PurpleCanary

Webber interview with Davitt

6 minutes ago, Mengo said:

Nice one top corner, stuart can't win 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣, what about poor Norwich  City, can't win either . Who's responsibility is that then , don't tell me Wagner is getting sacked now 😀😀😀. He's got a ready replacement , he has neil in place perfect . Or please don't tell me Neil was put into that job just to cover for mountain training. 🤣🤣🤣. What a circus. He's taking the pis§.

I genuinely have no idea what you are talking about. Please explain. 

Just now, Top corner said:

I genuinely have no idea what you are talking about. Please explain. 

He may as well of been speaking mandarin 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

I think people commenting saying he’s passive aggressive need to look at themselves a bit too 

for weeks we’ve read on here that the club are silent and don’t come out and say anything, multiple posts on here asking what they expect Webber to say (Webber bingo anyone?) 

when someone does come out they predictably get criticised for it, 

webber was right, expectation levels have been lifted and that’ll be why people are how they are but god we’ve got some idiots in our ‘fan’ base, the sporting director of this club has just come out and said the players prefer playing away for Christ sake. Surely that tells you everything you need to know? 

I remember a few years ago we lost 1-0 to Stoke but everyone to a man (or woman) stayed behind and applauded the players off the pitch, I don’t think we lost another game at home all season - we need to get that togetherness back again  

If there was a ‘Stuart Webber r1mming contest’ on tonight you’d win it with ease. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

If there was a ‘Stuart Webber r1mming contest’ on tonight you’d win it with ease. 

Ah I wondered what your secret word was lol 

and there it is, anyone showing any level of support to the club or Stuart Webber is clearly in some kind of explicit relationship with them

congratulations on the use of the 1 to make your point mate 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Newsquest are pushing a subscription based offering and need content for the medium/long term. They aren't going to bite the hand that feeds otherwise it will be relying on gibberish from a couple of ex players.

But didn't Paddy say right at the start that there were no questions off the table. He could ask what he liked. And I'm sure he also said that had always been the case when he interviewed Webber.

I thought Paddy did well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yobocop said:

Ah I wondered what your secret word was lol 

and there it is, anyone showing any level of support to the club or Stuart Webber is clearly in some kind of explicit relationship with them

congratulations on the use of the 1 to make your point mate 

You are so welcome, anyone who uses ‘lol’ ain’t that bright. 

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

You are so welcome, anyone who uses ‘lol’ ain’t that bright. 

Whereas someone who uses ‘r1mming’ is a Oxford university graduate ‘lol’ 

Now, can we have a discussion rather than resorting to silly comments? 

• Thanks 1

Lets all rememeber the weeks leading up to this interview with fans in their numbers claiming he wouldn't "dare" speak to local media without vetting questions and if for some crazy reason he did, it'd only be because we would have big news to placate everyone...

If the fans can be comprehensively wrong on both those things,  maybe they're wrong on several more about him?

1 minute ago, Yobocop said:

Good luck.

10 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

I’m not looking at who liked that comment (million per cent) but I’m  narrowing it down to Hoggy or Stuart Webber. Like I said you’ll kiss the status quo line all day long. You’re a club robot, they should pay you. 

6 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

From later on re Attanasio:

“I think one of the attractions of us to Mark was that there are not many football clubs you can find where you don’t have to keep writing cheques. There are not. An attraction for him that it wasn’t just coming in and pouring more money and more money into a black hole. It is a business which is run as well as it can be – loads of mistakes at the minute as we know. But for Mark from the outside he was thinking I can get involved in something here which actually has got the ability to grow and be worth more, as opposed to something where it is going to lose money.”

Webber went on to tick off aspects of the club where an investor would not have to pour in money because that had already happened:

The Community Sports Foundation for community work.

The training ground.

The academy.

But as for Carrow Road “that will need some help at some point.”

Equity gain then.

Parma

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I’m not looking at who liked that comment (million per cent) but I’m  narrowing it down to Hoggy or Stuart Webber. Like I said you’ll kiss the status quo line all day long. You’re a club robot, they should pay you. 

don’t worry I’m sure someone will like your comment too, don’t feel too left out ‘lol’ 

Problem is if we left the club to people like you imagine what sort of place it would be? we would be in the national league south in double quick time, perhaps that is what you want? 

4 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

don’t worry I’m sure someone will like your comment too, don’t feel too left out ‘lol’ 

Problem is if we left the club to people like you imagine what sort of place it would be? we would be in the national league south in double quick time, perhaps that is what you want? 

Magical reply!!! Where do I go from here? Tag Nutty, it really might help you!!!! 

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Magical reply!!! Where do I go from here. 

