Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Why now?

Didn't he make the comment recently that he had no idea what was going on in the Attanasio takeover sitiation? I thought that was a strange thing to say as allegedly he'd been closely involved. It all makes sense now. Sounds like he's been squeezed out of the discussions etc and rightly so.

Edited by Capt. Pants

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Meaning? You don't have an answer to your flawed arguments?

You asserted last season last season's recruitment was successful. Then you asserted it was business wise. Well it wasn't. We are still in the EFL. £100M versus maybe making money on Sara and Nunez.

I don’t need to answer my ’flawed’ arguments as they aren’t flawed - they are logical and correct.  It’s my job to do such analysis.

Your argument seems to be that we should have spent a load of money we don’t/didn’t have  - it’s an option but not the way we work.  And shows you don’t understand.

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Didn't he make the comment recently that he had no idea what was going on in the Attanasio takeover sitiation? I thought that was a strange thing to say as allegedly he'd been closely involved. It all makes sense now. Sounds like he's been squeezed out of the discussions etc and rightly so.

Squeezed out but still has ears in the boardroom.Do you imagine that him and his wife live in total silence.He knows

2 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I don’t need to answer my ’flawed’ arguments as they aren’t flawed - they are logical and correct.  It’s my job to do such analysis.

Your argument seems to be that we should have spent a load of money we don’t/didn’t have  - it’s an option but not the way we work.  And shows you don’t understand.

Perhaps your arrogance blurs your analysis.

6 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Given many wanted him to sod off asap, they get what they want but with the buffer - surely far better and more sensible than him leaving ‘now’.  His record in Championship transfer windows has been very good, and he’s here until March or more likely until his replacement comes in.  I really can’t see it as a problem.

If you think he’ll act unprofessionally, how will that look to prospective employers?  

Do you really think he’ll be here until next March?

16 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Do you really think he’ll be here until next March?

Of course not - maybe not much into the season, who knows.  You’d think he’ll now be here until at least August though?  

Edited by Branston Pickle

33 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Perhaps your arrogance blurs your analysis.

Or put another way, you asked a question that I answered (more than once) and you don’t like the answer as it disagrees with you.

Ultimately you’d have spent money last summer that we didn’t have to try to get promotion (in the end, given the quality of the division it might well have worked), I wouldn’t have done as it was too risky, and nor is it the club’s way of working. There’s not a definite right or wrong. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

42 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Of course not - maybe not much into the season, who knows.  You’d think he’ll now be here until at least August though?  

Who knows. Maybe we'll have an outstanding rebuild over the summer, get off to a flying start next season with Webber and Wagner in position and there'll be a change of heart. Knowing that he's leaving anyway kind of takes the wind out of the sails of those who want to perennially campaign to get him sacked.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

I’d be surprised if he’s here come end June. The statement he made on LinkedIn (as reposted by the Pinkun) reads as if he’s out the door momentarily. “Now is the time” to leave being the key bit. 

11 hours ago, Grumpy said:

Squeezed out but still has ears in the boardroom.Do you imagine that him and his wife live in total silence.He knows

Well yes, it's totally unrealistic to think they never talk shop. Stu can't admit to that of course otherwise he puts his Mrs in the lurch.

I think the club, possibly Attanasio, is forcing the issue and timing now, not Webber, as they seek to move forward the restructuring of the club/business.

The most important thing is we continue to strengthen the squad in time for next season. We've made a decent start but much to do.

3 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I think the club, possibly Attanasio, is forcing the issue and timing now, not Webber, as they seek to move forward the restructuring of the club/business.

I hope that's the case, but they've said themselves that they know very little about the game.  Wouldn't surprise me if Stu will be one of the heads identifying a replacement, they have to lean on someone and the relationship seems very amicable still which is good.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Or put another way, you asked a question that I answered (more than once) and you don’t like the answer as it disagrees with you.

Ultimately you’d have spent money last summer that we didn’t have to try to get promotion (in the end, given the quality of the division it might well have worked), I wouldn’t have done as it was too risky, and nor is it the club’s way of working. There’s not a definite right or wrong. 

Its nothing to do with liking or disliking or agreeing. I know you do consider your answers but you contradicted yourself in the original reply.

And back to the main point, if we arte supposed to be running the club like a business and not living beyond our means, then why did Coventry and Luton make the playoffs with a wage bill that combined was not half of ours? 

We are living beyond our means because we have recruited players that are clearly not good enough for the EPL but continue to pay some of them large amounts because of their contracts, in a league that doesn't justify those contratcs?

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Its nothing to do with liking or disliking or agreeing. I know you do consider your answers but you contradicted yourself in the original reply.

And back to the main point, if we arte supposed to be running the club like a business and not living beyond our means, then why did Coventry and Luton make the playoffs with a wage bill that combined was not half of ours? 

