Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Is Rashica our biggest big money flop?

3 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Absolutely, it should be legends up there. Take your pick who. 

Yep, Sara and Omo a very odd choice. Even if they wanted current players you've plenty of options of players who will always be fondly remembered here regardless of where they go in future; Pukki, Krul, Hanley, Aarons. Hell, the way he's going, Onel.

3 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Yep, Sara and Omo a very odd choice. Even if they wanted current players you've plenty of options of players who will always be fondly remembered here regardless of where they go in future; Pukki, Krul, Hanley, Aarons. Hell, the way he's going, Onel.

If it was me, I'd have this up there..... 

ERS5X9dWsAAFaNP.jpg

• Like 2

Rashica thought he was going to get a move, quite why is unbelievable.  Being dropped when last season he was a fixture a shock hope when he realises he is here for the long term might knuckle down and prove to be an asset.  If not its £8m p'eed up the wall.

9 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

They are just waiting until they can unveil a giant poster of Goran Maric.

2 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

If it was me, I'd have this up there..... 

ERS5X9dWsAAFaNP.jpg

Haha. Couldn't do it, though. It would really wind up the itfc fans when our U23s play them in the Papa Johns Trophy in thirty years' time.

6 hours ago, Petriix said:

It's a complicated question because there are lots of considerations.

The Naismith signing was certainly the biggest in purely financial terms because of the ridiculous decision to sign him with no wage reduction on relegation. A reported £2M per year on top of the £8M transfer fee was unsustainable in the Championship even for a top player, let alone a journeyman.

RVW just seems like a bad dream. He looked like an amateur then was quietly shipped out the back door.

For me the Rashica failure is more about the bigger picture. Going from the highs of winning the Championship with Skipp and Buendia to the lows of the Premier League with a new system featuring Gilmour and Rashica was a stark contrast.

Sticking with Rashica and watching his aimless runs and total failure to link up with Pukki for a whole season compounded things. Overall, his presence on the pitch made us worse overall. We could have played any of Mumba, Martin, Hernandez or Sinani.

Tzolis maybe has potential or maybe he's a total flop but at least he didn't occupy a starting position to the detriment of the team.

Let's not forget Klose who spent a long time injured and never consistently performed. His heart was in the right place but his body wasn't really up to it. 

All of our other big signings at least recouped their fees when we sold them. 

Klose played well when he arrived, honestly he looked like the centre back we had been crying out for. He was a signing that should have been made earlier in that he was an experienced CB, who didn't look out of his depth in the prem, could fit the system being played, and who was reasonably priced. I'm not convinced its the same thing as the others

He arrived fit and had had few major injuries before, then declined only because he picked up the kind of knocks that run you into the ground.

It was an unfortunate signing but not a stupid one.

15 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

And if not, what makes RVW a bigger one? At least he only flopped in the top tier, Rashica is currently flopping in the second tier!

£8,000,000 was a lot more to us then. 

15 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

And if not, what makes RVW a bigger one? At least he only flopped in the top tier, Rashica is currently flopping in the second tier!

1) Naismith.  2) RVB.   3) Hugill.    4) Tzolis.   5) Rashica.  6) Klose.  7) Placheta.   8) Gibson

5 poor signings in the last 12-18 months not good enough for what we need is a warning for the future. Webber needs to be more prudent with club money. The money wasted on the 5 could have have been better spent on 1 or 2 quality players. 

RVW is without doubt, in my mind at least, our worst ever signing by some distance, I can't think of any positive attribute he had and it was like playing with ten men with him in the team.

That team in 13/14 was crying out for a brutal beast up top. For a few more million we could have had Bony who went on to be a revelation for the Swans, hindsight is 20/20 though I spose.

I still can't understand why some of our fans still pine for RVW and blame dear old Hootun for his demise. If RVW was so good and not being utilised properly surely other Premiership teams would have realised this and upon our relegation be wanting to sign him? I wonder why that never happened.

I would add Yannick wildshut to this list as well.

Overpriced and not good enough.

I think rvw got a bad deal with us and was /is better than what we saw.

Team did not play to his strengths at all. Scored on his debut, snoddy stole a peno (and missed) and a worldie close range save from Jordan Pickford do not help his ncfc CV.

Edited by Nexus_Canary

Naismith is our worst ever signing. The only thing worse than Naismith is the Knucklehead who gave him the contract in the first place. I heard his Mrs was claiming off the club for flying up to see him whilst he was on loan.

I'm not prepared to give up on Milot just yet and hope that Deano can get something out of him this season. Certainly I wouldn't be selling for less than we paid and I can't see Webber agreeing to that either.

2 hours ago, Mullet said:

1) Naismith.  2) RVB.   3) Hugill.    4) Tzolis.   5) Rashica.  6) Klose.  7) Placheta.  😎 Gibson

5 poor signings in the last 12-18 months not good enough for what we need is a warning for the future. Webber needs to be more prudent with club money. The money wasted on the 5 could have have been better spent on 1 or 2 quality players. 

Placheta was only £2.5m so probably doesn't qualify as big money, and if it does qualify then I give you... Marcel Franke!

2 hours ago, Mullet said:

1) Naismith.  2) RVB.   3) Hugill.    4) Tzolis.   5) Rashica.  6) Klose.  7) Placheta.  😎 Gibson

Hugill? Eh? He was signed for not that much money to be a backup striker option in the Championship and did that job.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

Hugill? Eh? He was signed for not that much money to be a backup striker option in the Championship and did that job.

£5m is a pretty hefty outlay for a 4th choice striker in a Championship side to be fair.

But he doesn't make my top 5 biggest big money flops.

Rashica is a contender. Perhaps worrying that Smith apparently wanted him at Villa when the quoted price was £20m. We thought we were getting him on a cut price deal at half that. 

I've always just assumed that there is a player in there, I'm increasingly wondering weather Wildschut would have contributed more if given Rashicas minutes this season, and that's saying something.