2 minutes ago, S_81 said:

Surprising that some other championship clubs didn’t test the water 

Maybe they just assumed that he wasn't available. Most clubs don't let a young, promising player leave after what looks like a breakthrough season.

2 hours ago, S_81 said:

You really are Webber ball5 sucking muppet aren’t you. In fact is that you Stu? 

You made out it would be impossible to sign anyone as good as Mumba for less money when Mumba is a literal example of us doing that.

If you were capable of reading and then debating at a vaguely adult level you'd realise very few if anyone has "defended" the sale but instead simply discussed what they believe the clubs thinking is behind it.

Of course, after going on this tirade and deciding to try and insult, you won't of course look silly if Mumba looks totally out of his depth this season.. 

3 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Maybe they just assumed that he wasn't available. Most clubs don't let a young, promising player leave after what looks like a breakthrough season.

Hahaha what? You think us as the selling club wouldn't alert other teams? 😅😅😅😅

This is the best post on the entire thread!

8 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Wise words from BethnelY&G

Yeah but Bethnal is pretty knowledgeable on football in general so won't go down well on here 😉

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

You made out it would be impossible to sign anyone as good as Mumba for less money when Mumba is a literal example of us doing that.

If you were capable of reading and then debating at a vaguely adult level you'd realise very few if anyone has "defended" the sale but instead simply discussed what they believe the clubs thinking is behind it.

Of course, after going on this tirade and deciding to try and insult, you won't of course look silly if Mumba looks totally out of his depth this season.. 

And, of course, you will look silly if Mumba turns into a major player and you supported selling him for peanuts.

Except you won't. Because you'll rewrite history again like you did with Smith and say no, no, no, I was always totally against the Mumba sale.

11 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Yes, it was a lower level, but some of the people arguing this (not you) are being rather selective in their logic when they say that Fisher can take over as cover for RB. Somehow it doesn't seem to matter that he has come from an even lower level.

I hope for his sake it's the case that Bali wanted to leave. It doesn't sound as if Wagner went out of his way to get him involved on his return. Whether it's true or not, I expect the club to put out via the PinkUn fairly soon that it was the player's choice. I imagine they have been rather surprised by the reaction of many fans to this news (this is assuming the club gives a damn what fans think, which is debatable nowadays).

Fair enough and for the record, I have no idea about Fisher and what level to expect from him.

Let's just see how it pans out, always good to have a constructive debate.

1 minute ago, canarybubbles said:

And, of course, you will look silly if Mumba turns into a major player and you supported selling him for peanuts.

Except you won't. Because you'll rewrite history again like you did with Smith and say no, no, no, I was always totally against the Mumba sale.

Can you post some evidence re Smith? Because I asked last time and you disappeared. 

Because unless I've deleted all my Smith posts, it's pretty impossible to rewrite history on here, isn't it?

Instead they're all out in the open.

And in line with your regular ability to make things up and hope they stick, I've not actually defended the Mumba sale, or said if it's a good or bad thing.

But don't let that stop you, it doesn't usually 😅😅

6 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

See above "Only about 10% of Championship transfers are over £1m so that feels in the right sort of area."

This is incredibly disappointing for a number of reasons but the biggest issue is that it's yet another step in our disastrous transition away from skilful/technical towards physical ('pragmatic') football. It's Webber continuing to chase his losses two seasons after he gambled his house on red and blew the lot.

The hope that many of us retain for the medium term is entirely based on bringing through exciting young players like Mumba. Selling him removes that hope and leaves us with the stark reality of a squad bereft of ability and confidence. Where does our future lie if we're going to let players like this go?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Plymouth have a far better season than us. We seem to be rapidly becoming a basket case of a club. I've been calling for patience but we need something to be positive about. As others have said, we should be signing players like this, not selling them. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Can you post some evidence re Smith? Because I asked last time and you disappeared. 

Because unless I've deleted all my Smith posts, it's pretty impossible to rewrite history on here, isn't it?

Instead they're all out in the open.

And in line with your regular ability to make things up and hope they stick, I've not actually defended the Mumba sale, or said if it's a good or bad thing.

