Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Nathan Redmond on a free?

Out of contract in the summer and 'only' on £25k a week in Turkey. We could agree a pre-contract this month for him to join on a bosman.

Now, I know that is actually a huge wage for our looming post-parachute payment world future... but that's with no transfer fee.

... but he'd be an absolute quality signing for this level and I'm sure there is room for a marquee signing among the various cheap punts from Germany that we'll inevitably be taking this summer, considering we'll be shedding our two highest earners off the pay roll in Pukki and Krul? Been desperate for a decent winger and some genuine pace out wide for f*ck knows how long now. 

He's only 28 so got a good four years left you should think?

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Haha 1

What id like to know is why he's available on a free at 28? Decent player but inconsistent had a few niggling injuries , not sure if  it's either a good or bad idea.  

I always like him as a player - "It's a Wembley Wonder from Nathan Redmond!!"

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

What id like to know is why he's available on a free at 28?

He only signed a one year deal in Turkey. 

No idea whether he has a new one on the table, looks like has a few assists this season but no goals. 

Can't believe he's only 28. Another player who did too much too young and got burned out. I doubt he's good enough to engage in a gegenpress to be honest.

At this level he would be excellent, so a yes for me.  If we could swap Onel for Nathan in the squad that would be great.

Edited by Newtopia

I do wonder if he has lost that vital aspect of his play with Norwich - namely pace. I noted a couple of times towards the end of his time at Soton last season that Hassenhutl brought him on in a no.10 role rather than a winger, definitely with a view to him orchestrating their attack. Unfortunately for both it didn't really suit Redmond, and in very short order he was off to Besiktas where a yard or two of lost pace is probably not as big a disadvantage. 

My biggest concern though is as @The Raptor said on the Canos thread, why are we always looking to ex-players to come back? You should never go back to a former lover is the analogy here, it just won't work.

Edited by shefcanary

13 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

I do wonder if he has lost that vital aspect of his play with Norwich - namely pace. I noted a couple of times towards the end of his time at Soton last season that Hassenhutl brought him on in a no.10 role rather than a winger, definitely with a view to him orchestrating their attack. Unfortunately for both it didn't really suit Redmond, and in very short order he was off to Besiktas where a yard or two of lost pace is probably not as big a disadvantage. 

My biggest concern though is as @The Raptor said on the Canos thread, why are we always looking to ex-players to come back? You should never go back to a former lover is the analogy here, it just won't work.

Never go back . I'm sure Wagner will have a few new names on his list . Just  a matter of sharing that info with Webber, then take it from there. Trust in Wagner.