What the fluck Duckett! Why! Leave it alone, Pope just got out trying to hook!

What am I missing with that Root wicket? Looked like it clearly touched the ground on the replay but no one seems to think there was any controversy. Is there a rule that it can touch the floor as long as you've got control of it?

Just now, canarydan23 said:

What am I missing with that Root wicket? Looked like it clearly touched the ground on the replay but no one seems to think there was any controversy. Is there a rule that it can touch the floor as long as you've got control of it?

I think so, as long as it stays in the hand I think it can touch the floor as long as you don't lose control of it.

3 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I think so, as long as it stays in the hand I think it can touch the floor as long as you don't lose control of it.

This is incorrect. Any part of the ball touches the grass and it should be not out. You could not definitively say the ball was on the ground; the fingers were under the ball on some replays and the camera lense sometimes plays tricks. Fair enough either way I think. 

Just now, Captain Holt said:

This is incorrect. Any part of the ball touches the grass and it should be not out. You could not definitively say the ball was on the ground; the fingers were under the ball on some replays and the camera lense sometimes plays tricks. Fair enough either way I think. 

I won't argue that as cricket rules are not completely my bag, but if that's the case I then would go back to Dan's point about no one causing a fuss over the decision when the ball very clearly hit the ground.

Dan's right though,  as much as we all love Bazball this is suicidal batting considering the opposition.

That was a strange hour post-tea, three players largely getting themselves out to the same sort of shot in quite quick succession.  Weird - positivity is one thing, stupidity is quite another.  I thought England would be happy with around 250/3 at close, 278/4 isn’t too far off.  

• Like 1

England's day for most of it. Some daft decision making though. Not a bad score to finish the day on so a more positive than after the first day's play.

Pretty much as good a day as could be expected after how yesterday finished. Well in the game now!

A bit disappointing to lose the 3 in quick succession including Root for so few but I don’t think anyone wouldn’t have taken this position after yesterday?

Good to see Stokes playing the situation a bit better too than he has done in recent innings.

What’s the target for tomorrow? Anything over the 416 is a good psychological boost and we should even be looking to clear by at least 20/30 runs? But we’ve got a long tail without Ali and that target could easily become difficult with a couple of wickets lost. Looks like it’s shaping up to be another great game…

Tbh as it went, the tail with Ali wasn’t strengthened hugely in the last test - imo Jacks (or Dawson even) should have been the choice, but it is what it is.  We need to kick on and get as many as possible tomorrow.  Had we ‘won’ the last session we’d have been in the box seat but it was drawn imo so the next session is very important.

Edited by Branston Pickle

The diminutive Duckett looks a decent bet for opener for the foreseeable. Not too sure about Crawley, but he's gradually winning me over. His stroke play suits bazball to the full and he's gaining in confidence. His inclusion for the Ashes was probably one of the most controversial selections of all but it seems to be working quite well despite the fact that he still has those rash, unnecessary moments and virtually gives his wicket away.

Michael Vaughan was very critical of both openers for their rashness stating that once you have the Aussies on the back foot a period of ten or so overs of restraint is more appropriate.

Keep 'em out there. Wear the bowlers out. Then start up again.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Another bloody brilliant days cricket . Well done England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

I think you can only play Bazball one way . You can’t switch it on and off . Can seem bloody infuriating at times maybe , but I really think it gives us best chance of beating the Aussies . I reckon play anything like conventional Test cricket and they’ve just got better players. 
Got Headingley tickets - can’t  wait 🏏 .

12 hours ago, Pockthorpe said:

I think you can only play Bazball one way . You can’t switch it on and off . Can seem bloody infuriating at times maybe , but I really think it gives us best chance of beating the Aussies . I reckon play anything like conventional Test cricket and they’ve just got better players. 

Don’t disagree per se, but with the short ball ploy and 4 fielders on the leg side boundary - and with Aussie one bowler light - the thing to do is wear a few and get their attack tired. Not to take it on when the chances of success are so limited. It’s odd (but good) that Stokes is the one who got it right.

12 hours ago, Pockthorpe said:

Bazball means playing on the front foot but as Vaughn says it doesn't have to mean playing stupidly. 

If you're cricketing philosophy involves walking into the most obvious trap possible when you've got a team on the ropes then you need to rethink. 

Runs seem very hard to come by at the moment, but at least we’re not trying to force the issue like we did yesterday evening, just got to keep chipping away to the target 

2 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Runs seem very hard to come by at the moment, but at least we’re not trying to force the issue like we did yesterday evening, just got to keep chipping away to the target 

Oh FFS sorry everyone 

I‘m sorry, but what on earth was Brook doing? That shot is not one you’d even play in a t20. They are playing such dumb cricket it is utterly ridiculous.

• Like 1

Hmmm - 7 down, you almost feel that’s the Ashes gone in just over an hour of play this morning.  Need something special from here to rescue this test.

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Hmmm - 7 down, you almost feel that’s the Ashes gone in just over an hour of play this morning.  Need something special from here to rescue this test.

Some darkish looking clouds overhead… fingers crossed 🤣

That’s a pretty abysmal showing this morning. You can’t blame the tail, it was the mindless and brainless cricket that got us there and left them exposed.