Sign in to follow this  
Terminally Yellow

Interview with Dele Alli

Appreciate these things need to come with a trigger warning given the description of abuse Dele Alli describes suffering as a child and the hardships that it has caused him as he has grown into the man he is today. But if you feel able to watch his interview with Gary Neville, I would strongly recommend you do so. It's a powerful interview which really does go into some difficult areas. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

He's just admitted going into treatment for mental health issues he was struggling to overcome and I think there was sleeping pill addiction in there too.

Fair play to him for openly saying "I'm struggling". Here's hoping he gets the help he needs and recovers absolutely.

Fair play to him, hopefully it will encourage other people to come forward & open up, which will in time make them feel better. Hopefully it will also prove to certain members of society that these footballers are only human, no matter how perfect their lives look from the outside, fame & fortune doesn't stop you from suffering, just the same as Joe bloggs. Verbally abusing someone or abusing someone via their ipad isn't ok or acceptable. 

• Like 3

Funny isn't it , Dele Alli the poster boy for " wasted talent" .... actually has real problems. This should be a salutary  lesson to anyone who piles onto a player for underperforming.... we know so little about other people's lives.  

Fair play to him , for getting as far as be has. Wishing him contentment. 

• Like 13

22 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Funny isn't it , Dele Alli the poster boy for " wasted talent" .... actually has real problems. This should be a salutary  lesson to anyone who piles onto a player for underperforming.... we know so little about other people's lives.  

very well said

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I was trying to point this out start of the year to people here labelling Cantwell as the "Norwich Dele", but some people seem too far gone to even emphasise with others.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Google Bot said:

I was trying to point this out start of the year to people here, but some people fail to see it.

Fair enough Boto, i always felt uncomfortable  with the amount of unjustifiable shoite that he (Todd)got on here, it was clear to anyone with half a brain that he was struggling  in some way , yet it was ' all  of his own making' etc etc. Truth is a player should be able to open his IG and not see  pages of abuse, whatever results are  . He may well be bit of a **** but is he really as worthy a target  as he became? I dont think so. 

I'm listening to the Dele interview  now, he's  very impressive in his honesty. .. and GN doing a good job as interviewer..

4 hours ago, Top corner said:

Fair play to him, hopefully it will encourage other people to come forward & open up, which will in time make them feel better. Hopefully it will also prove to certain members of society that these footballers are only human, no matter how perfect their lives look from the outside, fame & fortune doesn't stop you from suffering, just the same as Joe bloggs. Verbally abusing someone or abusing someone via their ipad isn't ok or acceptable. 

Fame in particular and all the things associated is something most famous people struggle with. 

• Like 1

Huge respect to him for doing what he's done. Very brave and will inspire many others to come forward with their own stories. Suddenly his professional downfall makes sense.

• Like 1

Was it Dele, when younger, played for a lesser team and caused us serious issues, and then a few weeks later after moving to spurs, came on against us and turned the game in their favour?  Sure we were winning and he scored an equaliser.

I didn't really know him as a player back then, but do remember listening to Chris Goreham on the radio sounding terrified every time he got the ball, so must've both been away matches.

Sure it was Fulham and they battered us, but I see Dele only played for MK Dons... hmmm :classic_huh:

Edited by Google Bot

Agree with a lot DK. The abuse is just really weird aspect of modern media. It’s not uncommon and I’d suggest been brought about by the trend for tribalism in the media. Generate a ‘them and us’ narrative, watch people jump into a side that are the binary and arbitrary options they’ve been offered and then let it feed snd sustain itself. The media are absolutely to blame and they don’t care, even the BBC is much more complacent about how impartial it actually is, it’s no better than Russian state media, it’s just less blatant. 

That said, there is always a solution and you see thousands of celebs that can nearly disappear if they make the effort not to court the media. Ed Sheeran springs to mind as a global name who has had court cases made against him and all the potential to be mobbed, but he has been advised incredibly well, is very grounded and manages to keep a very low profile when he is not in need of media attention. It can be done. Todd is a good example of how not to if you genuinely want the media to stay away. It isn’t so much that he asks for media intrusion and abuse, it’s more that it’s essentially a guarantee. I’m not victim blaming, the intrusion shouldn’t happen of course, but it always will.