Sign in to follow this  
Hook's-Walk-Canary

Nakamba’s Luton Town Return Hangs in the Balance

He's surplus to requirements at Villa Park and his wage demands (40 grand per week) pose a significant hurdle for Luton -- We pay that for the services of Ben Gibson and we need an outstanding DMC at Championship level which Nakamba has proven to be...

Yay or nay? 

In a heart beat 

one of the main reasons Luton were promoted 

marvellous by name marvellous by nature 

This signing would be skipp-Esque 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

He's surplus to requirements at Villa Park and his wage demands (40 grand per week) pose a significant hurdle for Luton -- We pay that for the services of Ben Gibson and we need an outstanding DMC at Championship level which Nakamba has proven to be...

Yay or nay? 

Also ironic profile picture from you given the team were discussing 

We wont be bringing anyone in on that level of wages. 

Didnt Chris Reeve say we would be max £25k a week. Sure i saw that somewhere 

10 minutes ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

A follower/supporter of both City & Luton, Yobocop.

Likewise having lived and worked in Luton over the last 20 years or so 

• Like 2

Some are suggesting that the club aren't looking to recruit a cdm this season, opting to continue with one of the current midfielders (McLean) dropping between the centre backs in the quarterback role.

Whilst it is a nice way to build up an attack, this tactic is at the core of a few concerns I have around our playing style: a lack of defensive protection, seemingly operating with one man in midfield, poor build up play/chance creation.

We'll see.

• Like 1

I thought we'd ruled out looking for a defensive midfielder and were relying on Sorensen and McLean with Gibbs as back-up?

I can see him staying in the Midlands and going to Leicester.

11 hours ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Yay or nay? 

There’s no way we can afford £40k without promotion the likes of Gibson and anyone near £40k will be gone by next season kick off.

We could loan with a view to buy as we did with Gibson and others but not sure we can find that sort of wage.

12 hours ago, Yellow and Green said:

a lack of defensive protection, seemingly operating with one man in midfield, poor build up play/chance creation.

I'd argue that if the defence were up to the task, then we wouldn't need that "protection" with the midfield pursuing a more creative approach. It would appear that is Wagner's preferred approach, it is now down to Duffy, and I think, Gibson to deliver.

9 hours ago, shefcanary said:

I'd argue that if the defence were up to the task, then we wouldn't need that "protection" with the midfield pursuing a more creative approach. It would appear that is Wagner's preferred approach, it is now down to Duffy, and I think, Gibson to deliver.

Whilst they made a frightening number of individual mistakes last year, it's the same personnel that was barely troubled during the second promotion season.

I don't personally think a cdm would be the be all and end all - there were other factors that caused our demise, including possession, confidence and fitness. 

We'd certainly need one in the PL though.

• Like 1

On 16/07/2023 at 22:32, Yobocop said:

In a heart beat 

one of the main reasons Luton were promoted 

marvellous by name marvellous by nature 

This signing would be skipp-Esque 

He must be half decent.

If he was c*ap it would look a bit awkward on his CV.

• Haha 2

Some outlets down here reporting nakamba to Luton is ‘nearly there’ on a permanent deal 

1 hour ago, Yobocop said:

Now confirmed 

I think Nakamba is the most important signing Luton will make 👍 Rob Edwards reckons ""As a footballer, he was the glue that knitted us together."

He must be taking a considerable pay cut.

On 16/07/2023 at 23:01, Yellow and Green said:

Some are suggesting that the club aren't looking to recruit a cdm this season, opting to continue with one of the current midfielders (McLean) dropping between the centre backs in the quarterback role.

Whilst it is a nice way to build up an attack, this tactic is at the core of a few concerns I have around our playing style: a lack of defensive protection, seemingly operating with one man in midfield, poor build up play/chance creation.

We'll see.

Think I’d prefer Dan Marino or Tom Brady over Kenny McLean as a quarterback 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

I think Nakamba is the most important signing Luton will make 👍 Rob Edwards reckons ""As a footballer, he was the glue that knitted us together."

He must be taking a considerable pay cut.

They need a goalkeeper as can’t see horvath going back 

heard Heaton might be going there