Sign in to follow this  
Bert

If Idah is the answer

8 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

I suspect he may, pretty soon. Wagner's position is difficult - he simultaneously needs to aim for the play.offs/promotion while also looking at the players he has and how he might best use them next season if we don't go up. Normally a lot of this evaluation would take place in the close season but he hasn't had that luxury. So he seems to have played almost everyone to see what they can do. I doubt that he has been impressed by Idah so far.

Equally he’s not got much to choose from. A disinterested Pukki, a player just coming back from injury in Sargent and Idah. That’s your frontline. The contract extension of 5 years is odd, but then we could sell him on for a decent profit should he find some kind of form. Currently he’s running on the success of Preston in the cup and that small run of form in the Prem when Smith got a tune out of him briefly. 

11 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

I suspect he may, pretty soon. Wagner's position is difficult - he simultaneously needs to aim for the play.offs/promotion while also looking at the players he has and how he might best use them next season if we don't go up. Normally a lot of this evaluation would take place in the close season but he hasn't had that luxury. So he seems to have played almost everyone to see what they can do. I doubt that he has been impressed by Idah so far.

I can't offer anything in response to that; sadly, I don't have the necessary mind-reading skills.

On 12/03/2023 at 17:49, TIL 1010 said:

Idah sadly is still dining out on that hattrick he scored against Preston in the cup and he has not progressed since that day.

If I remember correctly their supporters were blaming their goalkeeper for two of the goals. I think a fair many of us have seen young players com through from the youth set up I remember Chris Sutton, Dale Gordon, Darren Eadie, Jamal Lewis, The Murphy's and Craig Bellamy we have also brought in players like Godfrey and Maddison and polished them up. All of those players looked to have something  about them from the start unfortunately I can't say the same for Idah. Strikers apparantely thrive on instinct but loook how many times Idah starts a run and then stops. The award of a long contract just beggars belief unless they are getting him cheap. I sincerely hope Idah proves me wrong and I would be pleasantly suprised.

Think we owe him games at CF rather than shifting him out wide all the time . Def needs to produce more consistency though

25 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I can't offer anything in response to that; sadly, I don't have the necessary mind-reading skills.

Nor the game watching skills either. You were sat at home posting on the Lineker/MOTD thread yesterday.

24 minutes ago, ridgeman said:

If I remember correctly their supporters were blaming their goalkeeper for two of the goals. I think a fair many of us have seen young players com through from the youth set up I remember Chris Sutton, Dale Gordon, Darren Eadie, Jamal Lewis, The Murphy's and Craig Bellamy we have also brought in players like Godfrey and Maddison and polished them up. All of those players looked to have something  about them from the start unfortunately I can't say the same for Idah. Strikers apparantely thrive on instinct but loook how many times Idah starts a run and then stops. The award of a long contract just beggars belief unless they are getting him cheap. I sincerely hope Idah proves me wrong and I would be pleasantly suprised.

4 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

Nor the game watching skills either. You were sat at home posting on the Lineker/MOTD thread yesterday.

Strictly speaking i was sat elsewhere completely missing the game, but regardless, there are plenty of posters on here far more informed than me that completely contradict your assessment.

I specifically watched him for 10-15 mins on Sunday,(something I tend to do,different players).His movement off the ball was poor as was his ability to get hold of the ball and hold it up.For someone who I guess is about 6'1" and 14 st he was knocked off the ball to easily and dumped on his backside complaining. Have said for a long while i'll be very surprised if he progresses here. A loan move to League 1 beckons next season.

8 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Strictly speaking i was sat elsewhere completely missing the game, but regardless, there are plenty of posters on here far more informed than me that completely contradict your assessment.

So your posts are based on not watching the game. And at best here are one or two. Who actually affirm what everyone else states. At no point do they claim Idah is good. Just that at some time he might become good.  So even this you cannot get right. I suggest you return to the non football board.

8 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

So your posts are based on not watching the game. And at best here are one or two. Who actually affirm what everyone else states. At no point do they claim Idah is good. Just that at some time he might become good.  So even this you cannot get right. I suggest you return to the non football board.

No, my judgement of a player would never be based on one game anyway. Actually most of my judgements of players tend to be influenced by the opinions of people whose judgement and insight I think is worthwhile like Ricardo, Parma, King Canary, Michael Bailey, Paddy Davitt, peppered with a little bit of my own rather ill-equipped assessment... and not you. 🙂

Incidentally, you may note that I've made no reference at all to yesterday's game concerning performances in any posts anywhere on account of not having seen it.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 1

I sort of understood a tactical reason to play him at Millwall but I just don't get why he had to play out wide yesterday?

We brought in Marquinhos and retrieved Tzolis so I'm not sure why we have square pegs in round holes at such a vital time of the season.

Some on here won't be happy until Idah is moved on and if Pukki leaves as well that's 2 strikers we need to find for next season. It's a bit of a mess really if you accept our buying power isn't what it was.

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

I sort of understood a tactical reason to play him at Millwall but I just don't get why he had to play out wide yesterday?

We brought in Marquinhos and retrieved Tzolis so I'm not sure why we have square pegs in round holes at such a vital time of the season.

Some on here won't be happy until Idah is moved on and if Pukki leaves as well that's 2 strikers we need to find for next season. It's a bit of a mess really if you accept our buying power isn't what it was.

I watched Marquinhos closely, it was like he had the plague, constantly ignored, I think he touched the ball twice

12 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I assume this little snippet is meant to be sarcasm. Believe it or not, I was well aware that I was speculating. Linguistic clues such as may, might, seems, doubt would send that message to someone who had the necessary mind.