Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Are we all happy tonight?

1 hour ago, PockthorpePete said:

I was offered the part of Snow White in our village panto. I'm not sure if others see me the same way I do. Still, that's all behind me now.

Mae West: 'I used to be Snow White but I drifted.'

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I think it's because so many are not happy.

Now I'm not convinced that is football related. I think the anticipated reset after Covid didn't happen. Actually it happened in reverse and folk are even more divided about everything. I think that's manifested itself into football.

There's some great football threads on here though. If they're what posters really want.

I think the fact that the main degeneration of this thread has been about human rights rather than opinions about Dean Smith suggests that the football is heading the right way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I think the fact that the main degeneration of this thread has been about human rights rather than opinions about Dean Smith suggests that the football is heading the right way.

I don't think Brexit's been mentioned yet.

Oops....

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I think it's because so many are not happy.

Now I'm not convinced that is football related. I think the anticipated reset after Covid didn't happen. Actually it happened in reverse and folk are even more divided about everything. I think that's manifested itself into football.

There's some great football threads on here though. If they're what posters really want.

Who knows. I'm going to make assumptions about anyone's life outside of this forum. But I can't honestly remember a manager getting the kind of reaction Smith has gotten so far- ie getting solid results on the pitch but being talked about as if he's some kind of horrific blight on the club. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

Who knows. I'm going to make assumptions about anyone's life outside of this forum. But I can't honestly remember a manager getting the kind of reaction Smith has gotten so far- ie getting solid results on the pitch but being talked about as if he's some kind of horrific blight on the club. 

Hughton ?

1 minute ago, It's Character Forming said:

Hughton ?

Not comparable in my view- during that 10 game unbeaten run the fans were fully behind him, it was when results started to turn that fans did.

Smith was getting pelters even in our 7 wins in a row streak. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

Not comparable in my view- during that 10 game unbeaten run the fans were fully behind him, it was when results started to turn that fans did.

Smith was getting pelters even in our 7 wins in a row streak. 

I think the "one-after-Farke" was always going to have a little bit of a problem but I also thought after such a horrific start to a Prem season for the second time running it wouldn't be as bad. I guess we didn't see any consistent progress last season and that's left a sour taste for some.

But the most bizarre things i've seen even since the win against Rotherham is posts like "We should have demolished them" (we didn't in Farke's previous 2 games against them) and "I want Dean Smith sacked because I want my club back". 

I have no idea how you quantify DS = no club to get behind.

I think home fans have been poor this season but those away from home have been superb and really backed the team.

• Like 1

I wonder how many people complaining about the change of wording to "player of the match" would criticise others as being "snowflakes"?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I think the "one-after-Farke" was always going to have a little bit of a problem but I also thought after such a horrific start to a Prem season for the second time running it wouldn't be as bad. I guess we didn't see any consistent progress last season and that's left a sour taste for some.

But the most bizarre things i've seen even since the win against Rotherham is posts like "We should have demolished them" (we didn't in Farke's previous 2 games against them) and "I want Dean Smith sacked because I want my club back". 

I have no idea how you quantify DS = no club to get behind.

I think home fans have been poor this season but those away from home have been superb and really backed the team.

There has certainly been a lot of revisionism around Farke's time here. I'm constantly confused when I see people saying 'under Farke you knew we'd always have a go and not give up' despite him winning zero points from losing positions in the Premier League, taking us on a run of 11 straight losses and saying in interviews that we didn't have a chance of beating certain teams. 

Don't get me wrong he was a great manager but the airbrushing is quite interesting to watch play out.

• Like 1

I agree it was always going to be hard to follow Farke in a similar way that it was hard for Hughton to follow Lambert, and there has been plenty of revisionism and seeing Farke through yellow/green tinted specs (with Lambert we're now viewing him with blue-tinted specs so he's gone the opposite way from Messiah to anti-Christ 😂).

For DS my big concern is that he's been in place for a year now and we're still not seeing consistent progress, I'm resigned to this season probably being about the playoffs which is a 25% shot.  With the parachute payments, the clock is ticking.  We were fortunate when Farke took over that the sale of Maddison basically bankrolled an extra season to rebuild in the Champs.  I can't see anyone in the squad this time around who could give that for us.