Well it won't be Carrow Road...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Magical reply!!! Where do I go from here. 

Again how about we play the game of conversation and you answer my question?

What is it you want for this football club?  

Would you be happier if I liked one of your posts? 

16 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Lets all rememeber the weeks leading up to this interview with fans in their numbers claiming he wouldn't "dare" speak to local media without vetting questions and if for some crazy reason he did, it'd only be because we would have big news to placate everyone...

If the fans can be comprehensively wrong on both those things,  maybe they're wrong on several more about him?

Speaking for myself - I was wrong in thinking he’d come with big news to placate fans because it would be the only way to give confidence that things might change if he remained in post. He surprised me for sure, that it was just more empty words. Why on earth will it be different with him remaining in charge? ‘Trust me bro’ doesn’t cut it.  

Seems like I'm in the happy minority who actually feels positive following today's releases.

I would however like more people to Like my posts so I'm not sure whose side I need to be on for that. Are there more Likes in happy-clapping or Webberouting?

• Like 2

Just now, Mason 47 said:

Seems like I'm in the happy minority who actually feels positive following today's releases.

I would however like more people to Like my posts so I'm not sure whose side I need to be on for that. Are there more Likes in happy-clapping or Webberouting?

Certainly Webberouting. But I'm happy to get you started.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Certainly Webberouting. But I'm happy to get you started.

Oh ok. In that case, I just want my club back. Bet we announce a new contract for Placheta, clubs a joke, Webber said he visits Cromer- we don't even know if he buys crab. How can we trust this man? Something something shares + accounts, grr

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mason 47 said:

Oh ok. In that case, I just want my club back. Bet we announce a new contract for Placheta, clubs a joke, Webber said he visits Cromer- we don't even know if he buys crab. How can we trust this man? Something something shares + accounts, grr

Now listen 'ere...

My parents were divorced. There wasn't a snakepit back then but if there had been I'm sure they'd have been in it. Won't someone please think of the children...

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Now listen 'ere...

My parents were divorced. There wasn't a snakepit back then but if there had been I'm sure they'd have been in it. Won't someone please think of the children...

Get on the stench trench thread. 

11 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Congrats, you're now a contender for poster of the year in the eyes of many 😉 

• Like 1

Watched the Davitt interview. My thoughts.

1. As always, Webber came across well at some points, not so well at others - and like an absolute spanner in others. The work he has done to improve the infrastructure around this club, open the club up to new markets and ensure new practices and ideas are embraced at the club shouldn't go unrecognised. If he left tomorrow, Webber should go down as someone who has been transformational in Norwich City history. For absolute transparency - if I were in charge I would have let him go at the end of last season. 

2. Trying to compare the racist abuse suffered to Darren Moore to the abuse he receives at Carrow Road is wrong. Being abused in the manner he has is wrong, but I don't think he helps by trying to draw parallels between racism and what he has suffered. The comment he made about the "media feeding that" I also think is out of line. Absolutely, there are aspects of the media who do feed that - but I think to lump them all in as a whole is wrong. 

3. The excuses he makes throughout as to how the season has panned out do make me cringe massively. To congratulate the squad as to having created the expectation around the club that makes this season a disaster is not a good look to me. Repeatedly saying "we were in the running until the end" and I think he says "we missed out by six points" as if that was actually not all that bad - again made me do a little swear. Suffering he injuries we did was catastrophic of course, but doesn't excuse how bad we played in the last seven or eight games. But he does say repeatedly that the form isn't acceptable and even accepts the fans wanting him gone given what they had been served. 

4. Another thing that got my goat a little was the line he offered when asked about accountability and suggested that when he was gone and the media are refused an interview with the new guy as he "doesn't do interviews" we might look at Webber's tenure and think "at least the old fella used to stand up and be accountable". Ehh? Irrespective of the good work I've given Webber credit for above, his tenure will be remembered as the regime that minimised, whinged, complained and made excuses in your interviews with the press! That isn't accountability, Stuart - that's covering your ****. 

5. I also find myself doubting him when he talks about the lessons learnt - he said similar at the end of last season and continues to make mistakes. No one expects a club like Norwich to have four first team ready centre backs, Stuart. But we do expect the club to have learnt to get adequate cover about for each of the last three seasons we've had to play a defensive midfielder or full back in CB. 

5. That's my criticism generally over. I was impressed with certain responses. I agree with the points he made generally about abuse and his differentiation between criticism. I agree with his assertion of society seemingly agreeing abuse is acceptable in certain circumstances and not in others and the need to call that out. 