But don't let that stop you, it doesn't usually 😅😅

So when I was ranting (yes, I admit it) against Smith, did I imagine you and Hertford coming on here and telling me what a wonderful job he had done at Brentford and praising him for what he had done at Villa and saying that I was talking nonsense? And I must also have imagined how you supported him effusively throughout virtually all of his time here, but then the posts on Smith started to change once the inevitable happened and he got the boot.

You don't like to admit you are ever wrong, Hogesar, and you were on Smith. Wrong big time.

8 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

See above "Only about 10% of Championship transfers are over £1m so that feels in the right sort of area."

Unless we want to buy them 😉

31 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I think when many of us felt down last season, seeing Mumba score against the scum, going on to get promotion and winning his award everyone had hope that he would come into this squad as a positive influence this season.

That's a lot of the negative reaction to his sale, I'm sure of it.

I agree with this. Totally pointless keeping a player we don’t intend to use imo and although it seems very cheap I expect the Add ons may be designed to cover us to a certain extent if he were to go on to big things. Equally, we are clearly moving towards a more data driven moneyball model, which many are keen on as they’ve seen it work at Brentford. If the data says he isn’t what we need then he has to go. The one or two performances and good goals in league 1 could easily flatter to deceive as satisfying as they were to watch in a few seconds of highlights every 4 weeks. I’m not buying the claims of the keyboard warrior doom mongers on here that ‘definitely’ watched all of his games for Plymouth and knows more than all of the NCFC coaching team and its network of scouts and staff. Full of b.s. the lot of them. 
the thought that he might be our saviour is far too tempting for some not to assume he definitely will be. 

Edited by SwearyCanary
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

So when I was ranting (yes, I admit it) against Smith, did I imagine you and Hertford coming on here and telling me what a wonderful job he had done at Brentford and praising him for what he had done at Villa and saying that I was talking nonsense? And I must also have imagined how you supported him effusively throughout virtually all of his time here, but then the posts on Smith started to change once the inevitable happened and he got the boot.

You don't like to admit you are ever wrong, Hogesar, and you were on Smith. Wrong big time.

You didn't imagine any of that. It's all in my posting history. If you're saying my opinion changed on Smith after the international break then yes it did slightly but that has nothing to do with rewriting anything. It's just called a changing opinion..

What you are deciding to continue and lie about is the allegation that I'm somehow rewriting history?

Which you've now done several times and not provided any evidence. In fact, the opposite.

And debating with a proven liar is an absolute waste of time.

Edited by hogesar

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

You didn't imagine any of that. It's all in my posting history.

What you are deciding to continue and lie about is the allegation that I'm somehow rewriting history?

Which you've now done several times and not provided any evidence. In fact, the opposite.

And debating with a proven liar is an absolute waste of time.

Fair enough, put me on ignore. I won't do that to you because I like to see what people are saying. But I won't ever reply to you if you prefer it that way.

1 minute ago, canarybubbles said:

Fair enough, put me on ignore. I won't do that to you because I like to see what people are saying. But I won't ever reply to you if you prefer it that way.

No, I don't need to do that. I've always been able to debate sensibly with you even when we regularly disagree but this consistent notion that I've rewritten history yet consistently refer to my posting history and have never denied any of it is demonstrably untrue and also unfair because that's never been me as a poster.

3 hours ago, S_81 said:

Oh get out of town, he was consistent enough to be a league young player, and club player of the year. 

In league one mate 

22 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

I agree with this. Totally pointless keeping a player we don’t intend to use imo and although it seems very cheap I expect the Add ons may be designed to cover us to a certain extent if he were to go on to big things. Equally, we are clearly moving towards a more data driven moneyball model, which many are keen on as they’ve seen it work at Brentford. If the data says he isn’t what we need then he has to go. The one or two performances and good goals in league 1 could easily flatter to deceive as satisfying as they were to watch in a few seconds of highlights every 4 weeks. I’m not buying the claims of the keyboard warrior doom mongers on here that ‘definitely’ watched all of his games for Plymouth and knows more than all of the NCFC coaching team and its network of scouts and staff. Full of b.s. the lot of them. 
the thought that he might be our saviour is far too tempting for some not to assume he definitely will be. 

By we, do you mean Wagner?

Cos I'd have put money on Mumba's contract lasting longer than Wagner.

And on the off chance that Wagner is successful then we'd hardly miss the pittance we've received.