Looking back at Hughton, my take is that there was an initial period of success featuring the 10-game unbeaten run, but people gradually became disenchanted with the style of play, which itself became more and more negative.  The nadir I remember was an utterly dire game at Reading when neither side wanted to take any risks and so there were hardly any chances created at either end.  There were plenty of fans who were aware that a style of play where even at 2-0 down you are still playing defensively was not going to work out, it only bought us one more season in the Prem, and I think the fans were losing faith even when we were above the relegation zone.

It's similar with DS I think.  This season we've yet to produce a truly convincing performance.  OK to say we "should" be blowing away teams like Rotherham is clearly a nonsense, but that doesn't get away from the fact that with the squad we have, we "should" be blowing away teams some of the time in this division.  And we're not.  Under DS we have bright spells in games, normally 20 mins or so, and that's about it.  Sometimes that's enough to win games, especially against the weaker teams in the division, but sometimes it's not.  And that's not enough to get you into the auto promotion places, which has to be our target this season.

PS I really hope DS proves me wrong.  I had hoped we'd be changing coach before or during the WC break for a more considered appointment than DS who was clearly a panic measure.  If we don't, I really hope DS does get the team to gel together and competing for the top two spots.  We shall see.

24 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

They were never in the Happy Mondays! And I imagine those that were do not call themselves Canary Fans.

Step on Pops! 

Citeh fans I reckon...

I don’t think the majority of Farkeophiles (I am one), are revisionists. Most of us knew and accepted that he didn’t win all games comfortably and by demolishing everyone in our path, he like Smith struggled against the other ‘top’ teams even when we got promoted. The thing that Farke has or was is not necessarily as tangible as the stats and the points, it’s the man and his ability to connect. A huge part of why I loved him as our manager was to do with his incredible football when we were in full flow and it all clicked, it was to do with the last minute winners and exciting games where we let in a bundle too, it was the bringing through of some fantastic talent and getting some players singing, it was ALL of these things but it was more. The feel of Carrow road, once his system started to yield results and then throughout his tenure - even for me until the very end - was one of relative togetherness. Of course in the prem there was a souring of relations from some, but his balance in the bank for many was still in the black. Brentford felt like a pivotal moment, I think many on here felt it and were like me desperate to see him have the next run of winnable games with a team that knew how to win again. We were robbed of it. 
The man wasn’t going get us to Europe, but he was incredibly special and the cold light of day and hindsight show that the special feeling he brought to the club has gone. 
I’ll still support us week in and out, but I’m allowed to always see Farke’s departure as a massive error that I want to regularly point out I had no part in and would reverse in a heartbeat. Just like Brexit 😉

Edited by SwearyCanary
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

I don’t think the majority of Farkeophiles (I am one), are revisionists. Most of us knew and accepted that he didn’t win all games comfortably and by demolishing everyone in our path, he like Smith struggled against the other ‘top’ teams even when we got promoted. The thing that Farke has or was is not necessarily as tangible as the stats and the points, it’s the man and his ability to connect. A huge part of why I loved him as our manager was to do with his incredible football when we were in full flow and it all clicked, it was to do with the last minute winners and exciting games where we let in a bundle too, it was the bringing through of some fantastic talent and getting some players singing, it was ALL of these things but it was more. The feel of Carrow road, once his system started to yield results and then throughout his tenure - even for me until the very end - was one of relative togetherness. Of course in the prem there was a souring of relations from some, but his balance in the bank for many was still in the black. Brentford felt like a pivotal moment, I think many on here felt it and were like me desperate to see him have the next run of winnable games with a team that knew how to win again. We were robbed of it. 
The man wasn’t going get us to Europe, but he was incredibly special and the cold light of day and hindsight show that the special feeling he brought to the club has gone. 
I’ll still support us week in and out, but I’m allowed to always see Farke’s departure as a massive error that I want to regularly point out I had no part in and would reverse in a heartbeat. Just like Brexit 😉

I might have been the biggest Farkeophile on here and had said I'd be more than happy to let him have the whole second season in the Premier as I did think given time he might have been able to build an epoch in the same manner as Volker Finke did at SC Freiburg (and that involved a couple of grim relegations!).

