Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Wagner vists and helps out the local community

That title " plays table tennis with the locals" seems really disrespectful to me.

He was playing table tennis with people at Duncans Club at the Nest who have Demantia.

One of the men he played with called Michael hadn't spoken for over a year until he started going to this club at the Nest, then all of a sudden he started to join in the singing.

Duncans club is already making so much difference to these people, a great programme by the Csf who we at ncfsc are proud to support.

• Like 11

"David Wagner already getting involved in the community" would be a better title.

I don't think Cambridge has been intentionally provocative here though.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

"David Wagner already getting involved in the community" would be a better title.

I don't think Cambridge has been intentionally provocative here though.

Maybe I over reacted a bit but Im very protective of our CSF and their programmes and just thought the title was a little insensitive. 

Thanks for changing the title

• Like 2

Tbh he's made more effort to engage with the fans and the community in his short tenure than Dean Smith ever did.

8 hours ago, graz said:

Tbh he's made more effort to engage with the fans and the community in his short tenure than Dean Smith ever did.

It's an interesting point this. 

It is clear that the club are conducting a full on charm offensive with Wagner to try and reconnect with the fans (something I applaud even if it is a bit contrived). It does raise the question why they seemed to make no attempt to do this with Smith. Following a hugely popular manager like Farke was always going to be difficult (even most who agreed with the sacking still liked the guy which is quite unusual in football). The club would surely have realised this but there seemed to be no attempt to address it - is this because Smith wasnt willing or the club just didnt bother?

The result was certainly that I never thought Smith was particularly attached to the club or felt any affinity with the club or the fans. The fact that the football was rubbish and he didnt appear to have a clue what he was doing didnt help either, but it would have been nice if he had at least pretended he cared about the club and fans!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, rock bus said:

It's an interesting point this. 

It is clear that the club are conducting a full on charm offensive with Wagner to try and reconnect with the fans (something I applaud even if it is a bit contrived). It does raise the question why they seemed to make no attempt to do this with Smith. Following a hugely popular manager like Farke was always going to be difficult (even most who agreed with the sacking still liked the guy which is quite unusual in football). The club would surely have realised this but there seemed to be no attempt to address it - is this because Smith wasnt willing or the club just didnt bother?

The result was certainly that I never thought Smith was particularly attached to the club or felt any affinity with the club or the fans. The fact that the football was rubbish and he didnt appear to have a clue what he was doing didnt help either, but it would have been nice if he had at least pretended he cared about the club and fans!

My guess (and it's pure guesswork) is that too many of the employees now at the club see PR as a top-down function focused on advertising and announcements and social media and websites rather than direct human contact. But even in an internet age, face-to-face meeting is vital, especially since we are not consumers in the sense that people buying a chocolate bar or a can of soda are consumers, and it sounds from his comments in his interview that Webber has come to realise this.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

My guess (and it's pure guesswork) is that too many of the employees now at the club see PR as a top-down function focused on advertising and announcements and social media and websites rather than direct human contact. But even in an internet age, face-to-face meeting is vital, especially since we are not consumers in the sense that people buying a chocolate bar or a can of soda are consumers, and it sounds from his comments in his interview that Webber has come to realise this.

You are right on my page 'bubs! I've been arguing the nuts and bolts of customer relations needs sorting first. All these glossy youtube pieces smacks of money being spent in the wrong place. Much better sorting out customer facing areas first than videos that probably connect with either people not going to the Carra, or just fellow media people from other clubs. Even the videos they have produced always seem to be built in with faux pas that get them into more problems. The video that had Webber showing Wagner around Colney was an minor own goal for instance, it did nothing but accentuate Webber's disconnect, much better to have Adams do that as he has a better personality. 

Simple email contact with pictures and small stories of events using mailchimp is all that is required now until the ticket office is working fluently, match day experience is back to where it was before the pandemic, etc. Direct connection with the fans, make them feel highly valued, not just a small part of a bigger ecology. Even discounted tickets to young people when they know a game is not going to sell out to capture the next generation is money better allocated in my view. Once they are back to guaranteed full attendance at the Carra' they can then start focussing on more glossy incremental video work.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Diane said:

Maybe I over reacted a bit but Im very protective of our CSF and their programmes and just thought the title was a little insensitive. 

Thanks for changing the title

CC was a bit more sensitive than this response to the original tweet:

Edited by Mr Angry

6 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

That's a bit unfair. Smith & Shakespeare gave their time to the NCFSC.

https://www.ncfsc.co.uk/smith-shakey-fans-forum/

Thats very true and also Dean Smith  went to both the Nest and Carrow Park to meet people and learn about all the various programmes. Plenty of pictures still on the ncfc website

Edited by Diane
  • Like 2