Sign in to follow this  
yellow_belly

Soccerbot

5 hours ago, repman said:

What data says that Kenny is our best midfielder? 

Also your understanding of expected goals seems quite a way off.

I am just trying to make a point about how data is becoming more entwined in football. 
Maybe we buy players by data reports?

There must be a reason why we are the only club in the U.K. to buy one unless we were a loss leader. Perhaps it made players think they were better than they really were.

16 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Why have we never seen the first team in it ?

Exactly why? Has it broken down?

This requires high physical effort, and mental effort too. To assist with sharpening the minds, Rangnick utilised technology to help improve his players at RB Leipzig.

And Rangers have just knocked his former expensively assembled squad out of europe. I believe the webber man went to visit Rangnick for advice. Maybe that's why Man U. Have been sh!te ( no soccerbot. 

So a good old diet of deep fried mars bars , blackpudding , haggis and square sausage propels you to a Europe Final. 

😃😃😃😃😃🤬

7 minutes ago, Felixfan said:

There must be a reason why we are the only club in the U.K. to buy one unless we were a loss leader. Perhaps it made players think they were better than they really were.

You could well be on to something there. 😏 

3 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

Yep. Let's just reject all modernisation while our competitors find more ways to find marginal gains. Just get them running up that hill and switch back to 4-4-2.

Why are people so threatened by science? It's baffling.

Not threatened by modernisation 

Are we looking for a home for technology to solve a problem that does not exist. 

still do not know of any other club with Soccerbot. Wonder why?

1 hour ago, percy varco said:

I am just trying to make a point about how data is becoming more entwined in football. 
Maybe we buy players by data reports?

There is a transfer committee. Head of data analysis is one person on that committee. There was literally an article on it this season. We are not buying players based on football manager.

4 minutes ago, percy varco said:

Not threatened by modernisation 

Are we looking for a home for technology to solve a problem that does not exist. 

still do not know of any other club with Soccerbot. Wonder why?

Apart from the best youth creation team Dortmund you mean? 
What problem doesn’t exist that I’m trying to shoehorn technology into? What are you referring to?

2 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

There is a transfer committee. Head of data analysis is one person on that committee. There was literally an article on it this season. We are not buying players based on football manager.

Interesting HY.  I'd be interested who all the people on the transfer committee are . That would be of interest for sure. Can you name names or are you sworn to secrecy ? 🤔

37 minutes ago, Mengo said:

Interesting HY.  I'd be interested who all the people on the transfer committee are . That would be of interest for sure. Can you name names or are you sworn to secrecy ? 🤔

Webber, the Manager, Head of recruitment, Head of data analysis. I should imagine Adams would be involved too.

49 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

Webber, the Manager, Head of recruitment, Head of data analysis. I should imagine Adams would be involved too.

Thanks for this. Just a quote from the man himself.

Webber was also confident in what his new Head Coach’s remit will be, how this will fit into the club’s football structure and how views are changing towards football management and governance.

“In terms of recruitment, they’ll always have the final say, but not the only say. That’s key, because what happens is if they have the only say they end up getting sacked.

A bit off topic but it's a interesting quote and could well be discussed on a different  thread.

2 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

Apart from the best youth creation team Dortmund you mean? 
What problem doesn’t exist that I’m trying to shoehorn technology into? What are you referring to?

I'm concerned that you're having to argue with someone who doesn't have any of the facts in order to reasonably do so. First he said it cost several million and now he thinks we are the only club to ever have one 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mengo said:

Thanks for this. Just a quote from the man himself.

Webber was also confident in what his new Head Coach’s remit will be, how this will fit into the club’s football structure and how views are changing towards football management and governance.

“In terms of recruitment, they’ll always have the final say, but not the only say. That’s key, because what happens is if they have the only say they end up getting sacked.

A bit off topic but it's a interesting quote and could well be discussed on a different  thread.

Yeah so he is defining the difference between a head coach and a manager in that quote. The traditional manager role is becoming less prevalent. 

We, and basically every other club with a functioning youth system, spend £750,000 on youth players who never make it every other year. Nobody bats an eyelid at that.

I'd rather see us try something that no one else has (for a relatively small sum of money) and it not work, than just replicate what everyone else does. It's like every investment, some offer returns and some dont.

The mistake the club made wasn't buying soccerbot, it was the publicity they attached to it.

Also, and I know this is a grim thought, but what if we have been improved by soccerbot and without it we would have been even worse.....

On 12/05/2022 at 13:12, Midlands Yellow said:

What, chuck it in the pool? 

Could have an electrifying impact?

Webber generally is a bit behind the times in football, this type of thing is pretty useless now, we already have players who can play one touch football and have decent vision. Modern PL football is more about how good you are at dribbling the ball and running with it, how fast you are and how strong you are. I don't think most of our players would need the type of training this would provide, they need to get in the gym and build some explosive power. Football sucks now, it's all about physicality and pace, but if we want to compete we have to embrace that as well, I just think when we buy things like this it shows we're going all in on possession football but it became outdated 5 or 6 years ago.

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

9 hours ago, hogesar said:

I'm concerned that you're having to argue with someone who doesn't have any of the facts in order to reasonably do so. First he said it cost several million and now he thinks we are the only club to ever have one 

I have no idea how much it cost. 
No other club in UK has one. 
Personally I believe as a society we have situations where we use technology to solve a problem that does not exist.

Not arguing just having an opinion. Maybe we are way ahead and in a few years every club will have a soccerbot and my opinion will change. But for now…………..

p.s. I am not a ludite😀

enjoy the sunshine

43 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Webber generally is a bit behind the times in football, this type of thing is pretty useless now, we already have players who can play one touch football and have decent vision. Modern PL football is more about how good you are at dribbling the ball and running with it, how fast you are and how strong you are. I don't think most of our players would need the type of training this would provide, they need to get in the gym and build some explosive power. Football sucks now, it's all about physicality and pace, but if we want to compete we have to embrace that as well, I just think when we buy things like this it shows we're going all in on possession football but it became outdated 5 or 6 years ago.

The soccerbot is supposed to be used for all the development teams from the under 9s up so it’s not just about the 1st team - it would be very useful working on passing and vision with the development teams

For the 1st team I think it’s as much as anything about replaying real life match situations and working on improved decision making. You can still work on strength and speed as well in the gym

Not directly connected but I love Scott Parker’s half time team talk for Bournemouth vs Forest. Apart from the passion, I love how specific and detailed his instructions are

He’s using a video to illustrate but I imagine they use soccerbot to really work on how individual players react to specific situations after the game

3 hours ago, percy varco said:

I have no idea how much it cost. 
No other club in UK has one. 
Personally I believe as a society we have situations where we use technology to solve a problem that does not exist.

Not arguing just having an opinion. Maybe we are way ahead and in a few years every club will have a soccerbot and my opinion will change. But for now…………..

p.s. I am not a ludite😀

enjoy the sunshine

Let's be honest, we don't know. It could literally offer us nothing. It could sway a couple of young prospects to choose us because they think we are forward thinking, even if the device itself isn't all that. I just think the spend was small enough for it to not draw complaints when we don't even know the results!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

You’ve heard it here first folks. No one works on passing and passing decision making anymore. They are all down the gym lifting and running round the car park. Webber, hope you take note.