Sign in to follow this  
Graham Paddons Beard

Arctic Monkeys at Glasto- legend in the audience

I've an MES view on festivals, as long as it is a means to an end, then fine, but it gives bands an easy cop out now to just play 10 times a year now, I want bands to really earn their corn! Far too middle class now.

As for Eavis and family, yes it does earn them more than the farm ever would, but he still runs that farm. He has also put money back into the local community through building affordable homes to rent for local young families (i believe over 70 such homes, think what impact that would have in rural Norfolk). That will probably have a longer term benefit on the area than the festival itself. Whatever, it is a national institution now, far better that than Glyndebourne perhaps?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Grant Holts Moustache said:

Obviously not heard the stories of him going out at night and raising the fence with his tractor to let people in for free! He was quoted as saying that he's happy as long as he breaks even. 

However, the local council was going to take away the licence to hold it so had to install the massive fence. As a result they now use Mean Fiddler to put on the festival who will be the ones deciding on costs for vendors. 

I don't think letting people in for free makes any difference if you have sold all your tickets.

1 hour ago, Grant Holts Moustache said:

Obviously not heard the stories of him going out at night and raising the fence with his tractor to let people in for free! He was quoted as saying that he's happy as long as he breaks even. 

However, the local council was going to take away the licence to hold it so had to install the massive fence. As a result they now use Mean Fiddler to put on the festival who will be the ones deciding on costs for vendors. 

I went to the last one before the fence was put up and it was a really horrible experience and not just because of the mud. Mugging, burglary, fights, car break ins etc. I don't think it would exist if they carried on in that way. 

Admittedly I feel it has gone too far the other way, being very sanitised, a bit like modern football in some respects, but it is better than where it was headed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Herman said:

I went to the last one before the fence was put up and it was a really horrible experience and not just because of the mud. Mugging, burglary, fights, car break ins etc. I don't think it would exist if they carried on in that way. 

Admittedly I feel it has gone too far the other way, being very sanitised, a bit like modern football in some respects, but it is better than where it was headed. 

I went that year. It was estimated that there were an extra 100,000 there and it seemed it. You stayed by one stage as it took so long to get anywhere. It just felt so overcrowded. We all came away saying that there's no way we're going there again.

We'd gone in over the fence. Broad daylight, security about who didn't care. Something needed to change. It's about 15 years since I last went and it seems very different now from what I see on TV and people have said. But then all festivals are. Half the bands playing reading this year would've been bottled off when we first started going! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, duke63 said:

Nothing wrong with the Ams perfomance but you might not like it.

Elton though can no longer sing and do the songs he has written the justice they deserve. Sounds like a bad karaoke night.

I didn't watch Elton John, but are you saying I should believe the negative internet reviews of his performance but ignore the myriad negative reviews of the Arctic Monkeys?

That said, I don't need to read the reviews of the latter, I watched them and thought it was dreadful. And it appears I was far from alone in reaching that conclusion.

2 hours ago, Herman said:

That doesn't sound like a fun experience. Have been a couple of times but only after the fence went up. Was never into the main stage stuff and found most fun was to be had in wandering round the smaller stages and discovering new bands.

As a festival it is still very different to any others in the UK which are always separate arenas where you're forced to drink whatever terrible overpriced alcohol is sold and can't even take water or food into it. With Glastonbury,  once you're in you're in and it makes for a much more relaxed experience. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

I didn't watch Elton John, but are you saying I should believe the negative internet reviews of his performance but ignore the myriad negative reviews of the Arctic Monkeys?

That said, I don't need to read the reviews of the latter, I watched them and thought it was dreadful. And it appears I was far from alone in reaching that conclusion.

The negative reviews on the Monkeys were people who didn't like their new songs. fair enough.

the negative reviews on Elton were because he cannot hold a melody anymore. His voice is gone. No shame in that but the shame is in carrying on performing pretending it hasn't.

33 minutes ago, duke63 said:

Next years legends will be 10CC. You heard it here first.

Saw them in Cambridge a few months ago, they'd be great for the Sunday afternoon 

12 hours ago, duke63 said:

The negative reviews on the Monkeys were people who didn't like their new songs. fair enough.

the negative reviews on Elton were because he cannot hold a melody anymore. His voice is gone. No shame in that but the shame is in carrying on performing pretending it hasn't.

Seems as though Elton will call it a day fairly soon in terms of doing live shows. The voice, plus he didn't look comfortable walking.

13 hours ago, duke63 said:

There were also reviews saying Elton's performance was one of the best ever headline acts (NME). Literally no one has said that, or would say that, about Arctic Monkeys' set.

27 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

There were also reviews saying Elton's performance was one of the best ever headline acts (NME). Literally no one has said that, or would say that, about Arctic Monkeys' set.

Anyone who thought that Elton was one of the best ever headline acts isn't a music fan.

34 minutes ago, duke63 said:

Anyone who thought that Elton was one of the best ever headline acts isn't a music fan.

Not sure how you define 'a music fan' but I've been to Glastonbury 17 times with the sole purpose to watch music and write my own music blog reviewing albums, live shows and festivals and it's one of my passions in life so I think I should just about qualify?

and I would definitely say it was 'one' of the best headline acts I've seen there. 

Not saying anywhere near the greatest vocal performance I've seen but definitely one of the best sets. If you were watching on TV then yes probably wasn't the best but I was there and the performance, quality of songs and reaction of the crowd made it one of the best headline acts of the  c50 headline acts I've seen at Glastonbury.

56 minutes ago, duke63 said:

16 minutes ago, rock bus said:

Not sure how you define 'a music fan' but I've been to Glastonbury 17 times with the sole purpose to watch music and write my own music blog reviewing albums, live shows and festivals and it's one of my passions in life so I think I should just about qualify?

and I would definitely say it was 'one' of the best headline acts I've seen there. 

Not saying anywhere near the greatest vocal performance I've seen but definitely one of the best sets. If you were watching on TV then yes probably wasn't the best but I was there and the performance, quality of songs and reaction of the crowd made it one of the best headline acts of the  c50 headline acts I've seen at Glastonbury.

Your music CV is very impressive and ranks alongside another music guy on the forum who I know very well. I know it's all about opinions but your opinions count.

Actually being at an event goes a wholly different aspect to what we see on TV.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Your music CV is very impressive and ranks alongside another music guy on the forum who I know very well. I know it's all about opinions but your opinions count.

Actually being at an event goes a wholly different aspect to what we see on TV.

Yes I think people can forget that the bands are playing for the people in front of them, not the TV viewers. 

Best gig I've ever been to was Arcade Fire at Earls Court. I'd imagine it wouldn't have been all the impressive on TV but in the building it was an incredible experience. There is so much you don't get to feel watching it via TV.

Still doesn’t get round the fact his voice was way off and out of tune in places.