NeymarSmith

Next ncfc manager options, from a non DS happy clapper

So, cards on table. Hated sacking farke despite the form shown at the time, and the awful way it was done. Want him back, ain't gunna happen. 

Ds, well I wanted it work, thought he'd get best of Todd but this hasn't happened at time of writing . Like the idea shakey is there. Football though, shown regularly and seen regularly is poor. Can't say I'm totally impressed with the recruitment, but thankful of Webber's overall input. 

I'd choose for DS to be removed tonight. So clearly I'm not his fan boy. Trouble is, I'm struggling to think who I want as a replacement, who can do better (at moment prehaps that's a big ask and unfair on Ds given where we sit on table) but the performance, pride and enjoy from watching us play, entertainment factor and plaudits up and down, is lacking and for that reason I want him gone. Therefore who do I want?

Who do I want who would not be a big risk and one who is entertaining and bring results. Literally the ex hudds man Carlos C I'd take, but I do think it's a big risk and that may be unaffordable rn.

Any thoughts guys? Open table 

• Like 1

I'm not a fan either and I can't figure him out to be honest. But to talk of a new manager in this position is not on. I seriously believe if we lost three or four on the trot though, he would be in trouble.

10 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

So, cards on table. Hated sacking farke despite the form shown at the time, and the awful way it was done. Want him back, ain't gunna happen. 

Any thoughts guys? Open table 

You can shuffle the cards as many times as you like but theres only ever four aces in the pack.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 1

1) Knutson for me but I think that's maybe a long shot.

Unsure he would be interested or we have missed the window.

2) McKenna. Yup I've gone there, doing wonders with the scum. Young, up for it, passionate fits the mould. Think we could tempt him in all honesty.

3) Martin. Not pulling trees up yes but he knows the club, understands the club, for me he would have been a good gamble or transition manager would he get us up? Not sure but I would rather be sitting play offs with him than promotion with Smith.

Like the op, farke is gone but Smith has been underwhelming. 

There is also the stone cold knowledge that it he takes us up he is not the man to keep us up.

If I was Webber I would like up a replacement and then pull the trigger on Smith.

I've given a couple of names but I want a young passionate manager who wants to prove himself.

That's why Smith shocked me, Lambert, wee baldy and farke fit our mould.

Nice guy Chris and deano do not.

Edited by Nexus_Canary

48 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

1) Knutson for me but I think that's maybe a long shot.

Unsure he would be interested or we have missed the window.

2) McKenna. Yup I've gone there, doing wonders with the scum. Young, up for it, passionate fits the mould. Think we could tempt him in all honesty.

3) Martin. Not pulling trees up yes but he knows the club, understands the club, for me he would have been a good gamble or transition manager would he get us up? Not sure but I would rather be sitting play offs with him than promotion with Smith.

As a complete hypothetical, you'll do well to find better than those options, but Smith isn't going anywhere for the time being and rightly so. Whilst results are still good, you can't justify sacking him.

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

As a complete hypothetical, you'll do well to find better than those options, but Smith isn't going anywhere for the time being and rightly so. Whilst results are still good, you can't justify sacking him.

Yeh fair point , I want Smith gone now but it would be unfair to fire him based on league performance.

Interesting to me that none of the above mentioned has any Premier League experience. Obviously there are many cases where managers have succeeded without that, it isn't a rule, but I think in our unique situation it's very necessary. 

We're sat with 'most' of a PL club IMO and it's hard to argue against us having been pretty much the 20th best playing side in the country for the past 3 years. I don't think another exciting, idealistic appointment is likely to help us bridge that gap.

• Like 1

So we went 9 games unbeaten, sat 2nd in the league on 2 points per game then these threads are the result of one loss.

What will happen if we lose next week too?

• Like 2

I'm not one of these revisionists who try and make out that Russell Martin was crap for us, he wasn't. He was brilliant, managed well over 100 EPL games for us.

However, he's done nowhere near enough for a job like Norwich. If he'd never played for us not a single person would consider him. I'd love to see him manage here one day, but he'd need some notable success on his CV first.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

So we went 9 games unbeaten, sat 2nd in the league on 2 points per game then these threads are the result of one loss.

What will happen if we lose next week too?

They're not the result of one loss. Have you not been reading many threads lately? Don't try and make out that those questioning Smith are doing so purely on the back of the Preston defeat because that's patent nonsense.

• Like 2

Just now, canarydan23 said:

They're not the result of one loss. Have you not been reading many threads lately? Don't try and make out that those questioning Smith are doing so purely on the back of the Preston defeat because that's patent nonsense.

These threads are the result of one loss.

I've read the previous threads. This escalation is because of one loss. 

To suggest different is patent nonsense.

• Like 2

Just now, nutty nigel said:

These threads are the result of one loss.

I've read the previous threads. This escalation is because of one loss. 

To suggest different is patent nonsense.

Absolute garbage. And you know it is too, so I've no idea why you're pretending you don't. In recent weeks there has been all sorts of discussions on Smith replacements. As well as the three mentioned here Mark Robins and Paul Warne have been discussed too. Maybe the people talking about it knew the abject Preston defeat was coming? Seems a waste to use clairvoyance in that manner. 

