Sign in to follow this  
Worthy Nigelton

European Heatwave

18 hours ago, Virtual reality said:

The conditions would be dry in Greece in late July every year. The fact is we wouldn’t be having this conversation if it wasn’t for the actions of alleged arsonists. Quite astonishing that people are more taken by this aspect than the apparent fact that a very serious crime has taken place. Weird world…

I'm afraid you just don't get it. There will always be arsonists, some people get a strange kick out of setting fires. 

The situation here has been exacerbated by the highest temperatures ever seen. For wild fires to spread very quickly and to become dangerous you need wind and consistent extreme temperatures. 

The fact that the fires were started by arsonists is irrelevant. The simple fact is that this is an extremely rare event for Rhodes. But for some strange reason you choose to ignore all expert opinion which is that it is climatic conditions causing the problem. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm afraid you just don't get it. There will always be arsonists, some people get a strange kick out of setting fires. 

The situation here has been exacerbated by the highest temperatures ever seen. For wild fires to spread very quickly and to become dangerous you need wind and consistent extreme temperatures. 

The fact that the fires were started by arsonists is irrelevant. The simple fact is that this is an extremely rare event for Rhodes. But for some strange reason you choose to ignore all expert opinion which is that it is climatic conditions causing the problem. 

I'll just add that if the surface is a natural fuel then that can also pose problems. We had a huge moorland fire up here in the West Pennine Moors a few years ago that took days to get under control, but most of that moorland is peat, a natural fuel that burns for a long time.

2 hours ago, Virtual reality said:

We are caught between the oven and the fridge.

13 hours ago, ricardo said:

We have 44 yrs of satellite  data and the first 30 of that shows a sharp decline. The last decade and a half doesn't. I have no idea why, do you?

I'm no climate expert but I know full well that there are many climate drivers plus positive and negative feedback mechanisms at play. Sea ice is even more variable. I'm happy to leave that to the global experts who are in large agreement of cause and effect.

Other 'drivers' beyond human activity (including economic cycles - those planes) are volcanic activity (cooling), the natural cycles of the sun, el-nino and its opposite la nina and even forest fires and smoke plus much much more. Runaway methane seeps in Siberia or indeed from the oceans etc.

That's why even these 'hot' episodes I think of more as weather not climate in themselves. Climate is a longer term perspective. We know this year however is likely to become globally the hottest ever (el-nino) effect on top of climate change but there still remains significant variability. As per the original Guardian link I put up, loss of the gulf stream (due to global heating) would cool significantly much of NW Europe (yes we are as far north as Hudson bay) but of course globally the average temperate would rise!

There are obvious implications for (arctic) sea ice with a weakening gulf stream (as it has been - less heat carried north). Feed back mechanism. Leave that to the experts to model.

However - if sea ice in isolation is your thing -

https://www.sciencealert.com/6-4-sigma-event-antarctic-sea-ice-hits-lowest-point-since-official-records-began

Edited by Yellow Fever

2 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

The arsonists have hit Gran Canaria and Nice now. Will this arson ever end? 

Why do you have such a flippant attitude to serious crime? It’s not a great look…

30 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I'm no climate expert but I know full well that there are many climate drivers plus positive and negative feedback mechanisms at play. Sea ice is even more variable. I'm happy to leave that to the global experts who are in large agreement of cause and effect.

Other 'drivers' beyond human activity (including economic cycles - those planes) are volcanic activity (cooling), the natural cycles of the sun, el-nino and its opposite la nina and even forest fires and smoke plus much much more. Runaway methane seeps in Siberia or indeed from the oceans etc.

That's why even these 'hot' episodes I think of more as weather not climate in themselves. Climate is a longer term perspective. We know this year however is likely to become globally the hottest ever (el-nino) effect on top of climate change but there still remains significant variability. As per the original Guardian link I put up, loss of the gulf stream (due to global heating) would cool significantly much of NW Europe (yes we are as far north as Hudson bay) but of course globally the average temperate would rise!

There are obvious implications for (arctic) sea ice with a weakening gulf stream (as it has been - less heat carried north). Feed back mechanism. Leave that to the experts to model.

However - if sea ice in isolation is your thing -

https://www.sciencealert.com/6-4-sigma-event-antarctic-sea-ice-hits-lowest-point-since-official-records-began

Yes, rather strange in the Antarctic where the 2010's average extent was greater than the 1980's. Completely opposite to the Arctic.

1 hour ago, Virtual reality said:

Why do you have such a flippant attitude to serious crime? It’s not a great look…

I don't. Arson is a serious crime and this Pitbull of arsonists needs to get his comeuppance. Where will he strike next?

#MrWorldwideArsonist 

I see people telling us it’s all rubbish as it’s July and colder in the U.K. 

Let me fill in the missing bit of info, the previous 15 months in the U.K. were hotter as an average than the year before, most considerably.

3 hours ago, Well b back said:

I see people telling us it’s all rubbish as it’s July and colder in the U.K. 

Let me fill in the missing bit of info, the previous 15 months in the U.K. were hotter as an average than the year before, most considerably.

Wildfires in Southern Italy and flooding in the North. A denier said to me, after saying what about 1976, that we have been told in the past we were in an ice age. I told him its called Climate Change not Waether same as before.

1 hour ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

He's popped up in California today.

STOP MR ARSONIST, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP!

A whole lotta arson about.

42 minutes ago, Herman said:

A whole lotta arson about.

Incredible amount of arson. This is off the scale in terms of arson. An arson epidemic you might say. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Incredible amount of arson. This is off the scale in terms of arson. An arson epidemic you might say. 

I blame global warming for making more arsonists.

Edited by Yellow Fever
Oh.
  • Haha 2

On 26/07/2023 at 11:22, Worthy Nigelton said:

I don't. Arson is a serious crime and this Pitbull of arsonists needs to get his comeuppance. Where will he strike next?

#MrWorldwideArsonist 

Obviously you know better…I presume you’d let them off their crimes with your flippant attitude 

Official blames arsonists for the majority of 667 blazes that have spread in the extreme weather”

Edited by Virtual reality

2 hours ago, Virtual reality said:

Obviously you know better…I presume you’d let them off their crimes with your flippant attitude 

Official blames arsonists for the majority of 667 blazes that have spread in the extreme weather”

What he said was that he didn't know.

Vassilis Kikilias, the Greek minister of climate crisis and civil protection, told reporters: “During this time 667 fires erupted, that is more than 60 fires a day, almost all over the country. Unfortunately, the majority were ignited by human hand, either by criminal negligence or intent.

On 26/07/2023 at 11:22, Worthy Nigelton said:

#MrWorldwideArsonist 

12 hours ago, Virtual reality said:

No he didn’t, you should learn to read.

17 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Sunak approving 100s of new oil and gas licences in the North Sea. This is terrifying. Its like a Tory death cult.

Yes - I can see the merit of extracting what we can over the next ten or even fifteen years as we move to better fuels - but anything that takes longer than that to develop / come on-stream doesn't really make sense. It's not a thirty year industry.

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

Yes - I can see the merit of extracting what we can over the next ten or even fifteen years as we move to better fuels - but anything that takes longer than that to develop / come on-stream doesn't really make sense. It's not a thirty year industry.

I think in 15 years time decisions like this may end up in court.

Hold on to your hats, things are going to get very bumpy over the next decade or so.

3 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Indeed, couldn’t believe Sunak saying what he said. We have no f****** storage ( or very little ).