cambridgeshire canary

*official lappinitup match thread Saints V Canaries*

7 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

These comments always make me laugh as so many people think they actually know the laws of the game even though they’ve never even seen the LOAF( Laws Of Association Football)

Everybody is a referee when it comes to their club, but are totally blind if it’s for the opposition.

The referee can only go on what he sees and has a split second to make a decision, whereas fans see it over and over again on tv or social media. It’s the hardest job in the world, and they actually have a rate of getting 95% of all decisions right. 

I know how difficult it is to be a ref as I was one about 15 years ago, and the game has evolved so much since then. 

Until I qualified, I also was very blinkered but I see it totally different now.

And for the record, a very good friend of mine who is a former Champs League official said the goal Idah scored last week should have been disallowed as it was a deflection off the defender not a deliberate action which is what the law currently states, as Idah was clearly offside. 

Idah was onside when the ball was delivered, so the deflection off the defender is surely irrelevant?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fuzzar said:

Idah was onside when the ball was delivered, so the deflection off the defender is surely irrelevant?

I’ll take the word of a qualified ref still working for the FA rather than what supporters say tbh. 

it’s as I said read the LOAF then try and understand. I’m not dissing people by the way but I’m sure as the season goes by and we get dodgy decisions, as this was, people won’t be so quick to say the ref got it wrong

Just now, TheBaldOne66 said:

I’ll take the word of a qualified ref still working for the FA rather than what supporters say tbh. 

it’s as I said read the LOAF then try and understand. I’m not dissing people by the way but I’m sure as the season goes by and we get dodgy decisions, as this was, people won’t be so quick to say the ref got it wrong

The ref was qualified in the Hull game, checked with his assistant and gave the goal.

1 minute ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Are you talking about Idah last week? If so please ask said qualified referee to hang up his whistle as he's clearly not got a scooby about the rules. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Fuzzar said:

The ref was qualified in the Hull game, checked with his assistant and gave the goal.

Yes he did, just as yesterdays ref was and made the decisions he did. 

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

Are you talking about Idah last week? If so please ask said qualified referee to hang up his whistle as he's clearly not got a scooby about the rules. 

Ok, I’ll pass it on that somebody who’s never reffed a game in his life knows more than him lol 

Ok, I’ll pass it on that somebody who’s never reffed a game in his life knows more than him lol 

And you know I've never reffed how exactly? Oh and please do, I'm being serious if he's watched that back and is telling you that then he's one of a long list of terrible officials.

Edited by Ken Hairy

17 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

These comments always make me laugh as so many people think they actually know the laws of the game even though they’ve never even seen the LOAF( Laws Of Association Football)

Everybody is a referee when it comes to their club, but are totally blind if it’s for the opposition.

The referee can only go on what he sees and has a split second to make a decision, whereas fans see it over and over again on tv or social media. It’s the hardest job in the world, and they actually have a rate of getting 95% of all decisions right. 

I know how difficult it is to be a ref as I was one about 15 years ago, and the game has evolved so much since then. 

Until I qualified, I also was very blinkered but I see it totally different now.

And for the record, a very good friend of mine who is a former Champs League official said the goal Idah scored last week should have been disallowed as it was a deflection off the defender not a deliberate action which is what the law currently states, as Idah was clearly offside. 

What does your ex official friend think about the offside goal ?

Just now, CANARYKING said:

What does your ex official friend think about the offside goal ?

Last weeks one you mean? 

Should have been ruled out he said. 

So it's not possible your friend has made a mistake? When Nunez delivers the ball Idah is onside. That he's ahead of the last defender after the deflection is surely irrelevant?

Just now, Fuzzar said:

So it's not possible your friend has made a mistake? When Nunez delivers the ball Idah is onside. That he's ahead of the last defender after the deflection is surely irrelevant?

And that’s the key word, deflection. Not a deliberate action as stated in the LOAF. 

3 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

No, but I don't like presumptions :classic_biggrin:

So you never presume anything then? Even though you say a fully qualified ref knows nothing about the laws? Is that not a presumption? 

Edited by TheBaldOne66

2 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

And that’s the key word, deflection. Not a deliberate action as stated in the LOAF. 

That's a whole new kettle of fish - depends if it's a genuine deflection or the defender just didn't sort his feet out. The ball travelled all the way from outside the box, I wouldn't say it deflected off the defender.

Just now, Fuzzar said:

That's a whole new kettle of fish - depends if it's a genuine deflection or the defender just didn't sort his feet out. The ball travelled all the way from outside the box, I wouldn't say it deflected off the defender.

And that’s where the problems lie, it’s the interpretation of the referee, who as I said earlier, has a split second to make a decision at this level, until VAR comes in at Champs level this is how it’s gonna be sadly. 

24 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Exactly this. IIRC there was no Norwich touch on the ball other than the cross, so how could he possibly be offside when the Hull player played it back to him?

Would be a bit worried if a qualified Champions League ref thought otherwise, although wasn't there some debate as to whether Idah was actually onside from the cross in?

Edited by Ian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

So you never presume anything then? Even though you say a fully qualified ref knows nothing about the laws? Is that not a presumption? 

Touché,  what I can say then with absolute certainty is IF he has told you this after seeing the incident back with complete clarity,  then he doesn't understand this law.

It was a deliberate action

Sounds like that ref of yours needs to retire or should have never been given his qualification. 

On reflection, he sounds perfect for the championship 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Sounds like that ref of yours needs to retire or should have never been given his qualification. 

On reflection, he sounds perfect for the championship 

Wow, really? He was an EPL ref for many years and Champs League too ffs! You don’t get there without knowing **** all!

I love how all the **** on here that have never been refs in their lives think they know better than fully qualified people. 

4 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

"Name him! Name him! Name him!" 

Agree with this,  if he's so adamant he's right and we're all wrong he'll have no issue being named (unless it's **** of course 😉

• Like 1

I am certain the refs get more right than they get wrong, and a lot of this is interpretation.  Whether the ball went in or out against Hull was decision it was made in an unbiased way.

With the penalties yesterday the referee made a decision.  I thought the second one was really soft, the refs have been told not all contact in the area is a penalty therefore they are able to take the amount of force and intent into consideration.  I just thought KWP would not have gone over anywhere else on the pitch due to that challenge therefore it should not have been given, but I can see why it was.

With the goal, I really could see why it was disallowed.  The offside players were in the goal keepers eye line when the first shot came in, without them there the result might have been different. 

21 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Wow, really? He was an EPL ref for many years and Champs League too ffs! You don’t get there without knowing **** all!

I love how all the **** on here that have never been refs in their lives think they know better than fully qualified people. 

You don’t need to have reffed any game at any level to know the rules.  It’s a pretty stupid assertion to suggest that only a qualified ref  can make a correct decision.

3 hours ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Idah was not offside when the ball was crossed in do your friend is talking sh*t

3 hours ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Yes but the key moment in terms of offside is when Nunez crosses the ball, not when it is deflected off the defender. There is a legitimate question over whether it was a corner in the first place or indeed there was a push on the defender before the ball comes in, but it was not offside.