4 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Absolute garbage. And you know it is too, so I've no idea why you're pretending you don't. In recent weeks there has been all sorts of discussions on Smith replacements. As well as the three mentioned here Mark Robins and Paul Warne have been discussed too. Maybe the people talking about it knew the abject Preston defeat was coming? Seems a waste to use clairvoyance in that manner. 

Ok Dan

Just show me after which other game so many Smith threads were started and I'll gladly say I'm wrong.

I'm not talking about general discussion on other threads.

30 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Interesting to me that none of the above mentioned has any Premier League experience. Obviously there are many cases where managers have succeeded without that, it isn't a rule, but I think in our unique situation it's very necessary. 

We're sat with 'most' of a PL club IMO and it's hard to argue against us having been pretty much the 20th best playing side in the country for the past 3 years. I don't think another exciting, idealistic appointment is likely to help us bridge that gap.

Trouble with getting an out of work manager with epl experience is that they are

a) managing in a top league elsewhere and cost waaaaay more than we can afford and will not want to come to us unless it’s for a win win payday as a mercenary 

b) not currently in the epl as they are failed at that level, I’d rather have someone with little epl experience than someone with loads that has failed there multiple times 

c) someone old enough to have had some success in the epl maybe alongside a bit of failure but too old to really be anything other than a stop tsp and probably dinosaur philosophy football. 

It’s basically a no win situation 

Edited by SwearyCanary

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

You can shuffle the cards as many times as you like but theres only ever four aces in the pack.

And the aces are already in the hands of the top clubs. 

24 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Possibly, but presumably our goal is to get established in the EPL and the only teams who've gone up and managed that in the past decade are;

Crystal Palace, Brighton, Wolves, Leeds, Villa and Brentford.

Only Palace (Holloway) and Brighton (Hughton) had Premier League experience. And whilst the former was quickly binned off for another EPL experienced coach, the latter was replaced by Potter.

2 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Possibly, but presumably our goal is to get established in the EPL and the only teams who've gone up and managed that in the past decade are;

Only Palace (Holloway) and Brighton (Hughton) had Premier League experience. And whilst the former was quickly binned off for another EPL experienced coach, the latter was replaced by Potter.

Our present manager is in your list Dan...

• Like 1

What about if the club doesn't have a manager, and instead players are directed to play according to randomly selected comments from the Pinkun forum? 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

I agree with this and also Swearys reply about the realities of trying to attract such a manager. The subtext was very much acknowledging the tricky position we currently are to hire for. 

It isn't a rousing endorsement by any means- but our current manager has experience of playing 'effective enough' football in the PL, and his assistant coach has vast and well-respected experience at that level too. If they are what it takes to add 'effective enough' aspects to us, and we can finally stave off relegation, the options available to us open up drastically.

It does rely on promotion fairly sharpish though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Our present manager is in your list Dan...

I know, by virtue of guiding Villa to a position one lower than the season before, and 17 points behind us, despite having only been 3 points behind when he replaced Bruce.

Brentford are there on the list too. They wouldn't be if Villa hadn't poached a certain someone. 

Edited by canarydan23

Just now, littleyellowbirdie said:

What about if the club doesn't have a manager, and instead players are directed to play according to randomly selected comments from Pinkun forum? 

This would be a start...

https://phys.org/news/2016-05-football-fans-smartphone-vote-substitute.html

But obviously whilst watching from home and ignoring the data 🙃

Kenny would never get 90 mins 😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

I know, by virtue of guiding Villa to a position one lower than the season before, and 17 points behind, despite having only been 3 points behind when he replaced Bruce.

Brentford are there too. They wouldn't if Villa hadn't poached a certain someone. 

There's a lot of assumption there Dan

4 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

What about if the club doesn't have a manager, and instead players are directed to play according to randomly selected comments from the Pinkun forum? 

We could all take it in turns to pick the team and formations. We’d get relegated for sure but the entrainment would be priceless. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

I agree with this and also Swearys reply about the realities of trying to attract such a manager. The subtext was very much acknowledging the tricky position we currently are to hire for. 

It isn't a rousing endorsement by any means- but our current manager has experience of playing 'effective enough' football in the PL, and his assistant coach has vast and well-respected experience at that level too. If they are what it takes to add 'effective enough' aspects to us, and we can finally stave off relegation, the options available to us open up drastically.

It does rely on promotion fairly sharpish though.

I also think that the fact we're not trigger happy regarding firing coaches makes us a more attractive draw to coaches than we otherwise would be. 

There is some assumption, but certainly not a lot.

I get it Dan. I haven't taken to Smith. I took to Farke straight away and was sorry when he was sacked. 

If you think about your favourite manager and the one you liked least the next one will most likely be somewhere between those two. That's the gamble you take. Smith is second in the league with the players playing for him so it's quite a gamble.

Just now, nutty nigel said:

I get it Dan. I haven't taken to Smith. I took to Farke straight away and was sorry when he was sacked. 

If you think about your favourite manager and the one you liked least the next one will most likely be somewhere between those two. That's the gamble you take. Smith is second in the league with the players playing for him so it's quite a gamble.

I think Smith has very wisely decided to keep his head down and not really engage with the fans any more than he has to until things are looking sufficiently better that the mood has lifted. His job is to manage and get results; there's really no point wasting energy trying to win over people who don't want to be won over. 

• Like 2