keelansgrandad

Best Rock/Blues Guitar Solo

What is your favourite rock/blues guitar solo of all time? Is it one of the popular ones like Freebird or Comfortably Numb? Or is it more obscure and less mainstream?

My favourite rock guitarist was the late Terry Kath, who Hendrix said was the best.

Just one example of the way he could make me happy

• Like 1

I have to confess I've never heard of Terry Kath. He sounds pretty good. Will check him out. As for my own list I've narrowed it down to about 10. It depends on my mood at the time wether I want the sheer virtuoso playing of Jeff beck,  the repeated one note soloing of Neil, or a weird percussive,  effects laded effort of Tom Morello!

I now have a. Excuse to listen to loads of guitar solos tonight!

At this exact moment it's this. More of an epic guitar intro than a solo bit I'm sure that still counts!

Edited by The Raptor
  • Like 1

Nice one KG.

It probably has to be Zappa on a Grand Funk Railroad album. Starts about 1.03 in and goes on for a minute. Some incredible playing from 1.30 - the notes seem impossibly discordant when you listen to what is a very straightforward rock song. Apparently, done in one take. Zappa helped out when producing them and Farner felt Out To Get You was a bit empty in the middle. Zappa said he thought he could help and just produced this!

Apart from that I love the emotionality of Mr Triscuits and the solo in The Utopia Theme (towards the end at about 10.30minutes) from Rundgren. Like the brief solo in Freedom Fighters (only 10 seconds of it at about 2.50 below). The latter is just a lovely uplifting song start to finish and for me, an anthem for idealists anywhere.

You'll have me thinking about this all night now. Verlaine could supplement so many of his songs with something unusual and creative. 

10 odd minutes of top guitaring. (I've started it at the start of the large guitar solos/duos.)

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Nice one KG.

It probably has to be Zappa on a Grand Funk Railroad album. Starts about 1.03 in and goes on for a minute. Some incredible playing from 1.30 - the notes seem impossibly discordant when you listen to what is a very straightforward rock song. Apparently, done in one take. Zappa helped out when producing them and Farner felt Out To Get You was a bit empty in the middle. Zappa said he thought he could help and just produced this!

Apart from that I love the emotionality of Mr Triscuits and the solo in The Utopia Theme (towards the end at about 10.30minutes) from Rundgren. Like the brief solo in Freedom Fighters (only 10 seconds of it at about 2.50 below). The latter is just a lovely uplifting song start to finish and for me, an anthem for idealists anywhere.

You'll have me thinking about this all night now. Verlaine could supplement so many of his songs with something unusual and creative. 

Todd is my favourite solo artist and a virtuoso guitarist.

12 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Guitar solos? Oh please just kill me now…

Harpsichord solo?

30 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Guitar solos? Oh please just kill me now…

And don’t ever think of mentioning drum solos…

Don’t particularly love or hate rock music but rock guitar solos don’t do anything for me.

Punk rock is another matter though-the guitar solos in No More Heroes and Something Better Change for example are great, without seeming self-indulgent. 

• Like 3

My claim to fame is that i saw Joe Bonamassa play in BB Kings bar in Memphis, many years ago.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ricardo said:

My claim to fame is that i saw Joe Bonamassa play in BB Kings bar in Memphis, many years ago.

I'm sure he toured the UK with Beth Hart last year.

It was a completely  impromptu thing KG. I think it was 2001 just after 911, we went on a fly drive hol to Mempis and New Orleans. We did the Graceland stuff and went in BB Kings bar in Beale Street, where there was just some local band playing. There was a lot of cheering and a guy got up to play guitar and my mate Deryck said "fcuk me, thats Joe Bonamassa". Apparently he was tight with BBKing and had just turned up to see him. He played a couple of numbers and it was magic and completely unexpected. Sometimes you just get lucky.

• Like 1

Peter Green - "Oh Well"

Mark Knopfler - "Sultans of Swing"

Keith Richard - 'Gimme Shelter'

Listening to "Gimme Shelter" again last night, I was amazed at how relevant the lyrics are to 2023, perhaps even more than when they wrote it in 1969 in response to hell on earth in Vietnam - "War, children, it's just a shot away, it's just a shot away". It also contains references to climate change, eg. "Ooh, a storm is threatening/My very life today".  Richard's guitar work is as dark as it gets. 

An anthem for now.  Superb.

And btw it's on the Stones' "Let It Bleed" album with Delia's cake on the cover!

Edited by benchwarmer
  • Like 1

On 23/03/2023 at 22:21, Herman said:

Harpsichord solo?

The conductor Sir Thomas Beecham once said that the harpsichord reminded him of "two skeletons copulating on a tin roof".☺️

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ricardo said:

It was a completely  impromptu thing KG. I think it was 2001 just after 911, we went on a fly drive hol to Mempis and New Orleans. We did the Graceland stuff and went in BB Kings bar in Beale Street, where there was just some local band playing. There was a lot of cheering and a guy got up to play guitar and my mate Deryck said "fcuk me, thats Joe Bonamassa". Apparently he was tight with BBKing and had just turned up to see him. He played a couple of numbers and it was magic and completely unexpected. Sometimes you just get lucky.

Our local only gets Roger Dee and his Karaoke. Roger Clemo used to play but he got done for drink driving. Neither aretight with BB King and will never have heard of Joe.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, benchwarmer said:

The conductor Sir Thomas Beecham once said that the harpsichord reminded him of "two skeletons copulating on a tin roof".☺️

A piece was on radio 3 yesterday morning and I can say that he isn't a million miles away from his assessment.😉

• Haha 1

Guitar?

Willie Nelson on Trigger (his old, battered and hole filled guitar,) "Loving Her Was Easier" with the American Outlaws at the Nassau Coliseum.

Waylong and Chris admired it in any case.

Drums?

Duane Eddy? 😉😄😊

(Not really!)

Edited by BroadstairsR