ricardo

Ricardo's Report v Coventry

We got a lift to the ground today and despite setting out early we only just made it for kick off. To be honest the bike is much quicker and more convenient and I hope to be back in the saddle soon in hopefully cooler conditions, for it was very warm again in this extended Norfolk summer.

I was glad to see Cantwell restored to the starting line up as I feel he really needs the minutes to come through this lean spell and he didn't disappoint,  getting involved in everything from an early stage. City dominated possession in the opening exchanges but we were at five minutes before the first meaningful threat emerged down the Coventry left. Some neat play ended with a ball pulled behind Pukki before it was scrambled clear.  Then some more enterprising play in the Coventry area ended with a Ramsey snap shot a yard or so wide. City were persistant though and Pukki was almost through before Cantwell followed up with low shot straight at the Coventry keeper.

It was all looking very promising and the hoped for, early goal duly arrived just before the quarter hour when the lively Nunez snapped into a tackle thirty five yards out and quickly stroked a defence splitting pass through to Pukki on the edge of the Coventry box. Pukki did what Pukki does best and held off a defender before sliding the ball past the advancing keeper for one nil. It was one to savour, a goal of almost Buendia 'esque, beauty both in its making and its execution.

There was little coming back from the visitors other than a header glanced wide and a speculative long shot and it seemed a second home goal might come at any moment and when Ramsey got a free header to a Max Aarons cross I was half out of my seat but he miss timed it and it hit Teemu before bouncing away. A couple of times Nunez won the ball high up but got a bit over ambitious trying to repeat his "Pukki pass" and kept giving it to a defender.

As so often happens when the expected second goal doesn't come there is suddenly a chance at the other end just beyond the half hour the visitors had the ball in the net after a corner was half cleared. Thankfully the linesmans flag was up and after a bit of deliberation, ref Gavin Ward ruled it out, presumably for offside. It seemed to spur the home side on and Nunez soon went close when Ramsey set him up twenty five yards out. I felt our play deserved another goal and it duly came just before the break when Pukki spun away down the City left and poked a pass on to Ramsey, who might well have taken a shot but had the wherewithall to slide a pass across the face of goal for Josh Sargent to clip the ball into an unguarded net.

I nipped out for a quick visit to the mens room after this and apparently nearly missed another goal but I didn't see it so can't tell you what happened. In any event a satisfactory half concluded with a good round of cheers from the stands.

If we thought it was just a matter of counting the goals we were soon to be disappointed because from the restart Coventry appeared to up their game and should really have pulled a goal back in the opening minute. Somehow Hanley could only deflect a through ball into the path of Gyokeres and with the goal gaping should have been odds on to score but thankfully it was Tim to the rescue and the shot cannoned off his legs as he spread himself. A narrow escape should have been a wake up call but almost immediately a wayward pass set up Dabo who might have done better than fizz a low shot a couple of feet wide of the far post.

City had certainly hit a sticky patch and string of sloppy passing and poor decision making had the crowd getting justifiably nervous. Coventry were looking the more likely scorers at this stage but thankfully they were unable to take advantage of a very disjointed twenty minutes from the home side. It needed a change and mid way through the half Pukki, Byram  and Ramsey made way for Dowell, Hernandez and Sara a City began to get a better grip on the game. Hernandez was always a handful down the left and might have scored late on but after doing everything right in the set up he couldn't beat the Coventry keeper.

City had a bit more control as we moved into the final quarter and a third goal put the game bed when the industrious Cantwell put Sargent in the clear with ten minutes left. He was driven a bit wide but had the control to turn inside a defender and lay the ball across goal where Dowell arrived to slot a low shot under Wilson for game set and match. Hugill and Sinani came on for the final knockings and both might have added to the total as things became very stretched but all in all the score was a fair reflection on proceedings although a better team than Coventry might well have taken better advantage of the home sides sloppy twenty five minutes.

MOM is difficult because there were quite a number of good performances but also some mistakes. I thought Ramsey had his best game so far and Todd made a major step back to the player that we all know he can be. Teemu scored a lovely goal and set up another, as did Josh Sargent but for an all round ninety minutes I am giving it to Marcelino Nunez who probably touched the ball more and was involved more than anyone else on the pitch. I really believe he can only get better and better.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 9

14 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

The chance you missed was neat build up to put Sarge in with a chance. 

Thanks, I was still fumbling with my zip at the time.😀

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Unfortunately Sarge seemed to have the same problem 

5 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Thank god it wasn't buttons

• Haha 2

Odd to give motm to Nunez, I thought he wasn’t quite at the races today - funny how we all see different things.
 I thought Kenny played a good game - there, I’ve said it!  He was caught in possession once but helped out the defence several times and played well.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Odd to give motm to Nunez, I thought he wasn’t quite at the races today - funny how we all see different things.
 I thought Kenny played a good game - there, I’ve said it!  He was caught in possession once but helped out the defence several times and played well.

Exactly this. Nunez is clearly class, but he lost possession more than any other Norwich player. It's unusual to see someone caught in possession as many times as he was today. He will only get better with minutes on the pitch and I look forward to seeing him alongside Hayden or Sara as the season progresses. 

Edited by Petriix

5 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Exactly this. Nunez is clearly class, but he lost possession more than any other Norwich player. It's unusual to see someone caught in possession as many times as he was today. He will only get better with minutes on the pitch and I look for to seeing him alongside Hayden or Sara as the season progresses. 

The games come so thick and fast it's going to really tough for any player to maintain performance standards. Our saving grace is the depth of quality in the squad.

35 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Is that a euphemism?