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

No, I don't need to do that. I've always been able to debate sensibly with you even when we regularly disagree but this consistent notion that I've rewritten history yet consistently refer to my posting history and have never denied any of it is demonstrably untrue and also unfair because that's never been me as a poster.

OK, I will withdraw 'rewriting history'. I certainly have no desire to spend time trawling through our past posts to prove my case. What I seemed to detect, perhaps wrongly, was a change in your posting after Smith was sacked. Where once you had argued very strongly in favour of Smith, you were starting to say that it was right that he left and I felt that you were trying to wipe out your history of supporting him so vociferously. Perhaps this merely meant that you still thought he was a very good manager but that his situation at CR had become untenable but that you personally would still have supported him. If that is your position, I have misread you and I apologise. I don't want to end up spending my time on here having spats with people. 

6 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

In league one mate 

Thank god we never took the League One Grant Holt to Championship, or the Prem.

Edited by CDMullins
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CDMullins said:

Thank god we never took League One Grant Holt to Championship, or Prem.

We were in league one at the time…next? 

6 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

We were in league one at the time…next? 

Wut? Your suggesting no player that plays in League One is good enough to play in the Championship the following season.

Edited by CDMullins

4 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

OK, I will withdraw 'rewriting history'. I certainly have no desire to spend time trawling through our past posts to prove my case. What I seemed to detect, perhaps wrongly, was a change in your posting after Smith was sacked. Where once you had argued very strongly in favour of Smith, you were starting to say that it was right that he left and I felt that you were trying to wipe out your history of supporting him so vociferously. Perhaps this merely meant that you still thought he was a very good manager but that his situation at CR had become untenable but that you personally would still have supported him. If that is your position, I have misread you and I apologise. I don't want to end up spending my time on here having spats with people. 

Yes, without looking back at my old posts I'd only supported the Smith sacking on the basis that the fans had turned. I have said multiple times since and even as recent as his links to Sheff Wed's this summer that I still think he's a decent manager.

The only thing I've really said against Smith is that with Wagner, comparing the best Smith performance vs best Wagner, Wagner was able to get more out of the side.

14 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

By we, do you mean Wagner?

Cos I'd have put money on Mumba's contract lasting longer than Wagner.

And on the off chance that Wagner is successful then we'd hardly miss the pittance we've received.

The person who is employed to pick the team? Yes him. 

Time will tell 

16 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

In league one mate 

Isn't it likely that someone who is Young Player of the Season in L1 is going to be good enough to at least be OK in the Championship? Not necessarily top rank, but decent. Isn't this why PL clubs take a chance on the top players in the Championship, and so on down the pyramid?

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

But the idea is not to develop only players for the first team. It's to develop players for sale too. Bali Mumba is a player we could have kept and developed. 

How ? Out on loan, as he obviously will be behind Stacey. Fisher looks like he could be another Gibbs. Straight into the first team squad.

The club would have been monitoring Mumba while he was at Plymouth. If they thought he was up to it, they would not have signed Stacey, nor perhaps signed Fisher.  It is a good measure of where some on here are coming from. The club have brought in Fisher for what I presume is next to nothing, and a few other promising youngsters. Stacey looks as good as Aarons

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Wut? Your suggesting no player that plays in League One is good enough to play in the Championship the following season.

If you jump to that conclusion then sure, but have you looked up the careers of Paddy Lane and Lewis Johnson? For every Jude Bellingham there are a good handful of layers that peak at league one. Mumba might not be one of them and he might be. Not sure your clairvoyance is reliable, but I’m happy to be proven wrong and eat my words if Mumba stands out this season too. I expect he would be in the radar of bigger clubs than Plymouth if he really stood out as clearly we would accept more than 800k if offered it, especially if it was by a team not in the same division 

3 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Isn't it likely that someone who is Young Player of the Season in L1 is going to be good enough to at least be OK in the Championship? Not necessarily top rank, but decent. Isn't this why PL clubs take a chance on the top players in the Championship, and so on down the pyramid?

As per my reply to CDMullins above 

Just now, canarybubbles said:

Isn't it likely that someone who is Young Player of the Season in L1 is going to be good enough to at least be OK in the Championship

Have we given up on the idea of getting back to the prem league then?