Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

From Borussia with Love.

Makes more sense that he chose Mönchengladbach over Schalke. Their tradition, as their nickname "die Fohlen" (the foals) makes clear, was for fast, aggressive football built around a lot of young players and that was when they were really at their peak in the 70s with guys like Berti Vogts.

Schalke could have been a case of PTSD too far. They won the 2. Bundesliga last season to get promoted into the Bundesliga for this new season, but still might have financial issues to sort out. Mönchengladbach are settled in the top flight but have lost their way a bit over the last couple of seasons so Farke's got more room to manoeuvre early on.

I just hope they give him time. He showed that with us, with youngsters, he will get things to stick and the Bundesliga isn't quite as physically intense as the Premier League.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Makes more sense that he chose Mönchengladbach over Schalke. Their tradition, as their nickname "die Fohlen" (the foals) makes clear, was for fast, aggressive football built around a lot of young players and that was when they were really at their peak in the 70s with guys like Berti Vogts.

Schalke could have been a case of PTSD too far. They won the 2. Bundesliga last season to get promoted into the Bundesliga for this new season, but still might have financial issues to sort out. Mönchengladbach are settled in the top flight but have lost their way a bit over the last couple of seasons so Farke's got more room to manoeuvre early on.

I just hope they give him time. He showed that with us, with youngsters, he will get things to stick and the Bundesliga isn't quite as physically intense as the Premier League.

It'll be interesting to see what level of patience he gets there. His football took a little while to take hold here and there will be pressure to help push them back up the table. The other element is it seems quite clear he wasn't first choice- they wanted Favre- so does that affect how much time he is given? 

14 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Will he need his horse to control the foals?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Can't help but compare this with David Wagner going to Schalke which didn't turn out too well. Wagner and Farke had similar levels of success over here. Hope it works out better for Daniel. I still think he was great for us and wish him all the best. 

Edited by Rottingdean canary

“Monchengladbach!” - Del Trotter trying to speak to a German Au Pair. That has to be up there with “Ajax!” when he arrived in the Netherlands on a boat to avoid looking my suspicious!🤣🤣🤣.

In all seriousness though, good luck Daniel.

Reminds me of a rival team in a five-a-side league I played in called Borussia Munchinflapjack.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Reminds me of a rival team in a five-a-side league I played in called Borussia Munchinflapjack.

My old neighbour plays for them!

47 minutes ago, Satriales said:

Impressive looking stadium. Wish him luck, looks like a big job to land.

They've even got their own hotel next door to the stadium. 😀

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Gone to a bigger club than us. Anyone think Smith will leave us and end up at a bigger club?

Much bigger than us but that isn't really a surprise, in fact I think a top German club is what most of us were expecting would be his next move after he left us and it is certainly the sort of job he deserves after all he achieved for us.

Still intensely frsutrating though that, were it not for Webber's mind-blowing stupidity, he would still be here with 3 years to run on his contract.

Really hope he does well and will definitely try and catch some of the games - should be an enjoyable escape from the grim prospect of watching Dean Smith's NCFC team week in, week out.

• Like 1