, wasn't Pukki's game.

With Sargent and Barnes we look a lot, indeed are, deadlier and wingers can play their natural game. 

Well done Placheta

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 3

Don't want to p1ss on this parade but I can't say I'm particularly encouraged if one of our fullbacks has to be reminded to 'track back and close'. Surely there are enough fullbacks in the world that we have to resort to converting a winger. Also it flies in the face of getting shot of Mumba.

On a positive side I'd love to see Placheta come good as an attacking winger.

Well done PP, keep up the good work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Don't want to p1ss on this parade but I can't say I'm particularly encouraged if one of our fullbacks has to be reminded to 'track back and close'. Surely there are enough fullbacks in the world that we have to resort to converting a winger. Also it flies in the face of getting shot of Mumba.

On a positive side I'd love to see Placheta come good as an attacking winger.

Well done PP, keep up the good work.

Maybe it's not 'resorting to' converting him, but instead Wagner has seen potential in PP to be a good full back? Reminds me a bit of when Conte turned Victor Moses into a right wing back the year he won the league with Chelsea. Didn't necessarily need to but was clever enough to know the results could be good.

It's only one game with Placheta but the signs are promising. Also with Mumba I'm sure there were several elements to his departure.

Edited by Gordon Bennett

24 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Maybe it's not 'resorting to' converting him, but instead Wagner has seen potential in PP to be a good full back? Reminds me a bit of when Conte turned Victor Moses into a right wing back the year he won the league with Chelsea. Didn't necessarily need to but was clever enough to know the results qouls be good.

It's only one game with Placheta but the signs are promising. Also with Mumba I'm sure there were several elements to his departure.

Man Utd did it with Valencia , Ashley young also played at the back so it is possible ,

i always thought PP would make a good striker using his pace to get away from defenders , sitting on the last defender ball over the top not many would keep up with him ,

always looked liked more time he had to think the more confused he got so a striker mostly first time instinct ,

of course you have to finish also , 

39 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Maybe it's not 'resorting to' converting him, but instead Wagner has seen potential in PP to be a good full back? Reminds me a bit of when Conte turned Victor Moses into a right wing back the year he won the league with Chelsea. Didn't necessarily need to but was clever enough to know the results qouls be good.

Dirk Kuyt played wing-back for the Netherlands in the 2014 World Cup despite being a winger/striker by trade, and did bloody well at it. His biggest strength was probably his work rate.