6. I thought his comments about Carrow Road needing a "bit of help" at some point were interesting. I do wonder whether we may see another effort to attract investment in the near future to undertake that work. I don't think he would bring it up if it wasn't something the club weren't effectively looking at. I look at what the Milwaukee Brewers are doing in an effort to improve their stadium and wonder whether stadium improvement is something the Attanasios might be pushing. 

7. I am surprised we turned down an offer of that magnitude for Andy O. I appreciate his candidness regarding Aarons - it's clear he and Andy O will be likely on the move this summer, along with Rashica. I do wonder whether the comments made about Sara are very deliberate and carefully construed to deter nothing except exceptional bids. 

8. The comments about bringing in another two or three experienced signings are interesting too. Do think we will do more in the domestic market this time around and this is seemingly confirming it. I also hope it's part of a wider range of signings. We'll see, of course. 

9. I also thought a line about needing more help if they get back to the Premier League says it all about the take over. I suspect if we are promoted, Delia and co will step aside for the Attanasios. I suspect until then, things may very well stay as they are. 

Now going to listen to Radio Norfolk. Looking forward to the divorcee line! 😆

Edited by Terminally Yellow

24 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

1. As always, Webber came across well at some points, not so well at others - and like an absolute spanner in others. The work he has done to improve the infrastructure around this club, open the club up to new markets and ensure new practices and ideas are embraced at the club shouldn't go unrecognised. If he left tomorrow, Webber should go down as someone who has been transformational in Norwich City history. For absolute transparency - if I were in charge I would have let him go at the end of last season. 

2. Trying to compare the racist abuse suffered to Darren Moore to the abuse he receives at Carrow Road is wrong. Being abused in the manner he has is wrong, but I don't think he helps by trying to draw parallels between racism and what he has suffered. The comment he made about the "media feeding that" I also think is out of line. Absolutely, there are aspects of the media who do feed that - but I think to lump them all in as a whole is wrong. 

3. The excuses he makes throughout as to how the season has panned out do make me cringe massively. To congratulate the squad as to having created the expectation around the club that makes this season a disaster is not a good look to me. Repeatedly saying "we were in the running until the end" and I think he says "we missed out by six points" as if that was actually not all that bad - again made me do a little swear. Suffering he injuries we did was catastrophic of course, but doesn't excuse how bad we played in the last seven or eight games. But he does say repeatedly that the form isn't acceptable and even accepts the fans wanting him gone given what they had been served. 

4. Another thing that got my goat a little was the line he offered when asked about accountability and suggested that when he was gone and the media are refused an interview with the new guy as he "doesn't do interviews" we might look at Webber's tenure and think "at least the old fella used to stand up and be accountable". Ehh? Irrespective of the good work I've given Webber credit for above, his tenure will be remembered as the regime that minimised, whinged, complained and made excuses in your interviews with the press! That isn't accountability, Stuart - that's covering your ****. 

5. I also find myself doubting him when he talks about the lessons learnt - he said similar at the end of last season and continues to make mistakes. No one expects a club like Norwich to have four first team ready centre backs, Stuart. But we do expect the club to have learnt to get adequate cover about for each of the last three seasons we've had to play a defensive midfielder or full back in CB. 

5. That's my criticism generally over. I was impressed with certain responses. I agree with the points he made generally about abuse and his differentiation between criticism. I agree with his assertion of society seemingly agreeing abuse is acceptable in certain circumstances and not in others and the need to call that out. 

6. I thought his comments about Carrow Road needing a "bit of help" at some point were interesting. I do wonder whether we may see another effort to attract investment in the near future to undertake that work. I don't think he would bring it up if it wasn't something the club weren't effectively looking at. I look at what the Milwaukee Brewers are doing in an effort to improve their stadium and wonder whether stadium improvement is something they might be pushing. 

7. I am surprised we turned down an offer of that magnitude for Andy O. I appreciate his candidness regarding Aarons - it's clear he and Andy O will be likely on the move this summer, along with Rashica. I do wonder whether the comments made about Sara are very deliberate and carefully construed to deter nothing except exceptional bids. 

8. The comments about bringing in another two or three experienced signings are interesting too. Do think we will do more in the domestic market this time around and this is seemingly confirming it. I also hope it's part of a wider range of signings. We'll see, of course. 

9. I also thought a line about needing more help if they get back to the Premier League says it all about the take over. I suspect if we are promoted, Delia and co will step aside for the Attanasios. I suspect until then, things may very well stay as they are. 

That’s very fair. Re the comment about Carrow Road needing a bit of help, he seemed to be talking not just about improving and/or expanding the stadium but also making more use of it, to bring in extra revenue. Which has always seemed a likely benefit of being able to learn from the American sporting experience.

