33 minutes ago, king canary said:

I totally agree that with that process for the start of the series before we saw how poorly Bairstow was keeping. It's just pig headed at this point though. 

I guess thats all Foakes

• Haha 3

Interesting to see the gung-ho, no common sense approach to batting is also prevelent in the women's team- far closer than it should have been yesterday! Saying that, wonderful ramp shot by the number 9 out of the blue!

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Interesting to see the gung-ho, no common sense approach to batting is also prevelent in the women's team- far closer than it should have been yesterday! Saying that, wonderful ramp shot by the number 9 out of the blue!

Good to see England draw level with the Aussies. This points format does actually work pretty well, linking the three formats to see who’s the “best” all-round - but it was odd for there to be only one test, and to play it first…perhaps they should have had two an top-and-tailed the series with them.

56 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Good to see England draw level with the Aussies. This points format does actually work pretty well, linking the three formats to see who’s the “best” all-round - but it was odd for there to be only one test, and to play it first…perhaps they should have had two an top-and-tailed the series with them.

Apparently, only three countries want to play Womens Test Cricket. There is less than two Test Matches played each year. Therefore the ICC have no plans to develop or increase it.

James Anderson back to replace Robinson. And it has just been reported that Mo will bat at 3.

This really is an extraordinary Test series! 

34 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Hope I’m wrong, but looking at the forecast, the weather is quite likely to be the main winner this weekend….

As I'm going for the whole test I'm taking a more optimistic view - cloudy and showery should suit our attack and hopefully an Ashes swansong from Jimmy Anderson!

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

As I'm going for the whole test I'm taking a more optimistic view - cloudy and showery should suit our attack and hopefully an Ashes swansong from Jimmy Anderson!

I do obviously hope you’re right!  Showers can be hit and miss - Manchester has a bit of a reputation that if they come in they do tend to stick.

Batting first was an absolute shoo-in, on Sky they're saying it was a good toss to lose. Get the runs on the board, then the Aussies will feel the pressure to stay at the crease all the more. If they're 300-5 or better at the end of today then the series is gone. Just cannot understand that at all.

Bairstow just cannot keep at this point. Two simple takes already down, only a matter of time before he drops an actual catch.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, king canary said:

Bairstow just cannot keep at this point. Two simple takes already down, only a matter of time before he drops an actual catch.

The look on the face of Wood said it all

3 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Always works :classic_laugh:

Nice one Bairstow. 👍 a very good wicket to get 👏. 😉🤣🍺

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

Batting first was an absolute shoo-in, on Sky they're saying it was a good toss to lose. Get the runs on the board, then the Aussies will feel the pressure to stay at the crease all the more. If they're 300-5 or better at the end of today then the series is gone. Just cannot understand that at all.

Can see the argument both ways - I’d have definitely batted and get runs on the board, but with the weather forecast as it is I suppose there may be more chance of forcing something by fielding first (and we know we like to chase).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Agreed. Should always bat first unless conditions are obviously against it. Stats prove batting first wins most games.

One of the compensations of close season. pottering around on this board (with the trolls blocked), whilst listening to TmS in the background. Other than the crickety stuff, the highlight so far for me was the Barmies’ trumpeter getting straight in with the MotD theme while a bowler, I think Woakes, did some keepy-ups after the ball came back to him.

2 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Can see the argument both ways - I’d have definitely batted and get runs on the board, but with the weather forecast as it is I suppose there may be more chance of forcing something by fielding first (and we know we like to chase).

Exactly this. Plus England pefer chasing

Cummins reckons he'd have bowled too, if you take his comments at face value.

14 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Exactly this. Plus England pefer chasing

Cummins reckons he'd have bowled too, if you take his comments at face value.

The whole 'Bazball' style is predicated upon batting quickly to leave as much time as possible to take 20 wickets. I'm very surprised they didn't look to get the runs on the board while the weather is relatively benign, and then let Oz bat under the clouds and possibly with stop-start passages of play with the rain that's coming. We've basically handed them the opportunity to bat their way to the Ashes.

If we'd batted first and got skittled for 200, we'd still have the chance to skittle them for 200 and it's game on. As it stands, the series could be done and dusted by the end of today.

Does anyone else think Umpires are taking the easy way out in this series?  That's 2 LBW decisions that were clearly out but England were forced to appeal 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Does anyone else think Umpires are taking the easy way out in this series?  That's 2 LBW decisions that were clearly out but England were forced to appeal 

Yeah, a little.

1 minute ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I listening, not watching today, but across the series so agree. As with football refs they risk making themselves redundant in large parts of the game - I could hold a bowler's cap, count up to six then say 'over' (but loud enough for players to hear it).

Are you feeling OK Hoggy?  F*** me, my 14 year old dog appealed for the last one. 

Not your usual assertive but informed self! 

Edit aren't you supposed to be at work 🙄

Screenshot_20230719_154749_Chrome.thumb.jpg.102f05bb122739e7ed2d0b85ca67f378.jpg

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Haha 1

Recall watching Freddy Trueman getting his 300th Test wicket (far fewer Tests back then making it a great achievement for a paceman), even by 60s bw tv standards the accompanying graphic was disrespectively naff, like something out of a silent movie era overlaid caption.