Sign in to follow this  
KiwiScot

Got Your ID To Allow You To Vote

2 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

Not much new now the report is out. Warnings to increase variety of accepted IDs, assist councils in hiring election staff and for raising awareness. General feel from the reporting that the system has hindered more and reduced turn out. Again for me a pointless excercise.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/sep/14/photo-id-voters-uk-cards-expansion-electoral-commisison-report

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66788130

'Feelings' and 'concerns ' are a fast cry from evidence that the result was upset.

Now it has arrived, while it may be tweaked, it won't be going anywhere; people had better get used to it.

5 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

'Feelings' and 'concerns ' are a fast cry from evidence that the result was upset.

Now it has arrived, while it may be tweaked, it won't be going anywhere; people had better get used to it.

Well they were my feelings and concerns from reading the evidence presented which was pretty much it was the cause of people from voting. Which reads as cost and voting impedied for no good reason, but it is is true it won't be removed. Simply because the harm has been done and why waste more time reversing it.

Edited by KiwiScot

9 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

Well they were my feelings and concerns from reading the evidence presented which was pretty much it was the cause of people from voting. Which reads as cost and voting impedied for no good reason, but it is is true it won't be removed. Simply because the harm has been done and why waste more time reversing it.

I just think the arguments are somewhat specious. The existence of the free voter ID scheme ensures that everyone who's entitled to vote can vote with only a small amount of effort on their part. As an overseas voter, I had to continually renew my registration with Norwich city council, and make sure I'd get forms every single time. I really don't have much sympathy with people who find it too hard to do a little bit of paperwork to vote.

One thing I do think worthy of more consideration is why only 25,000 of the 90,000 free voter authority certificates applied for finished up being actually used to vote; it seems odd for so many people to apply to then not use it.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

A certain Mr B Johnson got turned away from voting this morning for not having photo ID with him...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jhubs said:

A certain Mr B Johnson got turned away from voting this morning for not having photo ID with him...

Probably thought these rules didn't apply to him, like many others.

• Like 1

Notwithstanding Boris Johnson, I’ve no time for anyone who continues to insist that people shouldn’t have to prove their identity in order to verify their entitlement to vote.

Another hurdle for the kids so they just don’t bother, which I guess 1 party will be happy with.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Notwithstanding Boris Johnson, I’ve no time for anyone who continues to insist that people shouldn’t have to prove their identity in order to verify their entitlement to vote.

It is truly mystifying why people think turning up to vote without proving who you say you are wouldn't be a problem. It must all be people who don't see the need for passwords on internet accounts.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

But where does this nanny state stuff stop? ID's for buying cigarettes or vapes was raised. Then alcohol, then sugary drinks, all things that are bad for you, like voting Tory will be policed by the do-gooders.

My grandfather didn't fight the nazi's for the rest of you to give the country away to the blob.

25 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

But where does this nanny state stuff stop? ID's for buying cigarettes or vapes was raised. Then alcohol, then sugary drinks, all things that are bad for you, like voting Tory will be policed by the do-gooders.

My grandfather didn't fight the nazi's for the rest of you to give the country away to the blob.

Always had to prove your age to buy cigarettes and alcohol, although I’m not aware of any restrictions on buying sugary drinks.  Proving your identity in order to vote seems eminently sensible to me.  Did your grandfather fight the Nazi’s?  And which blob are you concerned we’re giving the country away to?  

1 hour ago, Naturalcynic said:

Always had to prove your age to buy cigarettes and alcohol, although I’m not aware of any restrictions on buying sugary drinks.  Proving your identity in order to vote seems eminently sensible to me.  Did your grandfather fight the Nazi’s?  And which blob are you concerned we’re giving the country away to?  

I suspect the post was intended as "humour"

2 hours ago, Well b back said:

Another hurdle for the kids so they just don’t bother, which I guess 1 party will be happy with.

I spent the 3 years up until I was 18 desperately trying to get ID. I dont suppose it will really hold back those that want to vote 

1 hour ago, Barbe bleu said:

I spent the 3 years up until I was 18 desperately trying to get ID. I dont suppose it will really hold back those that want to vote 

Most 18 year olds will have at least a provisional drivers licence or passport. It’s a non issue. It will be the oldies still on paper licences who will be less likely to have anything with their picture on it 

5 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Reports suggests thousands were turned away and didn’t come back.

Many of them veterans, the RWNJ's have failed them again & there's no sense of shame.

31 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Reports suggests thousands were turned away and didn’t come back.

I'm not seeing these reports, do you have links?. BBC reporting that the head of the electoral commission was happy.  

Seems the the only issue raised was with military veterans not being happy their veterans card was not accepted.   That's highly likely to be symbolic complaint though as these people are almost certain to have a passport and/or driving licence, even if they have expired (it's a bit difficult to be in the armed forces and not be able to travel...). 

17 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

Personally I don't think it should be an issue but I also then think it is incumbent on the government putting these laws in place to create some form of free photo ID card that would be accepted for voting to make sure access isn't limited by budget.