Sign in to follow this  
Greavsy

Looks like Gilmour's not returning........

This was written by someone who cant find Norwich on the map and has never watched a Norwich game.
What utterly sh1te journalism. 

1 hour ago, Nexus_Canary said:

This was written by someone who cant find Norwich on the map and has never watched a Norwich game.

Thought you meant CC then! 😊 

• Haha 1

I know I may be slated for this, but I feel some sympathy for Gilmour. Just as Derby became 'Frank Lampard's Derby County' for a while, Gilmour has now become 'Loan flop Billy Gilmour'.

In my opinion, though, he always tried his best. He was asked to play a role of which he was incapable in a very limited squad. Our entire midfield was rubbish, not just him, and it was very badly organised from the start to the end of the season. Essentially, we had no-one to perform the DM role, which meant the whole house of cards just collapsed.

And the fault for that doesn't lie with Gilmour.

Edited by canarybubbles
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Nexus_Canary said:

In the early 70s a veteran newsman told me he was proud to be known as a reporter (deals with facts in his view), but was wary of those who announced themselves as journalists (embellish facts in his view). A bit harsh but I got the drift and it's probably closer to the truth now than it was then. 

1 minute ago, TheDarkKnight said:

100%

People use the "Gilmour needs good players around him" as a stick to beat him with, but isn't that true with all players?

Take Paul Pogba for example: at Juventus he had Pirlo, Vidal, Marchisio around him. Pogba looked world class. At Manchester United he has Fred and McTominay and Bruno around him, he looks ordinary.

Gilmour will definitely make his mark on one of the big three leagues.

It may sound weird to say this, but I think this season could be the making of Gilmour. If he has the strength of character to let failure toughen him up, and to understand what he can do and what he can't do, he will become a much better player.

Sadly, if this happens, Norwich will see none of the benefit, only the cost.

If he plays well against Ukraine in the play offs. I'm expecting him to be joining Man City next with a "BETTER THAN MESSI" tag

On 31/05/2022 at 21:30, Branston Pickle said:

That’s almost a shame, from what we saw the Championship is probably his current level week-in-week-out.

But but he plays for the Scottish national team surely that makes him eligible for a top 6 PL side. I mean in all probability playing for Norwich was too big a downward step for him which dragged him down several levels :) 

Based on his "performance" tonight for Scotland he might want to consider a loan to Town next year.

Ipswich Town that would be. 

Absolutely shocking. No physical presence, no direction, passing abysmal. 

But hey, a future Chelsea superstar eh?

16 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

100%

People use the "Gilmour needs good players around him" as a stick to beat him with, but isn't that true with all players?

Take Paul Pogba for example: at Juventus he had Pirlo, Vidal, Marchisio around him. Pogba looked world class. At Manchester United he has Fred and McTominay and Bruno around him, he looks ordinary.

Gilmour will definitely make his mark on one of the big three leagues.

I suspect you are right that he will play in a top league, when it comes to playing in a top team in a top league do you think the top teams accommodate midfielders who have that sort of fundamental floor, I.e. they can’t tackle?

1 hour ago, Newtopia said:

I suspect you are right that he will play in a top league, when it comes to playing in a top team in a top league do you think the top teams accommodate midfielders who have that sort of fundamental floor, I.e. they can’t tackle?

Often, if you are tackling, then someone has already made a mistake. The problem for our midfield was that they were often called on to make a tackle due to terrible positioning and yet, they couldn't do that either.

17 minutes ago, 1902 said:

Often, if you are tackling, then someone has already made a mistake. The problem for our midfield was that they were often called on to make a tackle due to terrible positioning and yet, they couldn't do that either.

True, I think Chelsea, Liverpool, and Man City, expect every player to be effective in the press or in recovery.  From what I saw last season Billy does look like he would be good at that. 

On 01/06/2022 at 02:55, Surfer said:

From the article ...

Gilmour has shown flashes of absolute brilliance that suggest he could be a real star of the future 

Yeah absolutely .. this 

The 20-year-old managed 24 league games for Norwich with one assist 

No way! Say it isn't so? 

I know, I lost count of the comments that at best made me raise an eyebrow Roger Moore-style, but more often snort unattractively. See also:

”there were plenty of signs of promise from the youngster during his time there”

“he put in a number of good showings for the side during his time there”

“they might have hoped to have the midfielder back again”

the chances of him making a return to Norwich in any capacity would take a blow”

And finally:

The Verdict

Billy Gilmour has shown flashes of absolute brilliance that suggest he could be a real star of the future if treated correctly and utilised properly over the next few seasons.

Which should have read “The Verdict: This site is fully of sh*t”.

2 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Paolo Maldin said if he had to make a tackle, he's probably made a mistake (not verbatim).

Tackling and slide tackles are no a part of football anywhere. It's been replaced by pressing (closing down) and forcing mistakes.

It is the pressing and winning the ball Is what I mean, that obviously covers closing down, positioning, and tackling.  Not sure what Maldini means, I saw him play several times, he was an excellent tackler,

2 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Yeah. I do think his workmate is pretty good. A lot better than McTominay.

lol. I know. I think his main objective was to stay on his feet as much as possible and only tackle as a last resort or when he was 100% convinced he'd win the ball.

Agreed. Best tackler I've ever seen. On par with Baresi.

(Was going to say "best tackle I've ever seen", but I don't want to turn this thread into a "Carry On..." tribute. 😛)

I agree Billy does work hard, but he just doesn’t effect the opposition.  Hopefully it will come

• Like 1

Billy Gilmour will never make it as a top level player ever, he just doesn't have it. 

Thankfully he'll never be our problem again. 

Watched all home games Gilmore has played in and must admit he seems nothing more than a Thursday league player 

Whoever made the decision to bring him here needs sacking