55 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Good job he didn't score, you might have got old John Thomas caught.

I thought Nunez had another good game. Displayed a lot of energy and it has to be accepted that his positive style of football will lead to a few misplaced passes. I would much rather see this than dear old Kenny keep making square or back passes to a team mate ten yards away. Actually there were two occasions when a poor pass from Kenny put us in some trouble. Also thought young Ramsey showed a lot of energy and promise particularly in the first half.

For me our most frustrating performer was Max Aarons. Once again he was given acres of space to move forward but rarely threatened the opposing defence. I wish our coaches would tell him the general idea is to move the ball forward. I think it would be fair to say 90% of his passes were backwards. Perhaps this assessment spells out why he has not been purchased by another side !! Still remains a steady defender but lacks height and a physical presence to attract a big money transfer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vos said:

I thought Nunez had another good game. Displayed a lot of energy and it has to be accepted that his positive style of football will lead to a few misplaced passes. I would much rather see this than dear old Kenny keep making square or back passes to a team mate ten yards away. Actually there were two occasions when a poor pass from Kenny put us in some trouble. Also thought young Ramsey showed a lot of energy and promise particularly in the first half.

For me our most frustrating performer was Max Aarons. Once again he was given acres of space to move forward but rarely threatened the opposing defence. I wish our coaches would tell him the general idea is to move the ball forward. I think it would be fair to say 90% of his passes were backwards. Perhaps this assessment spells out why he has not been purchased by another side !! Still remains a steady defender but lacks height and a physical presence to attract a big money transfer.

Yes Max didn't  have one of his better games. I think Nunez kept trying to copy his first Pukki pass and couldn't  quite get it right again. 

I think we'll  have a better handle on things after we've played Burnley. Recent opponents have mostly been the also rans.

2 hours ago, Petriix said:

Exactly this. Nunez is clearly class, but he lost possession more than any other Norwich player. It's unusual to see someone caught in possession as many times as he was today. He will only get better with minutes on the pitch and I look forward to seeing him alongside Hayden or Sara as the season progresses. 

That's kind of his job - Nunez is like Stiepermann was in that regard in that he's tasked with hitting riskier attacking balls that yield good threats/chances if they come off.

There is an undeniable quality about Nunez. He did give the ball away a few times but he could be the difference in this league this time around. 

We've signed a few duds over recent seasons but the trade has been well worth it for the quality we've unearthed. 

I think Nunez could be a real player, if/when we get promoted and he is used to the English game, Sara the same.

1 hour ago, vos said:

Maybe he thought he was off, so having a bit of a sulk. He was OK in the first half, but the second half was pretty much all down our left. More so when Argos opened shop.

38 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

That's kind of his job - Nunez is like Stiepermann was in that regard in that he's tasked with hitting riskier attacking balls that yield good threats/chances if they come off.

Yes, to a point. But it's the slightly poor positioning and dwelling on the ball in our own half that concern me. I like him as that deep lying playmaker and I'm certain he'll develop his overall game. 

10 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think Nunez is between a rock and a hard place. When Hayden is fit, I think his role will becoming easier for him.

Agreed, but will we ever see Hayden?

10 hours ago, Petriix said:

Yes, to a point. But it's the slightly poor positioning and dwelling on the ball in our own half that concern me. I like him as that deep lying playmaker and I'm certain he'll develop his overall game. 

I just don't get that you can be so critical of a player (from South America) who has had such an outstanding start to his career in England.

He cost little more than £3m for goodness’ sake. What exactly do you expect taking all into account?

I, for one, am ecstatic about the boy.

For sure, he made his fair share of bloomers, and they were biggies, no doubt of that.

Give him time, he's allowed to learn, he'll surely tighten up.

Do you wish to inhibit his flair in favour of pragmaticism?

As has been stated already, Wes , himself, was not  averse to such frequent lapses, and as for the much revered Ian Crook, it was part and parcel of his game.

"Crook again," was my old man's frequent cry as his scapegoat lost the ball yet again in dangerous areas.

Marcelino will learn, but some of it will always come with the territory.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ricardo said:

Agreed, but will we ever see Hayden?

Doubt we will see him for a while if he is only running on grass. If he isn't kicking a ball that is a serious old flush out of the knee.

6 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

I just don't get that you can be so critical of a player (from South America) who has had such an outstanding start to his career in England.

He cost little more than £3m for goodness’ sake. What exactly do you expect taking all into account?

I, for one, am ecstatic about the boy.

For sure, he made his fair share of bloomers, and they were biggies, no doubt of that.

Give him time, he's allowed to learn, he'll surely tighten up.

Do you wish to inhibit his flair in favour of pragmaticism?

As has been stated already, Wes , himself, was not  averse to such frequent lapses, and as for the much revered Ian Crook, it was part and parcel of his game.

"Crook again," was my old man's frequent cry as his scapegoat lost the ball yet again in dangerous areas.

Marcelino will learn, but some of it will always come with the territory.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you've simply misunderstood my comment or missed the context. I'm sure you're not suggesting that we can't discuss the positives and negatives of an overall performance... 

To clarify: I think that was (by some distance) our best performance of the season. I think Nunez is a quality player who shows class and vision on the ball. He is (understandably) taking some time to adjust to the English game and does drift in the latter stages of games. I'm certain this will improve.

In the context of the last 12 months, reverting to a 4-2-3-1 with a central number 10 is a significant development. It's important to consider how Nunez fits into that. I think he's a perfect regista when paired with a more defensive 'enforcer'.

You have to be careful not to shut down the analysis and debate by becoming hyper defensive about the slightest criticism. It's important to look at the bigger picture.