We are living beyond our means because we have recruited players that are clearly not good enough for the EPL but continue to pay some of them large amounts because of their contracts, in a league that doesn't justify those contratcs?

Well, we don't know what our wage bill is. We only know what it was in the Premier League. You'd hope most players have significant reductions upon relegation.

49 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Well, we don't know what our wage bill is. We only know what it was in the Premier League. You'd hope most players have significant reductions upon relegation.

Keep hoping Hoggy. We already know from various media interviews with either the players or people at the club that Pukki, Gibson and Krul had contracts with no, or relatively little, salary reductions on relegation. Given they are the three top earners, it would take a lot of other players to have very significant reductions to compensate. That in itself is an unsettling dynamic.

We also know from previous financial statements that the club briefed incorrectly that such contracts existed whixh were never borne put by the numbers. Allowing for promotional bonuses at best a 30% reductions ensued, yet the Directors stated unequivocally that all contracts had a 50% reduction clause. Was that a lie, or mere commercial obfuscation? Remaining silent on the issue would have been better and discussing the future more appropriate.

I have no major issues with the owners but rather concerned that people like you and Nutty perpetuate certain myths about their management of the club that are undeniably challengable. Nothing is black and white. 

51 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Keep hoping Hoggy. We already know from various media interviews with either the players or people at the club that Pukki, Gibson and Krul had contracts with no, or relatively little, salary reductions on relegation. Given they are the three top earners, it would take a lot of other players to have very significant reductions to compensate. That in itself is an unsettling dynamic.

We also know from previous financial statements that the club briefed incorrectly that such contracts existed whixh were never borne put by the numbers. Allowing for promotional bonuses at best a 30% reductions ensued, yet the Directors stated unequivocally that all contracts had a 50% reduction clause. Was that a lie, or mere commercial obfuscation? Remaining silent on the issue would have been better and discussing the future more appropriate.

I have no major issues with the owners but rather concerned that people like you and Nutty perpetuate certain myths about their management of the club that are undeniably challengable. Nothing is black and white. 

I thought we only knew that Pukki had no wage reduction? I can't find anything about the other two, but happy to be proven wrong!

Regarding your last line you'd have to let me know what myths they are that i've perpetuated! 

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

I understand our wage bill was the third highest behind Burnley and Sheffield United. Ours is reputed to have been nigh on £26M. I am not sure which way round it was but either Coventry or Luton's wage bill was under £5M. Smaller squads with lower wages.

Gibson was still being quoted as £41K per week. Contracts have made it very difficult for clubs to reduce wages after relegation.

5 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I understand our wage bill was the third highest behind Burnley and Sheffield United. Ours is reputed to have been nigh on £26M. I am not sure which way round it was but either Coventry or Luton's wage bill was under £5M. Smaller squads with lower wages.

Gibson was still being quoted as £41K per week. Contracts have made it very difficult for clubs to reduce wages after relegation.

I seem to post this regularly, but spend is clearly no guarantee of success, other the league table would simply be a list of clubs in order of their income and subsidy from their owners.

If making a football team successful wasn’t an art rather than a science, how many of us would watch it? How many of us were cheering Luton and/or Coventry on in the playoffs precisely because they are relative minnows? And how many think Citeh’s treble is worth less because of the amount of money thrown at them?

• Like 1

On 13/06/2023 at 17:58, Dean Coneys boots said:

I also wonder if it was about to leak or that he is now ready to jump ship to Leeds. Twitter suggests Attanasio has appointed the successor- but who knows? Lots going on behind the scenes I sense and that doesn’t make for a club all pulling in one direction 

WTF does this even mean? 🤷‍♀️🤷🏻🤷‍♂️

You “sense”? You guess you mean. You have no idea what’s happening.

Of course stuff is going on behind the scenes! Do you expect the club to be immediately live broadcasting Webber’s resignation as it happened? Or the search for a replacement? Our club is more open than most but you are just posting nonsense because you don’t seem able to do anything other than try and make everything that happens a … wait for it… stick to beat the club with.

12 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I seem to post this regularly, but spend is clearly no guarantee of success, other the league table would simply be a list of clubs in order of their income and subsidy from their owners.

If making a football team successful wasn’t an art rather than a science, how many of us would watch it? How many of us were cheering Luton and/or Coventry on in the playoffs precisely because they are relative minnows? And how many think Citeh’s treble is worth less because of the amount of money thrown at them?

I didn't say it was. I was merely responding to the question of the club on a business footing. How many businesses would survive if their overheads were far higher than their competitors but the product was not as good?

43 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I didn't say it was. I was merely responding to the question of the club on a business footing. How many businesses would survive if their overheads were far higher than their competitors but the product was not as good?

Well, absolutely. And my reply wasn’t just aimed at you, but your post was just the latest one on the thread that compared our spending with clubs who achieved more with less.