Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Will Pukki hit 100 goals with us before leaving?

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

After all he only needs 12 more.. But his contract will soon be up. Do we think he can hit triple figures with us before the end? 

Don't know the answer but I certainly hope so! His second goal yesterday was classic Teemu, out muscled the defender, turned him then slots home, superb.

Obviously I can't prove this, but almost from Day One I got the impression Pukki hated working under Smith (chase that high ball, you Munchkin). I hope Wagner can at least enthuse Teemu enough to stop him signing a pre-agreement with another club. Then, if we get into and win the play-offs, maybe he will sign a new contract.

It is hard to overestimate the damage Smith has done to this club.

Edited by canarybubbles

41 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Obviously I can't prove this, but almost from Day One I got the impression Pukki hated working under Smith (chase that high ball, you Munchkin). I hope Wagner can at least enthuse Teemu enough to stop him signing a pre-agreement with another club. Then, if we get into and win the play-offs, maybe he will sign a new contract.

It is hard to overestimate the damage Smith has done to this club.

Part of me feels that if we get promoted Pukki will stay but if we don't he will leave us. Just get this feeling.. 

8 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Part of me feels that if we get promoted Pukki will stay but if we don't he will leave us. Just get this feeling.. 

If we get promoted I think we'll need a younger option in the Premiership, so he'll probably leave either way. 😭

If Wagner can (and I suspect he will) return to a style of play that gives Pukki chances to run at the keeper akin to under Farke, he might change his mind about staying. It certainly sounds like he was thinking of leaving at the end of his deal, but if the good times return then things could change. I certainly don’t think it’s impossible for him to score 12 more this season, but it is a big ask given our form under Smith. More performances like Saturday and I think he could be close

He's nearly 33, but still looks up for it and doesn't seem to have lost his speed and you don't lose the body strength that he has, so he has a good year or two in him, whichever division he plays in. I'd hope he looks at it and thinks he'd like to stay for another two years, especially if we are promoted to the PL.

An alternative would be to look at a PL club that would give him a chance to get a good pay day, but would probably mean he would be a third choice striker....or maybe a big club abroad, or maybe in Finland.  A lot depends on how his family like living in Norfolk and it could be that the overall package of staying would be the most attractive of all the options.  I hope so!

I think the only reason he would sign a new contract would be if we go up. Most likely, the only way we go up is by being brilliant for the rest of the season which would probably mean Teemu scoring a fair few goals.

So, if we get promoted, yes. If not I think he'll stop just short.