However, the issue I have is that a fair few of us appear more willing to cast Smith under the bus simply as he's not Farke and there's a real halo effect (or after the Lord Mayor's Show) going on. And if anything, I'd suggest consistency of treatment should be a starting point. Smith came just before the January transfer window and knew there was nothing going in that window. In other words, this window just gone is his first chance to start tinkering with newer personnel and to freshen the squad up to his liking. I was happy to give Farke plenty of time in his first year-and-a-half and we eventually got those two Championship wins.

Smith's just had his first window, and the two major signings are slowly getting back to full fitness/getting accustomed to English football. But if I was willing to give Farke a season-and-a-half to start with, then for the sake of consistency I think - as much as I was sad to see Farke go - I should grant Smith the same.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 3

Tonight being Tuesday, Almost every game went in our favour with a couple of extraordinary results. Meaning it is not just us. There are a dozen or so recently ex PL clubs below us. Some unlikely to mount a promotion challenge never mind see a return to the PL.. We  are not a big club, nor have any right to be in the PL. We have consistently over achieved, which has led to some thinking otherwise.  I expect some of the old timers have seen the club in a far far worse position than ever we are now. For others not so long in the tooth then the days of Peter Grant, Bryan Gunn should make some on here stop moaning and count your blessings instead.And I'm the Happy, third from the front = Hi Ho it's off the bed I go

21 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

I might have been the biggest Farkeophile on here and had said I'd be more than happy to let him have the whole second season in the Premier as I did think given time he might have been able to build an epoch in the same manner as Volker Finke did at SC Freiburg (and that involved a couple of grim relegations!).

However, the issue I have is that a fair few of us appear more willing to cast Smith under the bus simply as he's not Farke and there's a real halo effect (or after the Lord Mayor's Show) going on. And if anything, I'd suggest consistency of treatment should be a starting point. Smith came just before the January transfer window and knew there was nothing going in that window. In other words, this window just gone is his first chance to start tinkering with newer personnel and to freshen the squad up to his liking. I was happy to give Farke plenty of time in his first year-and-a-half and we eventually got those two Championship wins.

Smith's just had his first window, and the two major signings are slowly getting back to full fitness/getting accustomed to English football. But if I was willing to give Farke a season-and-a-half to start with, then for the sake of consistency I think - as much as I was sad to see Farke go - I should grant Smith the same.

I’m not so generous, but definitely respect some of those that are more patient than me. I’d say though that those wanting him out are justified by what we have seen in the last year, it’s a long time in football as they say! 

19 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

I’m not so generous, but definitely respect some of those that are more patient than me. I’d say though that those wanting him out are justified by what we have seen in the last year, it’s a long time in football as they say! 

I dont personally think having us 4th or similar in the championship going into a break justifies wanting him sacked. We have no entitlement to the top 2 and promotion is incredibly hard. That we managed it twice consecutively goes against the norm rather than with it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I dont personally think having us 4th or similar in the championship going into a break justifies wanting him sacked. We have no entitlement to the top 2 and promotion is incredibly hard. That we managed it twice consecutively goes against the norm rather than with it.

Exactly - and Smith's pretty much having to do it without our cheat code in that Buendia - Pukki partnership. Does anyone have stats for our points hauls under Farke in the Championship without Buendia compared to with him?

24 minutes ago, hogesar said:

League position matters, I get that. Connection with the club matters more. I would love if Smith gave me that feeling of connection. I’d even tolerate the 70 minutes of not great football and get behind the good 20 if he just have a little more. Not his fault but Farke did both. A rare breed indeed 

Just now, SwearyCanary said:

League position matters, I get that. Connection with the club matters more. I would love if Smith gave me that feeling of connection.

I felt like this, but i'm starting to soften on him now.  I feel that the press conference ahead of the Stoke match was a real backs against the wall moment and he showed quite a bit of bite.  In fact, I really liked that version of Smith and probably the first time I've felt on board and connected with the man.

Have you not felt any improvement towards him?

14 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I felt like this, but i'm starting to soften on him now.  I feel that the press conference ahead of the Stoke match was a real backs against the wall moment and he showed quite a bit of bite.  In fact, I really liked that version of Smith and probably the first time I've felt on board and connected with the man.

Have you not felt any improvement towards him?

Maybe a fraction, but I also think this may just be down to two slightly better performances with brightish spells of nice football. I’m worried because these are the best scraps we’ve had in a few weeks that I’m just grateful rather than thawing 😂