I don’t think it is too surprising that we turned down an offer of a bit over £20m (which may have included quite a few add-ons) for Omobamidele in January. We weren’t overpopulated with central defenders even then, leaving aside later on having two injured in the same match.

January is not the sanest time to spend money, and having money rather than a player might not have done us much good.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

6. I thought his comments about Carrow Road needing a "bit of help" at some point were interesting. I do wonder whether we may see another effort to attract investment in the near future to undertake that work. I don't think he would bring it up if it wasn't something the club weren't effectively looking at. I look at what the Milwaukee Brewers are doing in an effort to improve their stadium and wonder whether stadium improvement is something the Attanasios might be pushing. 

That’s a pretty good summary of some of the issues IMO.

There were a lot of good things about that interview, I just find it frustrating he can’t (well won’t I think) keep his worse tendencies in check.

It’s not like anyone’s baiting him, Paddy just let him talk and he can’t help himself.

I know it must be frustrating for him right now, I get he probably feels massively unappreciated and overly criticised, but he just came across petulantly in places.

Genuinely just feel it’s a shame, there’s some really good stuff there, he’s not exactly uninteresting to listen to either. It’s just so wildly all over the place.

Oh! And also thought the comments about attraction youth prospects from abroad is interesting. Wonder what happened to that Brazilian defender that was due to come here?

11 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I don’t think it is too surprising that we turned down an offer of a bit over £20m (which may have included quite a few add-ons) for Omobamidele in January. We weren’t overpopulated with central defenders even then, leaving aside later on having two injured in the same match.

I also think there are intangibles at play with that one. Selling one of the rising stars in January would have come across as a massive white flag, and trampled the fledgling shoots of the fans back cautiously getting back onside during early Wagner. Any chance we had of making it work this season would have instantly been wrecked.

As ever it also forces the question, could we equal or better AO in January with the money that came in? Not in any way that makes financial sense IMO. It's not like his value is going to drop massively at this age.

The Radio Norfolk interview is I think more revealing about the future. It might be just me, but there does sound a greater respect from Webber towards Chris Goreham, in particular, than maybe the Pink Un lads and definitely Michael Bailey (as per Webber's small pop at him in the Pink Un interview).

Interesting is the comments about what he thinks we need most urgently. Talks about needing "bigger chances" and to stop the unforced errors. If you had to just fix one or two issues from this season, those would probably be among the main candidates. Speaks about that needing work with full back positioning or mentality. I would guess that we could see the greatest of our changes take place in defence - after all, under Wagner's system we see the full backs as integral to creating chances as it is to defending.

Agree with needing work done, early. 80% before the pre-season tour, he says. That's encouraging.

Also agree with his comments about needing Carrow Road to be a more friendly place for the team. Concerning that some players would rather play away. Changing that starts with how you play - you don't have to win, but Carrow Road will support you if you field a team that works hard, shows effort and entertains. It could also benefit from greater engagement with fans groups again. The AlongComeNorwich boys should be positively begged to return to help out on a more regular basis again (especially if it means less drum - not a fan).

I also think the points made around Webber and his wife and how they work together are helpful to have out there. Webber might dismiss fans concerns about this as people who are "beyond help" and an insult to others at the club, but to know that there are written practices which ensure that the board will discuss issues about each of them not in front of the other I think is useful to know. I was a bit surprised this wasn't tackled in the Pink Un interview, but then I guess that might be given how well it was covered by Radio Norfolk.

I was also interested to hear about the Attanasios and the gradual processes that has seen them bring success to the Brewers, and how that might be applied at Norwich too. There was a bit more detail to this which I hadn't heard before.

The Radio Norfolk interview also answered one of the points above, as Webber confirmed the need to make signings of younger, more youthful players to develop alongside the experience and wise heads. Interesting to hear the practical examples including Tettey spending time with Ben Godfrey to help encourage him to control his emotions better.

Some stuff in there which again, disagreed with massively. When asked if he felt lucky to be still in the job, I felt saying "but look at these two trophys and wonderful facilities we now have" was not the best answer (he should have exercised a little humility and used it as a point to apologise for the poor performances, IMO).

But the whole interview was undermined significantly by one stupid, off the cuff remark about divorcees. Stuff like that undermines the rest of what was a very good, very effective interview. If he'd have just said "I wouldn't let a few fans in the snake pit determine my career for me" - fair enough, mate. Now - fail again and you'll quickly see that comment used as a stick to beat him with. It's like Dean Smith blaming the fans. I STILL see comments on twitter having a go at Dean Smith for blaming the fans. Not to mention the chants at games.

Edited by Terminally Yellow